TV and Netflix Thread

hi8is

The Killing

Netflix original started in 2011. Just watched season 1 and it's very very compelling stuff. At some various brief points there's some poorly said lines but it's not too noticeable. Everytime I think the plot is clear, there's another twist. Good stuff... Highly recommend.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 06:46 AM)
The Killing was on AMC for three years before doing a season or so on Netflix. I despised that first season. Started good but ended awful with no reveal. I never went back

Yeah, S1 was a real kick in the nuts. Compelling, but in the end, they led us down 5 or 6 different paths that led to nothing and never mattered. I think I watched S2 just to find out what happened, but then I stopped and have no interest in ever going back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)
I checked out Comedy Bang Bang after Weird Al started on it. It was different, but it did grow on me once I got to know the personalities.

The TV show is not nearly as good as the podcast IMHO. There have been a handful of gems on the TV show but most of the story lines in between the guests are just awful.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 01:02 PM)
Yeah, S1 was a real kick in the nuts. Compelling, but in the end, they led us down 5 or 6 different paths that led to nothing and never mattered. I think I watched S2 just to find out what happened, but then I stopped and have no interest in ever going back.

Well that sucks to read - it seemed to have a lot of promise even with some plot holes and poorly acted scenes. Guess it gets worse and not better. Bastards.

If only every show was Breaking-Bad-Like.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 08:21 PM)
Well that sucks to read - it seemed to have a lot of promise even with some plot holes and poorly acted scenes. Guess it gets worse and not better. Bastards.

If only every show was Breaking-Bad-Like.

They reveal in S2 what happened in S1, and 90% of the scenes you saw in Season 1 become irrelevant. All the side stories and theories, all the characters, none of them had any connection or relation. It's so frustrating to not reward an audience with the ability to put things together or form ideas based on the info we were shown.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
Mr. Robot Rules All!

I always like to read the articles about the show the day after it airs to see if I someone else noticed something that I may have missed. Apparently I missed something pretty big last night. This is from the first article I read:

“Death almost certainly found Cisco, whose blood coats Dom’s face as she races out into the street to confront a Dark Army assassin.”

Somehow I completely missed that she had blood all over her. I saw all three of them go down but I couldn’t tell if it was from them ducking or because they had been shot. Apparently for Cicso, it was the later. I’m really hoping it was the former for Darlene.

One of the commenters on the article mentioned this:

There’s something about Dom that I just don’t like. Normally, I would be rooting for the intrepid detective/agent who is trying to do the right thing, unravel the threads, find the culprits, etc. etc. But her? Meh. Maybe it’s the actress, but the character’s personality is just so... flat.

I’ve though the same thing myself and could never tell if it was the actress or just the way she plays the character. Watching her last night on the aftershow I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s the actress. It’s just her personality.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
I’ve though the same thing myself and could never tell if it was the actress or just the way she plays the character. Watching her last night on the aftershow I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s the actress. It’s just her personality.

Here's a little factoid I learned recently. She is Meryl Streep's daughter.

QUOTE (Nixon @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 04:47 PM)
They've already confirmed there's another season coming.

Started watching The Last Kingdom, it's like that show Vikings on History Channel but with competent writers.

If you liked The Last Kingdom I'd definitely recommend the books, they are amazing. I just finished the 9th book and every single one is a great read (also all relatively quick reads, the pacing is really well-done). IMO no one writes battle scenes better than Cornwell.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
I always like to read the articles about the show the day after it airs to see if I someone else noticed something that I may have missed. Apparently I missed something pretty big last night. This is from the first article I read:

"Death almost certainly found Cisco, whose blood coats Dom's face as she races out into the street to confront a Dark Army assassin."

Somehow I completely missed that she had blood all over her. I saw all three of them go down but I couldn't tell if it was from them ducking or because they had been shot. Apparently for Cicso, it was the later. I'm really hoping it was the former for Darlene.

One of the commenters on the article mentioned this:

I've though the same thing myself and could never tell if it was the actress or just the way she plays the character. Watching her last night on the aftershow I've come to the conclusion that it's the actress. It's just her personality.

