It's that time of year again...2016 edition

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 20, 2016 -> 04:09 AM)
A ten game losing streak would be great right now

I think we'll have a huge losing streak before it's over. I'd say something like a 2-10 run. My guess is we win seven games in September. Where will that put the Sox in the draft?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 19, 2016 -> 11:39 PM)
I think we'll have a huge losing streak before it's over. I'd say something like a 2-10 run. My guess is we win seven games in September. Where will that put the Sox in the draft?

I am expecting a terrible September as well because there are no impact players that they can call up. And a lot of the young players that have been called up (with the exception of Anderson) have not been performing well.

They play a lot of divisional games during the final stretch and hopefully that continues to be a thorn in their side, plus teams like the Royals and Rockies are doing everything they can to get into the playoffs.

I think talent evaluation is as important and sometimes even more important than Draft position. We have had some first round dogs, and I hate to call Fulmer one, but he might become another bust. You go into full tank mode to get a player like that?

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 21, 2016 -> 07:41 PM)
I think talent evaluation is as important and sometimes even more important than Draft position. We have had some first round dogs, and I hate to call Fulmer one, but he might become another bust. You go into full tank mode to get a player like that?

For the 15 billionth time - The jury is very much still out on Fulmer. Absolutely NO reason to give up on him yet.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 21, 2016 -> 09:41 PM)

I think we are spoiled by the likes of Sale and Rodon. Most guys spend time in the minors.

Talent evaluation is quite weak and people want to blow it up. Sometimes luck can play a part. The Sox don't have that either.

That's true. He might become another bust. He also might become a mediocre Major League pitcher. Better yet, he might become a star Major League pitcher, maybe even an ace. Anything is possible at this point. He just hasn't been around long enough for any of us to know what the outcome will be. So give him some time before you start setting up his MLB tombstone!

This FO can't properly evaluate even veteran talent.

I think they, at least Hahn, is okay with the young guys. But he/they want veterans and the evaluation of vets is hideous.

Look at Hahn trading for Shields.

Look at the Peavy trade: Williams insisted on Avi; Hahn and his Scouts found the A ball players. The A ball guys were the better part of the trade.

Edited by GreenSox

While certainly true, you still have more pool money and there is a difference between picking 11 or 10th in the current system.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 06:52 AM)
This FO can't properly evaluate even veteran talent.

I think they, at least Hahn, is okay with the young guys. But he/they want veterans and the evaluation of vets is hideous.

Look at Hahn trading for Shields.

Look at the Peavy trade: Williams insisted on Avi; Hahn and his Scouts found the A ball players. The A ball guys were the better part of the trade.

So Hahn was selling him as a possible or future CFer when he didn't believe in him at all?

And Hahn wanted Iglesias, KW wanted Avi?

Source?

And what scouts did Hahn bring in that weren't there already?

KW brought in Paddy, shouldn't he have been the one who targeted Montas...or assigned a scout because he already knew Montas when he was with Toronto competing with Boston for Latin American talent?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
So Hahn was selling him as a possible or future CFer when he didn't believe in him at all?

And Hahn wanted Iglesias, KW wanted Avi?

Source?

And what scouts did Hahn bring in that weren't there already?

KW brought in Paddy, shouldn't he have been the one who targeted Montas...or assigned a scout because he already knew Montas when he was with Toronto competing with Boston for Latin American talent?

raBBIt has stated multiple times that Hahn actually wanted Middlebrooks as the headliner which is just as bad. KW wanted Garcia.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 08:18 AM)
raBBIt has stated multiple times that Hahn actually wanted Middlebrooks as the headliner which is just as bad. KW wanted Garcia.

I mean technically, Hahn hired Paddy and Hostetler for their current positions. Were they recommended by KW? Possibly