Price rising for Sale and Q

bruni

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 11:26 PM)
Just curious, does anyone else besides me feel like the Sox could compete next season just by unloading Quintana and Robertson for some young major league talent?

Let's say...Quintana to Red Sox for Benintendi, Shaw, Groome, Kopech.

And also....Roberston to Giants for Joe Panik

Sox go out and sign Rich Hill and Lucroy

Rotation is....

Sale

Hill

Rodon

Gonzalez

Shields/Fulmer

Lineup is....

SS Anderson

RF Eaton

DH Abreu

C Lucroy

3B Frazier

LF Melky

CF Benintendi

1B Shaw

2B Panik

Saladino and Lawrie are your backup IF. Or maybe you even give the Giants one of those two along with Robertson until Christian Arroyo is ready to come up for them. Narvaez is your backup catcher. Nate Jones becomes your closer, and you obviously sign a couple MR in there to replace deadweights like Albers.

I think that team is certainly better in 2017, even though you lost Quintana and Robertson.

Lucroy is not a FA. His option is about as no brainer as they get.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 13, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
Not for that offer above you wouldn't. Moncada AND Benintendi AND Kopech AND more?

I definitely want Devers too if we're giving up Nate.

Nate is an extremely valuable trade chip in his own right. Just look at what the Phillies got for Ken Giles. Giles is a little cheaper, but Nate is locked up for the next five years on a great deal. He's no throw in.

Moncada, Benintendi, Kopech, Devers and Rodridguez for Sale and Jones, sure. But I'd want those last two. Not saying I wouldn't come off that request if it was the difference between getting the deal done and not. IMO, I want those five for Sale alone and that'd be my starting point. When they balk, I include Melky. If that doesn't excite them, only then do I offer Nate.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 13, 2016 -> 01:08 PM)
Guys. I'm just afraid these threads are setting us all up for disappointment.

Probably, but oh well. It makes too much sense. One of the best pitchers in baseball paid 1/3 of what he'd get on open market for THREE years. Sellers market. FA pool sucks. Teams with most to offer all get knocked out the playoffs early.

The Sox have the power here to start a hell of a bidding war.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 13, 2016 -> 07:03 PM)
Absolutely does. This deal makes a ton of sense.

Boston definitely needs another arm or two in the bullpen. But there top bullpen need is a lefty since they only have one

I love some of the ideas in this thread. I really hope they explore and pounce on any good trade options. The team desperately needs a reshape and while it won't happen with the front office, it can happen with the players.

I'd give away everyone that nets back a return to set us up in about 2-3 yearsish.

Hahn spoke briefly about the playoff pitching struggles of certain teams possibly elevating interest in Chris Sale and/or Jose Quintana...

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/786610886840418304

Hahn: "People tend to perhaps overreact to small samples in October. But I'm guessing, based on how things have gone so far ...

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/786611045506781184

More Hahn: "... we expected a lot of calls heading into the offseason, and this probably only reinforces that idea."

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/786611093485461504

Please give the go ahead on the rebuild Jerry. Let's get this started and do this the right way. We have two SPs that could reshape the franchise for years to come. I really think this rebuild starts and Renteria is good for it due to his experience with CHC and their rebuild. I believe in Hahn and his trades. He's done fairly well in identifying talent in trades.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 13, 2016 -> 09:03 PM)
They have 3 (Ross, Abad, and Scott), but I'd happily give them Dan Jennings if they're willing to overpay for him.

Only name being floated in media so far is Boone Logan as a lefty option.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 13, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
I definitely want Devers too if we're giving up Nate.

Nate is an extremely valuable trade chip in his own right. Just look at what the Phillies got for Ken Giles. Giles is a little cheaper, but Nate is locked up for the next five years on a great deal. He's no throw in.

Moncada, Benintendi, Kopech, Devers and Rodridguez for Sale and Jones, sure. But I'd want those last two. Not saying I wouldn't come off that request if it was the difference between getting the deal done and not. IMO, I want those five for Sale alone and that'd be my starting point. When they balk, I include Melky. If that doesn't excite them, only then do I offer Nate.

Agreed. I'd hate to lose Nate Jones. But if he can sweeten the pot significantly, I'll miss him less.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 13, 2016 -> 11:46 PM)
Please give the go ahead on the rebuild Jerry. Let's get this started and do this the right way. We have two SPs that could reshape the franchise for years to come. I really think this rebuild starts and Renteria is good for it due to his experience with CHC and their rebuild. I believe in Hahn and his trades. He's done fairly well in identifying talent in trades.

Problem is that KW would be involved with a rebuild.