White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
The Red Sox paid Moncada a $31.5 million bonus, and paid the league a $31.5 million penalty. They are invested $63 million. The Sox would pay him minimal amounts. It's Boston that doesn't want that $63 million investment to go away.

Agree that's what makes him complicated but he's blocked by Pedroia and Bogaerts. Maybe they play him at third I don't know who their 3B is. I'm just really hoping this all gets done. It's best for the White Sox. But if they can't that's fine too.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
The Red Sox paid Moncada a $31.5 million bonus, and paid the league a $31.5 million penalty. They are invested $63 million. The Sox would pay him minimal amounts. It's Boston that doesn't want that $63 million investment to go away.

The penalty is their own fault...I can understand the $31.5 million being part of the equation...the $63 million...not my problem.

I agree that Moncada should be coming back in a Sale deal, but the Red Sox do have an interesting argument for not including him. Sale has 3 years left on his deal at bargain prices. Say you trade Moncada ++ for him, Moncada being someone you've already paid a $63 million bonus to and gotten no production from (please correct me if I am wrong).

The Red Sox could be arguing that they would essentially be using that Moncada money for Sale, which ultimately would add $21 million per year into the 3 years Sale has left. That puts Sale's salary + sunk Moncada cost at over $30 million per year, which hurts a ton of Sale's surplus value, which hurts his trade value.

I guess I can see why they might not budge on Moncada, which is really too bad because Sale commands your #1 prospect and more.

To be clear, I agree with iamshack in the post above. Their stupid penalty and bonus is none of our concern. He is your top prospect and he is coming to Chicago if you want Sale. Just playing a little devils advocate.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
Apologies if this has been posted, but this guy is legit

Scot Gregor

‏@scotgregor

Would be stunned if both Sale and Quintana are still on #WhiteSox roster later today

Ya just posted it but just got buried lol

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)

If this is really the case, it's incredibly poor business logic by Boston. The money was gone the moment they acquired him; it's a sunk cost. If him and Benintendi turn into similarly productive players, it doesn't make Moncada more valuable because they spent more on him.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)

Gotta say I understand! However, they are saving so much of that on Sale's below market deal for 3 years. BUT...like you said...it's a wash, but part of that savings is what makes Sale so valuable...without it, they might as well trade for someone with a typical contract.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
I agree that Moncada should be coming back in a Sale deal, but the Red Sox do have an interesting argument for not including him. Sale has 3 years left on his deal at bargain prices. Say you trade Moncada ++ for him, Moncada being someone you've already paid a $63 million bonus to and gotten no production from (please correct me if I am wrong).

The Red Sox could be arguing that they would essentially be using that Moncada money for Sale, which ultimately would add $21 million per year into the 3 years Sale has left. That puts Sale's salary + sunk Moncada cost at over $30 million per year, which hurts a ton of Sale's surplus value, which hurts his trade value.

I guess I can see why they might not budge on Moncada, which is really too bad because Sale commands your #1 prospect and more.

To be clear, I agree with iamshack in the post above. Their stupid penalty and bonus is none of our concern. He is your top prospect and he is coming to Chicago if you want Sale. Just playing a little devils advocate.

This is the sunk cost argument in reverse. If they had to eat money to get rid of Sandoval, would they? Yes they would. This is no different.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
The penalty is their own fault...I can understand the $31.5 million being part of the equation...the $63 million...not my problem.

It's not your problem. It still is a reason Boston isn't going to trade him unless maybe you gave the Sale and Q.

If you add the $63 million to the cost of the deal, it makes Sale not a bargain, but a properly paid $30 million a year guy. If his contract was $30 million a year, the package isn't as good as it is when he's a $15 million a year guy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
It's not your problem. It still is a reason Boston isn't going to trade him unless maybe you gave the Sale and Q.

If you add the $63 million to the cost of the deal, it makes Sale not a bargain, but a properly paid $30 million a year guy. If his contract was $30 million a year, the package isn't as good as it is when he's a $15 million a year guy.

Exactly. I didn't know about that so that's gona be tricky in and of itself. That's a big reason he probably won't be moved because they have so much invested. It's not our problem but it's Boston's and is a sticking point likely.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)

Yeah, I follow you...but that isn't how negotiations work...we look at the market value of an asset, not the investment one counterparty may have made in that asset already.

If you are going to dock me that $63 million for Moncada, that decreases his value to me incredibly...because you're essentially paying a prospect $63 million. The entire point of trading Chris is to acquire prospects who make extremely little for the first 6 years of service time. This guy essentially is making $10.5 million for the first 6 years of his service time.

Maybe we can just trade them straight-up for Abreu?