White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
We're standing pat guys. Get ready for the the recycled Rick Hahn message.

Embarrassing. This organization is an absolute headache and I agree with the poster who said while I'll always be a Sox fan, it'll be time to step away from the team for awhile. No more games this year.

Even if you're going to make excuses for Quintana and Sale, what about everyone else? I cannot believe only Zach Duke and his 4th OF return was the best option out there.

Yeah yeah there are 2.5 hours left, but I'm sure we'll be left disappointed yet again. Then again come winter when Sale and Q still remain. Then 2017 when we're again mediocre.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
From reading around it seems like a great majority of Red Sox fans don't want a deal for Sale to get done.

It's because deep down they know it will cost Moncada, Benintendi, Devers, & either Vazquez or Swihart.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
Really surprised there is 0 quintana chatter and has been. Kind've reaffirms that others don't see his market as the same.

I think it was Heyman this morning on the radio saying that the Sox were more motivated to move Sale because his return appears to be double of Quintana's. People dont think of Q as a number 1 so that dont want to give what he is worth. Q is totally an ace in my opinion.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
Embarrassing. This organization is an absolute headache and I agree with the poster who said while I'll always be a Sox fan, it'll be time to step away from the team for awhile. No more games this year.

Even if you're going to make excuses for Quintana and Sale, what about everyone else? I cannot believe only Zach Duke and his 4th OF return was the best option out there.

Yeah yeah there are 2.5 hours left, but I'm sure we'll be left disappointed yet again. Then again come winter when Sale and Q still remain. Then 2017 when we're again mediocre.

We joked about it earlier, and it's so true. Whenever it's the sox turn to sell, all of the things we say make them attractive are the things that we hear back as why they can't get a return.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
From reading around it seems like a great majority of Red Sox fans don't want a deal for Sale to get done.

Wait until they don't make / get bounced from the playoffs. They'll be complaining then that it didn't get done.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
I think it was Heyman this morning on the radio saying that the Sox were more motivated to move Sale because his return appears to be double of Quintana's. People dont think of Q as a number 1 so that dont want to give what he is worth. Q is totally an ace in my opinion.

Sale is a power pitcher, and some argue that those guys dominate more in the postseason (I don't know if that's completely true).

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
Anyone think that Texas has been too quiet today?

I think if anything were to happen it'd be Rangers or Dodgers. Too much posturing with Boston in the media. Always some unexpected team that comes through with these trades. The other day when Profar was playing in the OF I thought it may as well have been a dosplay for the White Sox. If he's traded here he'll be out there when Lawrie returns.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 33s34 seconds ago Jersey City, NJ

red sox, dodgers, rangers have been 3 main teams in on sale/quintana. no sense at moment anything's close w/them

They all are aware of the cost. A deal could get done as fast as they can say yes. Kudos to the White Sox for not budging.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
We joked about it earlier, and it's so true. Whenever it's the sox turn to sell, all of the things we say make them attractive are the things that we hear back as why they can't get a return.

So true...Depressing indeed! It's sorta a catch 22 when you have a potential deal with a player like Sale--all your time and attention is spent making sure (if you make a trade), you at least get that one right. There's only so much time in a day--if you're Rick Hahn and 3 phones are ringing, Melky's phone, Shields's phone and Sale's phone, which are you answering!?!? That's why most of us here were starting to get frustrated to not see more deals get done earlier because (I'm assuming) they are boxing off their time with Sale talks. Now the best we can hope for is a waiver deal to drop on some of the others. Is it still possible that all the balls drop into place in an hour or so? I suppose, but a lot would have to happen. Here's hoping...

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
Wait until they don't make / get bounced from the playoffs. They'll be complaining then that it didn't get done.

This exactly, it would definitely make them realize what a mistake it was not paying up

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
:cheers

No one should be mad at the Sox if Quintana and Sale aren't moved.

