White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 04:31 AM)
A White Sox org flaw, not a Russell one.

Exactly, someone like Schwarber would be harder to mess up, IMO.

Doesn't matter, don't think Cubs would consider dealing Schwarber or Russell.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 10:33 PM)
Injured DH missing his sophomore season after a downward trend to his rookie year for a HOF pitcher?

Yeah, starts with one of the untouchables. You don't get an untouchable star like Sale. for an injured DH.

Bryant is a non-starter as he's better than Sale. As far as Russell, that's like asking Houston to part with Correa. He's 22 and improving. He's not going anywhere.

Schwarber, Baez, Contreras is more than enough to cover Sale.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 10:33 PM)
Exactly, someone like Schwarber would be harder to mess up, IMO.

Doesn't matter, don't think Cubs would consider dealing Schwarber or Russell.

They definitely won't because the Cubs value Russell and Schwarber too much.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 10:35 PM)
Bryant is a non-starter as he's better than Sale. As far as Russell, that's like asking Houston to part with Correa. He's 22 and improving. He's not going anywhere.

LOL!! YOU leave the "stupid" out of the discussion, please. LOL!!

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 10:40 PM)
LOL!! You leave the "stupid" out of the discussion please. LOL!!

He's that valuable to the Cubs organization and looks like a great player.

Now, if you'll let the adults talk...

PS: your idiotic avatar is a joke.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 08:35 PM)

I smell what you're stepping in, but I agree with some of the others who think you've got to step up and trade a guy like Russell for someone like Sale.

I've been a proponent of moving Sale for 2 years now. He simply came along at the wrong time for us. That doesn't mean he can't have a place in our next playoff run; it just won't be with him in our uniform.

That being said, Sale is the type of player that you have to make an opposing GM give up a player that truly causes him pain. I'm not sure if that is Bryant, but it certainly could be a guy like Russell. I get it...teams don't want to subtract from the big league club in a playoff race, but teams don't generally trade HOF caliber SPs with team-friendly contracts either. This isn't going to happen because a team moves all prospects - no matter how many - this happens because a team goes out on a limb and moves their young star that it was ultra painful to move but they decided to move because they determined Sale could get them a championship.

We all know who that team is. It sure as hell isn't the Cubs.

It's Dave Dombrowski and the Boston Red Sox.

Edited by iamshack

I mean, Russell isn't Correa and Bryant isn't a "starting point" for Sale as he's one of the guys in baseball that's more valuable than Chris. I don't know why we have to go so far in either direction discussing a deal.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 09:47 PM)
I smell what you're stepping in, but I agree with some of the others who think you've got to step up and trade a guy like Russell for someone like Sale.

I've been a proponent of moving Sale for 2 years now. He simply came along at the wrong time for us. That doesn't mean he can't have a place in our next playoff run; it just won't be with him in our uniform.

That being said, Sale is the type of player that you have to make an opposing GM give up a player that truly causes him pain. I'm not sure if that is Bryant, but it certainly could be a guy like Russell. I get it...teams don't want to subtract from the big league club in a playoff race, but teams don't generally trade HOF caliber SPs with team-friendly pitchers either. This isn't going to happen because a team moves all prospects - no matter how many - this happens because a team goes out on a limb and moves their young star that it was ultra painful to move but they decided to move because they determined Sale could get them a championship.

We all know who that team is. It sure as hell isn't the Cubs.

It's Dave Dombrowski and the Boston Red Sox.

Bingo. He's swings for the fences. Ala David Price

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 10:47 PM)
I mean, Russell isn't Correa and Bryant isn't a "starting point" for Sale as he's one of the guys in baseball that's more valuable than Chris. I don't know why we have to go so far in either direction discussing a deal.

I just wish we could discuss the Cubs as though they played in Spokane, because in reality they're just another team with assets they could stand to move.

You wouldn't ask the Angels for Trout, you wouldn't ask the Astros for Altuve. For the same reason, you don't ask the Cubs for Bryant. It's just not productive, as no team would reasonably trade those two guys.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 03:52 AM)
I just wish we could discuss the Cubs as though they played in Spokane, because in reality they're just another team with assets they could stand to move.

Again, Hahn said in the offseason something along the lines of that you would hate to see someone you trade to the Cubs end up flourishing there.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 08:52 PM)

You wouldn't ask the Angels for Trout, you wouldn't ask the Astros for Altuve. For the same reason, you don't ask the Cubs for Bryant. It's just not productive, as no team would reasonably trade those two guys.

I would ask the Angels for Trout, because they don't have anything else worth a s***.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 10:53 PM)
Again, Hahn said in the offseason something along the lines of that you would hate to see someone you trade to the Cubs end up flourishing there.

You would hate to see any player you trade to any team end up flourishing there.

There's no question in my mind the Red Sox are the best fit for Sale, because you don't have to get a piece off their major league roster. Moncada, Benintendi, Devers, & Kopech is an incredible start. Throw in a couple more B-level prospects and you have a deal too good to pass up.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 11:00 PM)
There's no question in my mind the Red Sox are the best fit for Sale, because you don't have to get a piece off their major league roster. Moncada, Benintendi, Devers, & Kopech is an incredible start. Throw in a couple more B-level prospects and you have a deal too good to pass up.

The idea of doing that PLUS a deal involving Q is instantly a giant step ahead for an organization.

You know I am not in favor of trading Sale. I am in favor of selling selling. It makes no sense.

What you do is keep Sale and Q and Abreu and Eaton and Anderson and absolutley trade everybody else and try again. It's almost too late already. We're waiting too long again this year and I don't like it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 11:01 PM)
You know I am not in favor of trading Sale. I am in favor of selling selling. It makes no sense.

What you do is keep Sale and Q and Abreu and Eaton and Anderson and absolutley trade everybody else and try again. It's almost too late already. We're waiting too long again this year and I don't like it.

With free agency thin, how do you plug all the holes to compete next season while hanging on to them? Trading all the others probably doesn't accomplish that.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)
You could ask for Russell in my opinion since the Cubs could plug in Baez at short. Maybe a step down but suitable replacement.

There's a solid argument to be made that Baez has been the better overall player this year and might just be the better of the two. He always seemed like he had the higher ceiling of the two of them but was also had the lower floor. Unless JR changes his mind, he'll never allow the Sox to make a major trade with the Cubs (I don't agree with it) but Baez looks like he's figured it out from what I've seen this year and he'd definitely be a guy I wouldn't mind having on the Sox.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 11:01 PM)
The idea of doing that PLUS a deal involving Q is instantly a giant step ahead for an organization.

Exactly. Plus you can get a few more prospects by dealing Frazier, Melky, Lawrie, Robertson, & Duke between now and next offseason. The system instantly goes from bottom five to one of the best in the game. And you'd still have some interesting major league pieces in Eaton, Abreu, Anderson, Rodon, Fulmer, & Jones. With all the financial savings, you could aggressively pursue any international free agents that are relatively young and don't count against bonus pools. It would no doubt be an ugly couple of years, but if executed correctly, you could have most of your pieces in place for the epic 2018-2019 free agent class and quickly become legit contenders. That's so much more attractive of a plan than attempting more retooling.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 12:01 AM)

If we do that we won't get any premium prospects. That's not really selling. That's reshuffling the supporting cast & ending up a different shade of mediocre.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 09:21 PM)
It sucks that the best thing we can do for the organization is trade the best pitcher in our history at age 27 because we can't make anything else work.

We passed that s*** a long time ago.