Omar Narvaez

WhiteSoxfan1986

Our brain trust has apparently decided that he's not an every day catcher. So even if it makes sense to play him every day the rest of the season Navarro and Avila will get all of the AB's.

Just like our brain trust has decided Avi Garcia is a 5 tool stud outfielder and will run him out there until the wheels fall off even if 1000+ PA's tell them otherwise.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Aug 14, 2016 -> 05:45 AM)
Our brain trust has apparently decided that he's not an every day catcher. So even if it makes sense to play him every day the rest of the season Navarro and Avila will get all of the AB's.

Just like our brain trust has decided Avi Garcia is a 5 tool stud outfielder and will run him out there until the wheels fall off even if 1000+ PA's tell them otherwise.

It's ridiculous to give Avila or Navarro one more at bat. Catch Omar every game and have somebody else be his backup. Avila and Navarro were disasters and they are not in the plans for next year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 05:06 PM)
Hahn said Narvaez "put himself on map for next several years of playing some sort of role on this club going forward. Has opened some eyes.'

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/768929512188813312

Woah, woah, let's not get ahead of ourselves. What if he winds up being a flash in the pan and totally tanks next year?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2016 -> 09:21 AM)
Yes, instead of praising his players, Ventura should totally tell the media, but what if he sucks???

I'm fine with Robin saying Narvaez has "put himself on the map." The "next several years" part was unnecessary.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Sep 3, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
I'm fine with Robin saying Narvaez has "put himself on the map." The "next several years" part was unnecessary.

Well when Hahn said it. And I'm guessing they didn't expect Narvaez to make the leap like this. Probably a flash of hot hitting but it's been a month now.

We can just be happy. A player succeeding.

Finally got to watch a Sox game today in which Narvaez was catching, and he seems to be solid defensively, at least much better than Navarro was, which I realize is easy to do. He stole a few pitches for Q today and seemed to have some idea for pitch framing.

Also, the dude is walking in like 18% of his PA so far, which is nuts.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 11:26 PM)
Finally got to watch a Sox game today in which Narvaez was catching, and he seems to be solid defensively, at least much better than Navarro was, which I realize is easy to do. He stole a few pitches for Q today and seemed to have some idea for pitch framing.

Also, the dude is walking in like 18% of his PA so far, which is nuts.

He's a very solid catcher. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure his BB% was high and K% was low in the minors. Would have no problem with him being the starter depending on what we do with the rest of the holes.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
At the very least, Narvaez has solidified the backup catcher role. It's not like there's any competition for the spot.

Well, there is still the actual wall/backstop that separates the field of play from seating areas...in year's past, at least some of the motley crew this organization has brought in to catch should have been let go in favor of that less traditional method.

It's nice to see Narvaez looking as competent as he does.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

OK I am a Sox fan and think I know the minors to some degree but until this weekend I thought he was the guy they picked up from the Astros earlier this year.

Why does anyone think he does not have a viable future? He seems to do things decently enough and does not have any glaring weaknesses and is only 24.

He has no pop but he walks some and doesn't strikeout all that often.

His MiLB stats are not much off of what he doing currently.....

He seems rather overlooked if you ask me.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
OK I am a Sox fan and think I know the minors to some degree but until this weekend I thought he was the guy they picked up from the Astros earlier this year.

Why does anyone think he does not have a viable future? He seems to do things decently enough and does not have any glaring weaknesses and is only 24.

He has no pop but he walks some and doesn't strikeout all that often.

His MiLB stats are not much off of what he doing currently.....

He seems rather overlooked if you ask me.

The bolded in a little debatable, but I agree with Omar has been a pleasant surprise. I hope he gets the majority of the starts the rest of the year, and I'd be perfectly fine with him as the backup next year.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
The bolded in a little debatable, but I agree with Omar has been a pleasant surprise. I hope he gets the majority of the starts the rest of the year, and I'd be perfectly fine with him as the backup next year.

yeah, at an .824 OPS, he is out producing any stop he has ever had in his minor league career, and his career average by over 130 OPS points. I don't think there is any chance that this is the real Narvaez.

His last 3 years in the Minors, he has been a pretty good hitter vs. RHP. He could be a temporary solution to half of a catching tandem, for next year.

For me, the most important qualification for a catcher is still defense. If he is a solid defensive catcher, I think he has a decent chance to be capable replacement for Avila.

I'd rather see the sox spend the money on a solid left handed hitting DH, or outfielder.