USA Today: White Sox Will Retain Robin Ventura, If He Wants to Return

shysocks

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
I don't know what better sign you can get that they are not trading sale than this step. The front office is ok with where things are right now at all levels. They will keep saying they're doing a great job and no one challenges that format. Robin is one of those yes men, so why wouldn't he be back?

^^^

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
I don't know what better sign you can get that they are not trading sale than this step. The front office is ok with where things are right now at all levels. They will keep saying they're doing a great job and no one challenges that format. Robin is one of those yes men, so why wouldn't he be back?

If thats true then they are going to trot out the same exact team next year only to finish woefully out of the race, again

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
Not even close.

WRONG. That honor would probably go to Buddy Bell who had a .418 winning percentage with 3 different teams. Maybe that is why he has a lofty position with the White Sox.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
If thats true then they are going to trot out the same exact team next year only to finish woefully out of the race, again

It will be different, just not DRASTICALLY different.

My guess is Avi, Lawrie, Jackson, Avila and some bench peeps, gone.

Part that kills me on this too: at the lower levels, the talent pipelines have really improved the last couple years. Hostetler's drafting and Paddy's re-opening of the LatAm spigot are starting to show some talent in the minors. And then there's the major league club, shooting themselves in the knee.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
I don't know about that first statement.

Honest question, and not to get off topic, what do you think Joe Maddon would have done different.

I am not in total agreement, but some agreement that he could or would have squeezed a few more wins out of this team.

I'd think Saladino would have had a lot more playing time on this team all over the field. I'd think that we'd have way less Avi Garcia anywhere. And that there'd be more shifting of Lawrie and Frazier around the diamond. Like for example Abreu at DH, Frazier at 1B, Saladino at 3B some nights. Or even Melky at DH, Saladino in the OF, etc.

Other than that, I'm not sure than morale how much he would have improved the team. Maybe instead of our record now we are like the Royals at just above .500.

Just my completely unjusitifed stab at a guess.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:49 PM)
WRONG. That honor would probably go to Buddy Bell who had a .418 winning percentage with 3 different teams. Maybe that is why he has a lofty position with the White Sox.

Off the top of my head, I found Connie Mack whose teams lost 610 games over a six season span... in a 154 game schedule.

The sox of the 90s really did well with the idea that liking the sox was a cool alternative thing to do. Now it's just - I feel like we are the Chicago Cardinals. A completely forgettable wasteland. We'd need to hire like Stone Cold Steve Austin to make us interesting.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
Outside of loyalty, I have no idea why a casual Chicago sports fan would raise their kid a Sox fan instead of a Cubs fan right now.

I'm trying but its going to get harder and harder. One team is run to perfection and the other is a clown show.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
Honest question, and not to get off topic, what do you think Joe Maddon would have done different.

I am not in total agreement, but some agreement that he could or would have squeezed a few more wins out of this team.

I'd think Saladino would have had a lot more playing time on this team all over the field. I'd think that we'd have way less Avi Garcia anywhere. And that there'd be more shifting of Lawrie and Frazier around the diamond. Like for example Abreu at DH, Frazier at 1B, Saladino at 3B some nights. Or even Melky at DH, Saladino in the OF, etc.

Other than that, I'm not sure than morale how much he would have improved the team. Maybe instead of our record now we are like the Royals at just above .500.

Just my completely unjusitifed stab at a guess.

The Sox certainly wouldn't be nearly as good as the Cubs, but I think the team would have a direction. A manager that isn't afraid to fail. Can manage outside of the box. Can show the strengths and deficiencies of the players and use or avoid them as such.

Joe Maddon hasn't won a damn thing yet, so I'm not ready to anoint him as the end-all, be-all, but either he or Bochy and maybe a couple of others could have a +4 WAR with this team. But who knows. Maybe they DID have the horses to win?

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
The Sox certainly wouldn't be nearly as good as the Cubs, but I think the team would have a direction. A manager that isn't afraid to fail. Can manage outside of the box. Can show the strengths and deficiencies of the players and use or avoid them as such.

Joe Maddon hasn't won a damn thing yet, so I'm not ready to anoint him as the end-all, be-all, but either he or Bochy and maybe a couple of others could have a +4 WAR with this team. But who knows. Maybe they DID have the horses to win?

If Maddon can mean that many wins, I wonder how the 2014 Rays lost 85 games, and his first 2 seasons they lost 198. Players win games. The team was short. Robin has been around, his contract is up, they haven't won, it does seem like a time to move on, but, at least they aren't blaming the manager for not winning. There are going to be some drastic changes to the roster.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
I don't think Maddon would have allowed for the s*** show with Sale, Eaton, LaRoche to occur

Didn't he get into it with one of his starters?

Sale cutting jerseys is on him, not anyone else. And according to RH at the season ticketholder event I was at, RV went ballistic on him, and RH said Sale will never do anything like that again. He said Robin's strength is also considered his weakness. He keeps the stuff in house. There can be a case for replacing him, but putting any blame on him for that incident is ridiculous.

And the other s*** show as you call it? Didn't they start out 23-10?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 08:07 PM)
If Maddon can mean that many wins, I wonder how the 2014 Rays lost 85 games, and his first 2 seasons they lost 198. Players win games. The team was short. Robin has been around, his contract is up, they haven't won, it does seem like a time to move on, but, at least they aren't blaming the manager for not winning. There are going to be some drastic changes to the roster.

On the field, I have read that even the best managers equate to 2-3 more wins. I think off the field is where Maddon is a genius, as he completely turned the culture of that team around.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 08:12 PM)
Didn't he get into it with one of his starters?

Sale cutting jerseys is on him, not anyone else. And according to RH at the season ticketholder event I was at, RV went ballistic on him, and RH said Sale will never do anything like that again. He said Robin's strength is also considered his weakness. He keeps the stuff in house. There can be a case for replacing him, but putting any blame on him for that incident is ridiculous.

And the other s*** show as you call it? Didn't they start out 23-10?

Hammel didn't like getting pulled early I believe, but it didn't escalate more than that.