That is an interesting take. I can't wait to see how it plays out. There are a couple of great story lines coming together.

The thing I like about Mr. Robot is the pacing has changed so much, but it's still compelling.

Last year was more of a traditional action drama, this year it's a slow boil character study that constantly keeps you guessing.

Portia Doubleday has been an enigma for two seasons now. Then you have BD Wong, The Dark Army, Welleck's wife and the CEO of E-Corp jockeying to keep your attention. In the beginning, no idea where they were going with Craig Robinson. The episode that looked and felt like a 1970's sitcom with the laugh track was one of my favorites.

Still trying to figure out what the Chinese are going to do with the Congo...introducing Obama into the discussion this week like he was almost a character in the show was also kinda cool.

Another show I quickly got sucked into was Billions...while I hated his Homeland character, Damion Lewis' Bobby is must watch stuff, and Paul Giamatti is almost always good.

Waiting for resumption of Mozart in the Jungle as well.

Edited by caulfield12

Going back and finishing Mr Robot S1. I think I got to the last episode and stopped. This is going to sounds really strange to you older people or those married or in a relationship. But until I started to see the girl I am with now, I had a lot of trouble watching TV shows because I was pretty much constantly talking to multiple girls at once through multiple dating apps/snapchat/text. And when I wasn't talking to one, I was on those apps looking for another to talk to. It was kind of an addiction and it would take me 2 hours+ to watch a regular show because I was constantly pausing or rewinding. Now that I am dating one of them, I deleted all those apps and am on my phone way less. lol. It sounds really dumb, but I had to reply to them as soon as I got a message.

Annnnyway, I just rewatched Episode 9 and just have 10 left to watch.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)
This is going to sounds really strange to you older people or those married or in a relationship. But until I started to see the girl I am with now, I had a lot of trouble watching TV shows because I was pretty much constantly talking to multiple girls at once through multiple dating apps/snapchat/text. And when I wasn't talking to one, I was on those apps looking for another to talk to. It was kind of an addiction and it would take me 2 hours+ to watch a regular show because I was constantly pausing or rewinding. Now that I am dating one of them, I deleted all those apps and am on my phone way less. lol. It sounds really dumb, but I had to reply to them as soon as I got a message.

Not strange at all. Sounds like a watered down version of when I've been off on my escapades. Even thou I'm not dating and am single again - all that seeking crap is by the wayside. When I'm ready for another 'her' -- she'll show up.

Cheers and congrats. Water that plant.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 01:02 PM)

Holy cow were you right! What a nightmare S2 was. One of the worst I've ever seen. Your description was dead on!

Rewatched Stranger Things and I get that 'Should I Stay or Should I Go' was the major hit off the album but a Mick Jones led Clash song that I kinda hate (dope beat but Mick Jones can't sing and it's hockie), being featured prominently irks me. 'Straight to Hell' didn't quite resonate at the time but it made Combat Rock and would have fit the narritive perfectly. 'Go straight to hell, boys, go straight to hell, boys' coming from a distressed child stuck in some hell world works and maybe then people would know the driving force behind 'Paper Planes'. Go out on a limb, Stranger Things!

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 08:32 PM)
Rewatched Stranger Things and I get that 'Should I Stay or Should I Go' was the major hit off the album but a Mick Jones led Clash song that I kinda hate (dope beat but Mick Jones can't sing and it's hockie), being featured prominently irks me. 'Straight to Hell' didn't quite resonate at the time but it made Combat Rock and would have fit the narritive perfectly. 'Go straight to hell, boys, go straight to hell, boys' coming from a distressed child stuck in some hell world works and maybe then people would know the driving force behind 'Paper Planes'. Go out on a limb, Stranger Things!

ya I didn't like the use of that song either. Rest of the soundtrack was purty good tho.

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
With everything going on in the world right now, I'm pretty pumped for South Park starting up tomorrow.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)
Watching it now. First 5 minutes and its brilliant. :lol:

Love these new storyline seasons they're giving us, I like the old style as well but for a few seasons I don't mind these. Can't wait to see more of the Memberries (is that how it's spelled?) and

of course Kyle's dad being SkankHunt42