Instead we should all take solace in the fact that this management group has a track record of selling in the offseason and has never let us down before.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
Phil Rogers on MLBN talking Sale and Sox right now. He says we won't budge from our price and we'll wait until the deadline to see if someone takes it.

Good.

I'd rather keep a top 5 asset in all of baseball than undersell him to Boston or LA. It's not like we can't trade him in the offseason or never.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
Really surprised there is 0 quintana chatter and has been. Kind've reaffirms that others don't see his market as the same.

Nah, this is just like any game. It's hard to key in on Quintana when someone like Sale may be available.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
They all are aware of the cost. A deal could get done as fast as they can say yes. Kudos to the White Sox for not budging.

Absofrickinglutely.

It's been horrible so many years when it was the Sox who always added-on to any deal, did all of the sweetening, to get the guy they just had to have (a/k/a "Kenny's guy"), no matter what.

If it takes being hardcore to change that perception, you do it. That's also a form of "laying the groundwork."

I think there's little doubt some of the power teams are applying the pressure because they know Hahn, KW, and company have an under-performing team with little help available on the farm. They see low-hanging fruit and they're looking to swipe it.

Too bad. Given their talent/surplus (value) mix, Sale and Q are both insanely valuable trade chips. In Sale's case, we're talking perhaps a once in a generation trade chip. You don't give that away just because we're poor (baseball asset wise) and our trading partners are rich. Nobody wants to be the 40s - 60s teams that essentially functioned as the Yankees minor leagues.

You want Sale? You want Q? Fine, we'll trade, but we expect to be wow'd. We don't have to give them up.

(PS -- While we don't have to give them up now, I'd love to give them up if they get the RIGHT deal, because sooner or later -- perhaps off-season 17/18 -- we really will have to give them up for what we can get.)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)

Agreed. But it's almost to that point where it's now or in the offseason.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
:cheers

No one should be mad at the Sox if Quintana and Sale aren't moved.

I get this...I really do. Don't move them unless it makes sense, but one would think their value would be higher to a team in the mix right now because they get him for this year's stretch run and he's pitching at a Cy Young Award level. But I also understand the best deal for Sale might not be available TODAY. I just hope they get a max return on for him--if/when they do trade him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)

It's sad how predictable their failures are. Just like we're hear in December that the market is oversaturated with SP on the block, which decreases our pitchers value, and "why would someone give up all of that for Sale when they can pay half for Archer?"

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)
It's sad how predictable their failures are. Just like we're hear in December that the market is oversaturated with SP on the block, which decreases our pitchers value, and "why would someone give up all of that for Sale when they can pay half for Archer?"

So true.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
Absofrickinglutely.

It's been horrible so many years when it was the Sox who always added-on to any deal, did all of the sweetening, to get the guy they just had to have (a/k/a "Kenny's guy"), no matter what.

If it takes being hardcore to change that perception, you do it. That's also a form of "laying the groundwork."

I think there's little doubt some of the power teams are applying the pressure because they know Hahn, KW, and company have an under-performing team with little help available on the farm. They see low-hanging fruit and they're looking to swipe it.

Too bad. Given their talent/surplus (value) mix, Sale and Q are both insanely valuable trade chips. In Sale's case, we're talking perhaps a once in a generation trade chip. You don't give that away just because we're poor (baseball asset wise) and our trading partners are rich. Nobody wants to be the 40s - 60s teams that essentially functioned as the Yankees minor leagues.

You want Sale? You want Q? Fine, we'll trade, but we expect to be wow'd. We don't have to give them up.

(PS -- While we don't have to give them up now, I'd love to give them up if they get the RIGHT deal, because sooner or later -- perhaps off-season 17/18 -- we really will have to give them up for what we can get.)

And if you cave on these guys, there isn't a player you won't cave on. They want them, they have to make a painful decision. I don't know why people would be upset they didn't move these guys when other teams didn't want to meet their price. A lesser package and they would be complaining about the prospects in a month or so.