White sox may be reconsidering their stance of being non sellers

Whisox05

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
Sources continue expressing doubt #WhiteSox will move Sale or Quintana. That said, #Dodgers have pieces to make overwhelming offer. @MLB

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/756143995336597505

Kershaw may be needing surgery and possibly wont be back this year.

Unbelieve, if we miss out on trading either to the Dodgers for an overwhelming offer, and someone below the quality of Q or Sale receives it, Hahn should be fired. This is what we wait for, a team to take advantage of.

I just don't want to see Rich Hill traded for a great package while we're twiddling around

Edited by Flash Tizzle

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)
Unbelieve, if we miss out on trading either to the Dodgers for an overwhelming offer, and someone below the quality of Q or Sale receives it, Hahn should be fired. This is what we wait for, a team to take advantage of.

I just don't want to see Rich Hill traded for a great package while we're twiddling around

Prepare to be disappointed, man. There is no way in hell that Q or Sale are going anywhere. The Sox won't even trade Robertson as they think that this current cast of clowns will be able to compete again next year with a few minor tweaks and additions.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
Sources continue expressing doubt #WhiteSox will move Sale or Quintana. That said, #Dodgers have pieces to make overwhelming offer. @MLB

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/756143995336597505

Kershaw may be needing surgery and possibly wont be back this year.

If I trade Sale or Q, Dodgers are on my short list of teams who have the talent. I do think we should be looking at moving Abreu, Frazier, Robertson, Gonzalez (I am sure someone would have interest in him give how he has pitched), Duke, and Melky. Long-term they aren't in the plans, imo, and for most of them there is some value you should get. One could argue whether you want to trade low on some of the names mentioned. Than you have guys like Lawrie, who I could move, but it isn't like he's overly pricey, etc. Nate Jones is another guy you could move, but he's signed to an affordable deal and could fit into the longer term strategy.

I also view this as you don't have to move Sale / Q or you could as part of the retool. Shields could also be moved as well (4 straight quality starts), but his contract isn't a huge hinderance. The hard part is, who do you move now vs. who do you move in the off-season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
Seems like a fair trade straight up, to be honest

I can't trade Sale straight up for anyone in the game. If we move Sale, it has to be to get multiple pieces, otherwise I don't see how the deal puts us in any better spot long term. If I were going to move him, I presume a package could be built around Urias, Pederson, Jose Deleon, and at least another interesting piece (potentially Austin Barnes or something along those lines).

If I was asking for Seager it would be Seager and Pederson for Sale that I'd want and even than I struggle (and I also know the Dodgers wouldn't make that deal either). By the way, in any of these deals, their is a lot of bust risk, especially given how good Chris Sale is. But if I'm making this deal, I'm asking for quite a few guys that I think can be everyday players and who have upside to be potential all stars. I don't know that you will get anyone who has potential upside to be as good as Chris Sale currently is (and assuming so is just absurd).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
I can't trade Sale straight up for anyone in the game. If we move Sale, it has to be to get multiple pieces, otherwise I don't see how the deal puts us in any better spot long term.

It was Q for Seager that he was talking about

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
I can't trade Sale straight up for anyone in the game. If we move Sale, it has to be to get multiple pieces, otherwise I don't see how the deal puts us in any better spot long term.

Straight up for Q, not Sale, just an FYI.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
It was Q for Seager that he was talking about

To be honest, I don't think the Dodgers make that deal. I think Sale is the easier guy to get fair value for (which is an absurd amount of talent too) as I think with Q, he is just in general underappreciated.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
Trading Eaton? Absolutely not.

On the other hand, you'd be trading him at peak value, but I agree, given our biggest issue is a lack of quality position players, I have a hard time moving Eaton.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
On the other hand, you'd be trading him at peak value, but I agree, given our biggest issue is a lack of quality position players, I have a hard time moving Eaton.

If the plan is to rebuild, everyone is for sale in my world. If the whole team is sold and bad, you might as well move Eaton.

Maybe the front office will try some kind of half measured "rebuild". They could keep the pitching, but try to assemble a better offense. That has been their biggest weakness. That middle of the order, consisting of Abreu, Melky and Frazier is not really very productive. With Abreu having an off year, and Frazier being an all or nothing slugger, they are not likely to score enough runs to make this squad contenders.

Frazier seems to be the trade chip, most likely to net something worthwhile. I like Melky, and his left handed bat, but he is not a #3 or 4 hitter. They need two studs at those two spots. Maybe Collins will be one of them, in a year, or two, but unless Jose rebounds, he doesn't measure up. He has been the biggest disappointment for me, of anyone on the roster. A third consecutive year of .300, with 30 homers and 100 driven in, would have been great, but it doesn't look like he's going to get there.

A stellar staff is too hard and too costly to assemble. They have the pieces to accomplish that, and with the potential of Rodon, Fullmer and Hansen, they may ultimately be able to move Sale, or Quintana. However, for the time being, it might make more sense to keep the starting staff together, and try to concentrate on fixing the offense, for next season.

