New Ballpark Name

shysocks

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we have a "guaranteed to be mired in mediocrity" company also become a secondary sponsor?

We're not THE ABSOLUTE worst...we're usually floating within 5-7 games over the .500 mark most seasons, etc. That's something to proudly trumpet to the heavens.

How about a tie-in with the t.v. show "Slackers"?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 07:26 PM)
As bad as this name is, and it is terrible, way too many people here are over reacting. It won't change what happens on the field. Just like if the new name was "Playboy Coliseum", it wouldn't change a thing.

Of course it doesn't change what happens on the field but it's pouring salt on the wounds for a completely dejected fanbase and it's embarrassing. It's as if everyone in charge is completely incompetent. How does this even get past the initial question of "How will this fit in with the image of the ball club?" Should have been an immediate pass and look to the next bidder.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
Guess Jerry couldn't get a deal done with Vagisil.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 08:17 PM)
hahahaaaaaa....WINNER!!!! And not even close....

We're really still doing this? Grow the f*** up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
I know you and the rest of the JR haters have this weird guilt factor any time this is said, but it is a fact. The rate of return is directly tied to how much and how loyal of a fan base a team has. Teams like the Cubs get bigger deals because no matter what has happened they have stuck around. Like it or not, but it is true.

One thing wrong with your comment I'm not a JR hater. I respect the fact that he's a self made millionaire and have said that repeatedly. He's also a brilliant businessman and real estate guy. That does not make him a baseball expert or a savant when it comes to the game.

We'll just have to disagree, Sox fans are smarter than that to support a garbage, s***ty franchise. They are under NO obligation, none, zero, nada to support crap just like any consumer is under no obligation to support a bad eatery, a lousy supermarket or a bad business. There is no difference especially when said team got their stadium out of tax dollars and didn't even pay for it themselves (unlike say the Giants owner who built that stadium out of his own pocket or the former Dolphins owner Joe Robbie)

Want to know a big reason why the Cubs were s*** for decades? It's because they sold out every game win or lose. The motivation for ownership to spend millions to put a winning team on the field was exactly none.

But again you are free to offer your opinions and I respect them. I respect the fact as well that you consistently stick to your guns.

Mark

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 09:11 PM)
Of course it doesn't change what happens on the field but it's pouring salt on the wounds for a completely dejected fanbase and it's embarrassing. It's as if everyone in charge is completely incompetent. How does this even get past the initial question of "How will this fit in with the image of the ball club?" Should have been an immediate pass and look to the next bidder.

You are assuming there were other bidders. I'd assume there was but you never know for sure.

Mark

And I understand the Bears and Cubs have already gotten into the act on this, much like the Royals earlier this season dissed the Sox on Twitter followed by the Padres after Shields started getting lit up:

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chicago...ium-name-082416

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

I've thought long and hard about this and have come to the conclusion that this is the worst stadium name ever. I seriously can't think of three words in the entire English language that sound as clunky as "Guaranteed Rate Park" when used together. I really hope there are plans for some serious ballpark upgrades, but it doesn't sound like the Sox get a lick of this money otherwise. Really not a good time to be a White Sox fan.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 11:31 PM)
I've thought long and hard about this and have come to the conclusion that this is the worst stadium name ever. I seriously can't think of three words in the entire English language that sound as clunky as "Guaranteed Rate Park" when used together. I really hope there are plans for some serious ballpark upgrades, but it doesn't sound like the Sox get a lick of this money otherwise. Really not a good time to be a White Sox fan.

^

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 09:31 PM)
One thing wrong with your comment I'm not a JR hater. I respect the fact that he's a self made millionaire and have said that repeatedly. He's also a brilliant businessman and real estate guy. That does not make him a baseball expert or a savant when it comes to the game.

We'll just have to disagree, Sox fans are smarter than that to support a garbage, s***ty franchise. They are under NO obligation, none, zero, nada to support crap just like any consumer is under no obligation to support a bad eatery, a lousy supermarket or a bad business. There is no difference especially when said team got their stadium out of tax dollars and didn't even pay for it themselves (unlike say the Giants owner who built that stadium out of his own pocket or the former Dolphins owner Joe Robbie)

Want to know a big reason why the Cubs were s*** for decades? It's because they sold out every game win or lose. The motivation for ownership to spend millions to put a winning team on the field was exactly none.

But again you are free to offer your opinions and I respect them. I respect the fact as well that you consistently stick to your guns.

Mark

It's somewhat analogous to that current GoFundMe trend of raising money for funerals/tributes/memorials.

The White Sox, at least their current iteration, are more like the recent case in California where a 21 year old girl deliberately ignored the safety/warning signs and climbed over a retaining wall (that was clearly meant to protect tourists and selfie takers from falling off the nearby cliff, or coming close enough to do so)...and then she was walking along in a rocky area with rubber flip flops instead of the proper hiking/climbing shoes. It's still a tragedy, she died when she fell off the cliff to the bottom 100 feet below, but I'm definitely not going to contribute $20, $50 or $100 to her family's gofundme campaign.

