Sox in pursuit of Puig

Jose Abreu

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 12:23 PM)
Go back and read what I wrote. He and Avi are very similar offensively at this point. Why is that inaccurate? Who cares what a guy did in 2013 in 2017? He's in AAA. He has to be a colossal bozo. Why would he suddenly thrive with the White Sox? And as I pointed out and you ignored, Avi is probably a non tender.

If Avi had Puig's defense, what would you say if the Sox gave him a 2 year $12 million extension, 2/3s of what is owed Puig?

Sorry, but comparing Puig to Avi is just wrong. Puig has had two elite offensive seasons plus put up a solid one as recently as 2015. Meanwhile, Avi has accomplished nothing at the major league level across multiple seasons (best is a wRC+ of 100) and is a horrible defender & base-running on top of it. Whether taking a chance on Puig's incredible upside would be a smart move is up for debate, but it's nothing like taking that same chance on Avi, who has proven he's a terrible baseball player.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
Sorry, but comparing Puig to Avi is just wrong. Puig has had two elite offensive seasons plus put up a solid one as recently as 2015. Meanwhile, Avi has accomplished nothing at the major league level across multiple seasons (best is a wRC+ of 100) and is a horrible defender & base-running on top of it. Whether taking a chance on Puig's incredible upside would be a smart move is up for debate, but it's nothing like taking that same chance on Avi, who has proven he's a terrible baseball player.

Again, I am not saying take another chance on Avi. I am saying Puig is a major clubhouse distraction and Avi with good defensive skills on the field right now. I wouldn't want to pay that type $18 million the next 2 years and give up something to get him. For some reason he has become worse each season. Not only that, but if you put him in RF, you move Eaton off of a spot where he may be the best in the business.

I understand the upside potential, but it is way more of a longshot than it appears IMO.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
In all seriousness, moving Eaton out of right field at the moment would be one of the dumbest things you could possibly do.

Depends, if your projected 2017 CF starter is JB Shuck.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
Again, I am not saying take another chance on Avi. I am saying Puig is a major clubhouse distraction and Avi with good defensive skills on the field right now. I wouldn't want to pay that type $18 million the next 2 years and give up something to get him. For some reason he has become worse each season. Not only that, but if you put him in RF, you move Eaton off of a spot where he may be the best in the business.

I understand the upside potential, but it is way more of a longshot than it appears IMO.

There must be some deeper information that is not shared in the media that only execs and scout know. There are organizations that could eat the contract with no problem. It could be the media led us to believe the Dodgers were willing to give him away.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
Go back and read what I wrote. He and Avi are very similar offensively at this point. Why is that inaccurate? Who cares what a guy did in 2013 in 2017? He's in AAA. He has to be a colossal bozo. Why would he suddenly thrive with the White Sox? And as I pointed out and you ignored, Avi is probably a non tender.

If Avi had Puig's defense, what would you say if the Sox gave him a 2 year $12 million extension, 2/3s of what is owed Puig?

You can't just ignore past production though, especially for a player who still has all the physical tools, etc. This is a guy who was a well above average player and quite frankly still is. Yes, there are other issues here, but comparing him to Avi just isn't worthwhile. What if I compared Omar Vizquel to other mediocre offensive shortstops and said, well, they are comparable offensive players (this is before his late career offensive burst). You would be ignoring the fact that he was one of the greatest defensive shortstops ever. Now I am not saying that Puig is the best defensive outfielder ever and he doesn't play the premium defensive position that SS is, but in some ways, Puig's defense compared with Avi's would be like comparing a bad defender to Omar Vizquel.

If Avi had a track record of Puig's (good and bad), I would not be writing him off. Avi has done absolutely nothing every single season in his big league career thus far. In fact, he's been worse then replacement level in every single season of his career.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
They still haven't said who won the claim?

ESPN reports the team that claimed him was only really interested in blocking him from getting to another team. That makes me think Twins, based on the public knowledge that the White Sox have/had interest.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
ESPN reports the team that claimed him was only really interested in blocking him from getting to another team. That makes me think Twins, based on the public knowledge that the White Sox have/had interest.

Why would they claim him to keep him from the White Sox in September?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)

No offense, but this literally makes no sense. Small-market teams that are 33 games below .500 aren't blocking teams, let alone blocking a team that's 4th place in the division. I have no idea how you could rationally come to this conclusion.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)
It does in the fact that this team got two days worth of negotiations in the books as a head start for the offseason. It could also be potential competition.

if the Dodgers are basically giving Puig away, that's one thing. But there's no reason on this green earth for the Sox to get in some bidding war for Puig. The Sox need a major makeover. That really doesn't include trading real talent on a crapshoot like Puig.

The last two years the most prominent players who were obviously made available by their teams were grabbed by Rick Hahn......and he ended up the sucker. And add Shields; another player the team was overtly trying to dump, to the HAhn ledger.

This winter, Puig will be front and center.

Stop doing the obvious and walking into traps, Rick. Put some creativity and finesse into your game. And most of all, face reality about this team.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 11:13 PM)
if the Dodgers are basically giving Puig away, that's one thing. But there's no reason on this green earth for the Sox to get in some bidding war for Puig. The Sox need a major makeover. That really doesn't include trading real talent on a crapshoot like Puig.

The last two years the most prominent players who were obviously made available by their teams were grabbed by Rick Hahn......and he ended up the sucker. And add Shields; another player the team was overtly trying to dump, to the HAhn ledger.

This winter, Puig will be front and center.

Stop doing the obvious and walking into traps, Rick. Put some creativity and finesse into your game. And most of all, face reality about this team.

I only like taking a flyer on Puig if we get Cespedes too.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 02:36 AM)
I only like taking a flyer on Puig if we get Cespedes too.

A Puig Cespedes Eaton outfield would be really good imo. Move Melky to DH

RF Eaton

SS Anderson

CF Cespedes

1B Abreu

DH Cabrera

3B Frazier

RF Puig

2B Lawrie

C ?

Tell me that's not a good lineup lol

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 07:32 AM)
A Puig Cespedes Eaton outfield would be really good imo. Move Melky to DH

RF Eaton

SS Anderson

CF Cespedes

1B Abreu

DH Cabrera

3B Frazier

RF Puig

2B Lawrie

C ?

Tell me that's not a good lineup lol

Who plays LF? You have Puig and Eaton in RF.