I think Frazier and Robertson are the two guys who should be shopped the hardest. Depending upon what they get back, they could then focus on filling the rest of the remaining holes. Does anyone think that Davidson might be capable of holding down the hot corner, next season? If so, the infield could be set with Davidson, Anderson Lawrie and Abreu. If not, they would have to go outside the organization to replace Frazier. I don't like moving Lawrie back to 3RD. I like his defense at second much better and his bat plays pretty well there. There aren't that many second basemen who put up much better offensive numbers than he has, so far.

I think that they have to find a good centerfield replacement, in any trade for Frazier and, or Robertson. I believe that most of us agree that Eaton should stay in RF

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
Prepare to be disappointed, man. There is no way in hell that Q or Sale are going anywhere. The Sox won't even trade Robertson as they think that this current cast of clowns will be able to compete again next year with a few minor tweaks and additions.

They'll just never learn. We have BOTH starters pitching well with atleast one team in desperate need, and two more requiring a front line starter.

If Quintana or Sale become injured after this year (which i understand is the risk with any player) and we ultimately get nothing as a result, it will be one of the greatest failures of the Hahn regime.

Please, let's be smart and sell high for once.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to move everyone on the Major League roster except Anderson, Rodon and Fulmer. I know that's not going to happen but I'm all in on blowing the whole damn thing up and trying to completely rebuild with what you acquire with Sale, Q, Eaton, etc.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
To put the tag "untouchable" on Eaton is foolish. Nobody has a gun to the Sox head to trade anyone, but they should listen, and again, be thinking solely about 2019 and beyond.

Ok well they clearly arent. So trading Eaton is silly. His value is incredible right now. Sure you listen. But that's it. No need to actively shop one of the most valuable price wise and defenders in the league.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
They'll just never learn. We have BOTH starters pitching well with atleast one team in desperate need, and two more requiring a front line starter.

If Quintana or Sale become injured after this year (which i understand is the risk with any player) and we ultimately get nothing as a result, it will be one of the greatest failures of the Hahn regime.

Please, let's be smart and sell high for once.

It's so obvious the Sox should tear it down over the next 6 months. I hope they realize that.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
Ok well they clearly arent. So trading Eaton is silly. His value is incredible right now. Sure you listen. But that's it. No need to actively shop one of the most valuable price wise and defenders in the league.

I see where you're coming from but if we're not going to trade any of our top trade chips then what's the point? Just try to reload again and again and again like we've been doing? Seems like a bad plan to me at this point.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)
Maybe the front office will try some kind of half measured "rebuild". They could keep the pitching, but try to assemble a better offense. That has been their biggest weakness. That middle of the order, consisting of Abreu, Melky and Frazier is not really very productive. With Abreu having an off year, and Frazier being an all or nothing slugger, they are not likely to score enough runs to make this squad contenders.

The type of offensive and defensive talent the Sox need just don't become available on the open market. You need to draft and develop them in your organization or trade your working pieces for future stars.

Frazier seems to be the trade chip, most likely to net something worthwhile. I like Melky, and his left handed bat, but he is not a #3 or 4 hitter. They need two studs at those two spots. Maybe Collins will be one of them, in a year, or two, but unless Jose rebounds, he doesn't measure up. He has been the biggest disappointment for me, of anyone on the roster. A third consecutive year of .300, with 30 homers and 100 driven in, would have been great, but it doesn't look like he's going to get there.

You're taking so much more risk trading Frazier or Melky. Neither of them will draw back the haul one of Sale or Q would draw.

A stellar staff is too hard and too costly to assemble. They have the pieces to accomplish that, and with the potential of Rodon, Fullmer and Hansen, they may ultimately be able to move Sale, or Quintana. However, for the time being, it might make more sense to keep the starting staff together, and try to concentrate on fixing the offense, for next season.

Having young talent opens up the payroll to acquire pitching, and for all the crap we give Hahn, he and Kenny know pitching.

I think Frazier and Robertson are the two guys who should be shopped the hardest. Depending upon what they get back, they could then focus on filling the rest of the remaining holes. Does anyone think that Davidson might be capable of holding down the hot corner, next season? If so, the infield could be set with Davidson, Anderson Lawrie and Abreu. If not, they would have to go outside the organization to replace Frazier. I don't like moving Lawrie back to 3RD. I like his defense at second much better and his bat plays pretty well there. There aren't that many second basemen who put up much better offensive numbers than he has, so far.

We need to stop using the term "being set". Unless you're consistently winning in the postseason, you're never "set". Being "set" doesn't win you anything.

I think that they have to find a good centerfield replacement, in any trade for Frazier and, or Robertson. I believe that most of us agree that Eaton should stay in RF

Move Sale, Q could net you a future center fielder. Finding one will be tough.