USA Today: White Sox Will Retain Robin Ventura, If He Wants to Return

shysocks

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
My only hope is the Sox actually met, know they are parting ways, but agreed to let Robin be the one to own the terms of departure.

That seems possible. There's not an obvious "promotion" that RV could take within the organization.

I'm not in the "Fire Robin" camp because I don't think that he's the problem, but if you want to shake things up in hopes that the players respond better, this would be the perfect time to let RV walk. His contract is up at the end of the year and they already have a legit ML manager on their staff.

QUOTE (Baron @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)
Just wait...they'll sign him and then wont add any players. It would be the ultimate f*** you to the fanbase.

Of course they'll sign players - come on guys, we know how this works.

They will acquire one big name guy who was on the all star team last year so that people will say they won the offseason. They'll sprinkle in several Rick Hahn Specials and then declare loudly that 2017 will be there year. They'll get that payroll back up into the $130 million range, hell maybe more - depending on how fast revenue sharing is growing.

And no matter how much they say they're ready to win coming into ST, on paper they'll look like a 3rd or 4th place team hoping to get lucky with some of the RHS signings.

The more I read Nightengale's story, the more I think Ventura is NOT coming back. Focus on the two key phrases: he can "return if he wants" and "the White Sox refuse to blame Ventura for the losing records". I mean, what better way for Mr. Loyalty Program Owner to set the stage for a graceful exit of one his prized pups than this. Allowing Ventura to leave on his own terms without the shame of being fired, AND publicy declaring the team doesn't hold him accountable for the past five years of futility. Robin will sail off quietly into the sunset, and then that will be that.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 04:18 PM)
I am ok with it. If he wants to go I am ok with that too. Give hiom the players and see if they perform

I'm happy to provide you with a list of why you shouldn't be ok with it...

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 04:18 PM)
The more I read Nightengale's story, the more I think Ventura is NOT coming back. Focus on the two key phrases: he can "return if he wants" and "the White Sox refuse to blame Ventura for the losing records". I mean, what better way for Mr. Loyalty Program Owner to set the stage for a graceful exit of one his prized pups than this. Allowing Ventura to leave on his own terms without the shame of being fired, AND publicy declaring the team doesn't hold him accountable for the past five years of futility. Robin will sail off quietly into the sunset, and then that will be that.

That was my initial thought, but you never know what JR is actually up to.

I really really hope this is true, but I have no faith left in this org. seriously.

I think the rule with the White Sox is that they always think they have a great team and they tell themselves they all did a great job up and down the list. So, when they don't win, it's not because the GM did a bad job, it's because no one could have foreseen Putnam and Petricka getting hurt - Kenny literally said that last month, that was what demolished their season.

If you follow that logic, then no part of it is Robin's fault and they have a strategy that works, they're just one player away and they'll need to pay any price for that player this offseason. Again.

"The White Sox refuse to blame Ventura for the losing records" seems to fit that model to me and no one in the organization will question that - if anyone were to admit that what they were doing wasn't working, then there might be consequences for that kind of failure. As long as everyone agrees it was just bad luck and no one could have prepared for the team being that unlucky, then no one will have to worry about wins and losses being used to evaluate their performance and everyone keeps cashing their checks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
I think the rule with the White Sox is that they always think they have a great team and they tell themselves they all did a great job up and down the list. So, when they don't win, it's not because the GM did a bad job, it's because no one could have foreseen Putnam and Petricka getting hurt - Kenny literally said that last month, that was what demolished their season.

If you follow that logic, then no part of it is Robin's fault and they have a strategy that works, they're just one player away and they'll need to pay any price for that player this offseason. Again.

"The White Sox refuse to blame Ventura for the losing records" seems to fit that model to me and no one in the organization will question that - if anyone were to admit that what they were doing wasn't working, then there might be consequences for that kind of failure. As long as everyone agrees it was just bad luck and no one could have prepared for the team being that unlucky, then no one will have to worry about wins and losses being used to evaluate their performance and everyone keeps cashing their checks.

To be fair, the Sox were roughly .500 against the two other AL divisions and the NL this year, but were pretty bad against the Central. Given that the Royals are on their way down, the Tigers aren't that great anymore, and that the Indians have injury problems to their rotation that may or may not hurt them next season, the Sox could semi-credibly claim that their current team would win 82-85 games in a less competitive division next year. If they can sign a couple of impact players this winter, they might be more like an 87-89-win team next season, putting them close to the playoffs.

If that's their logic, I think it's a little on the optimistic side, but isn't way-far removed from reality. That said, if JR is really serious about competing next year, he's going to have to open up the wallet for a serious offensive upgrade in the OF, a couple more bullpen arms, and either a re-sign of Morneau or another good bat at DH. And on top of that, they're going to need the requisite minimal injuries that all teams need to reach the postseason.

That said, if they're still toiling in mediocrity next July, I really hope that they sell off some assets and rebuild with younger players. As you've mentioned before, they can't keep doing this over and over again.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
Unfortunately this would mean that williams and Hahn will be back (a new FO would not retain Ventura). More years of Williams and Hahn clownshows is the real problem.

It's been a issue for years not that JR cares.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)

They ought to take a look at where they're at and turn it on its head and not think about where they were unlucky, but rather lucky, They were lucky - clearly - in the 23-10 start to the season. Those 33 games represent approximately 20% of the season. In the other 80%, all of the games since then, the Sox have played at a worse winning % than that of the team that lost 99 games in 2013. If that doesn't put this season into perspective, I don't know what will. Is that just being unlucky in these past 120+ games, with the real team being the good one from the first 33? Or were the Sox lucky in the 33, and are actually the bad team we've seen for the past four months? You decide.

If they were somehow finishing the season on the high of going 23-10 in the final 33 games, maybe you could have optimism about the roster and its chances for next year. But that 23-10 record is from four months ago. It's old. The team hasn't played near that level ever since. And too many games have transpired since then to simply chalk the results up to bad luck. The Sox are faced with the same challenges as all of the other teams. Trying to wash away this season by blaming everything on a couple of injuries to some bullpen pitchers is not helpful. Taking a look in the mirror and admitting that the current strategy isn't working is what's needed badly at this point.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 05:16 PM)
This team is the biggest laughingstock in ALL of sports right now. We have now surpassed the Cleveland Browns.

The only sports team that could possibly surpass the Browns as a laughingstock in sports is the Jacksonville Jaguars.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 05:27 PM)
This all begs the question as to who the f*** is running this organization? This reads like a JR decision through and through. As bad as Hahn and KW have been, they don't have the same loyalty to Ventura as JR, and I cannot imagine it would be their decision to keep him.

My version is that JR has created a system where there is no accountability at any level and as a consequence everyone tried to keep things just as they are so that their jobs never are put under pressure. No one in the org is willing to challenge their current formula as fundamentally flawed because they would be the disloyal one if they did so. So everyone just insists they did a good job and there's no problem. If Hahn changes managers then someone did something wrong by hiring and extending him - can't admit that.

The one place where this started breaking out was having two players come out and say that this team didn't care about winning, in various ways.