A lot of their struggles/financial limitations are SELF-INDUCED, to use a Hawkism.

There are plenty of wonderful causes, just like there are plenty of professional baseball teams who seem to have a plan going forward, even a strategic competitive vision...but the White Sox are definitely not one of them.

Just recently, the only team posters could name that MIGHT be worse than the Sox in terms of front office incompetence is the Arizona Diamondbacks. That's just not an easy sell since 2008, when families are much tighter about their discretionary/entertainment dollars.

When we start talking about "feeling sympathy" or saying things like Brooks Boyer should get a raise, that's all you need to know about the current malaise, and his comments attempting to tie in lower pitcher ERA's to guaranteed low rates are beyond ridiculous when you look at the struggles of James Shields and the Sox bullpen this year...or basically any of the starters not named Q or Sale.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 10:36 PM)
PC mod alert

Dissect the crux of the joke and get back to me with the humerous part. I'm more offended as a fan of comedy than anything else, it's cheap, tasteless and juvenile. Oh, and to hold me as some sort of totalitarian authority figure is beyond hilarious.

How much money Guaranteed Rate is doling out for the 13-year naming rights hasn’t been announced, but the company already has some big-ticket items on its expenses list. Earlier this year, a jury awarded another mortgage company more than $25 million in a lawsuit that alleged a former employee and Guaranteed Rate had engaged in “corporate espionage.’’ Guaranteed Rate’s portion will be $22.7 million.

How about Guaranteed Rate Hike Field?

“It doesn’t have that good of a ring to it,’’ Sox outfielder Adam Eaton said. “I don’t really know what to say about it. What is it called again?’’

Eaton and Sale are definitely leading the team this year in opening their mouths and saying something that will end up making the Sox look dumb....the spin going on is quite amazing, "well, I guess we can support this new name because the company was founded by Chicagoans or locals/natives, so that sort of makes it not terrible or at least okay/MEH"

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 08:34 PM)
I finally got used to calling it "the cell." Can we just call it Sox Park?

Yes we can.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 09:01 PM)
Maybe people will nickname it the Grate? As in "G. Rate?"

Really grasping at straws here. :(

Grate Field would be an OK nickname. I bet it'd bother Guaranteed Rate people, though. What a stupid lowrent company to buy naming rights.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
Wow, this is f***ing sad. Some 3rd tier mortgage company/broker/business. Couldn't get Walgreens, a big time bank, airline, Fortune 500 co?? They end up with some shady mortgage broker??

Amen. It's ridiculous.

This is just another opportunity for trolls to try to spin this in some negative way.

The fact is that naming rights have been around as long as inflated player salaries have been. Look around ANY major league ballpark and see signs for WINTRAUST, NUVEEN, Budweiser, XFinity,... plastered on everything in and around the ballpark. It's just part of the business.

Fans don't have to call Sox Park anything but Sox Park or Comiskey. I certainly won't.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 06:32 AM)
This is just another opportunity for trolls to try to spin this in some negative way.

The fact is that naming rights have been around as long as inflated player salaries have been. Look around ANY major league ballpark and see signs for WINTRAUST, NUVEEN, Budweiser, XFinity,... plastered on everything in and around the ballpark. It's just part of the business.

Fans don't have to call Sox Park anything but Sox Park or Comiskey. I certainly won't.

Trolls? Look at all the people on here who think this is a disgrace. What is Guaranteed Rate? Nobody's ever heard of the company. It should be spun in a negative way BTW, it's embarrassing.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 11:32 PM)

This is why this board is currently so polarized. The few remaining defenders of the Kingdom, and the barbarians at the gates.

Calling out 90% of those who are expressing displeasure with this as "trolls" is a bit much.

It could be worse, like Enron or Theranos or a company so disreputable, you wouldn't want a professional baseball team associated it.

Honestly, it's QUITE difficult to think of a worse name for the four major sports. Can YOU? Would the Yankees or Mets go with SCORES Stadium? That at least would have an association with baseball and scoring runs, which is still eminently better than G-Spot Stadium.

O.Co is close, but at least it's not a name that will be "used against" the A's in a negative way if they should continue to founder, not in the same way those down arrows (and the Brooks Boyer quote even, when the pitchers have an ERA of 5+ next April) and the idea of anything in the world being "guaranteed," it's just going to be used to make the White Sox a laughingstock yet again...which seems to be the theme now of this entire season after the peak of 23-10 on May 6th.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:32 AM)

My GF doesn't follow baseball. Doesn't follow the Sox or Cubs. Doesn't know anything about naming rights. She's the least knowledgeable person about sports I believe I've ever met

When I told her about the new name for the south side baseball "stadium", her response was..laughter

Then. "That is really ridiculous"

Is she a troll?

"Guaranteed Rate Field? Stay classy White Sox. Oh that's right. You're not."

Direct quote from someone who almost NEVER razzes me about the Sox and didn't even comment as we descended from first to fourth place this summer.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/white-sox-...-211443685.html

Barstool Dave has now made it big in the UK...

Edited by caulfield12