White Sox listening on Frazier

southsider2k5

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
What do you guys think is a realistic return for Frazier? I would think at least one good prospect since a team trading for him can recoup a pick with a QO (assuming it doesn't change much in the next CBA).

So likely 2 good prospects?

It depends on how tight the market actually is. Justin Turner is available as a free agent and was substantially better than Frazier this year. Luis Valbuena put up better numbers than Frazier and is available, but he only played 90 games.

The thing I can't answer right now is - how many teams don't need these guys? Houston has Bregman who will take over 3b, they don't need one. Boston may or may not want a 3b. A lot of the other competitive teams have guys they're probably pretty happy with at 3b.

I only count a handful of teams that Frazier would be a clear upgrade for, some of those are like Minnesota - not going to bring in someone to replace Sano or other young guy - and they're off the list too.

If someone like SF or Boston steps in to go after Turner and takes him off the market, that could create more demand, but right now this position doesn't seem like the sellers market that you see at other positions from a quick look at the leaguewide stats.

Now that I look at this, Frazier might actually not be in that much demand at all. That's troublesome.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
It depends on how tight the market actually is. Justin Turner is available as a free agent and was substantially better than Frazier this year. Luis Valbuena put up better numbers than Frazier and is available, but he only played 90 games.

The thing I can't answer right now is - how many teams don't need these guys? Houston has Bregman who will take over 3b, they don't need one. Boston may or may not want a 3b. A lot of the other competitive teams have guys they're probably pretty happy with at 3b.

I only count a handful of teams that Frazier would be a clear upgrade for, some of those are like Minnesota - not going to bring in someone to replace Sano or other young guy - and they're off the list too.

If someone like SF or Boston steps in to go after Turner and takes him off the market, that could create more demand, but right now this position doesn't seem like the sellers market that you see at other positions from a quick look at the leaguewide stats.

Now that I look at this, Frazier might actually not be in that much demand at all. That's troublesome.

I was thinking possibly Mets. They have Wright at third but there is no way you can count on him. Frazier can also be a 1B option for them though (or they can shift Wright to first).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)

Probably too lateral, but maybe Braves make push in their new stadium. Just signed Dickey.

I kind of think he's the type of guy that might get a better pull at the trade deadline (presuming he has a bit better of a year this year as he should be more adjusted to the league). That said, obviously safer to move now (when the risk of injury or falling of a cliff isn't viable).

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
Frazier just isn't very good. His power numbers are great, but his performance relative to his power numbers is poor.

He's averaged 3.8 fWAR per 162 games played for his career. Even in a down year like last year he managed 2.4 fWAR, which is above average. He also had a unsustainable .236 BABIP last year that hurt him. Guys that can play solid defense at 3rd and hit 40 home runs don't grow on trees. Frazier definitely has value.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
He's averaged 3.8 fWAR per 162 games played for his career. Even in a down year like last year he managed 2.4 fWAR, which is above average. He also had a unsustainable .236 BABIP last year that hurt him. Guys that can play solid defense at 3rd and hit 40 home runs don't grow on trees. Frazier definitely has value.

This.

I think he has more value not versus during the season since the acquiring team could recoup a pick.

QUOTE (Username @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
You guys are being pretty pessimistic, Jay Bruce is a much worse player and fetched a good prospect. Frazier is likely to get a QO even if he plays around the same level. That alone is worth a solid prospect.

Seriously. You guys are acting like he is a bum. I know he didn't have a 4 win season, but he's still incredibly valuable to a team in need. If they didn't get a good offer for him, then just offer him the QO and get the pick. No brainer.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
Seriously. You guys are acting like he is a bum. I know he didn't have a 4 win season, but he's still incredibly valuable to a team in need. If they didn't get a good offer for him, then just offer him the QO and get the pick. No brainer.

I think it seems more pessimistic just because with other players we are talkinga bout top 50 prospects. He can get something useful back but it is nowhere near the same scope.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
I still think an extension is most likely.

In the long term, I don't think that's the worst idea. He just turned 30, is well-liked in the clubhouse and can be a veteran presence for the younger kids in rebuild, still provides pop in the middle of the order, and still plays a premium position well. Im fine getting rid of guys like Melky and Robertson, but Frazier isn't one I'm eager to ditch unless a good offer comes along.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
If the team moves Frazier who plays third base? Matt Davidson? You trade a player who just hit 40 home runs for a prospect?

If you're rebuilding, you go out and sign someone like Valbuena or Hill to play 3b in the case that a Sale or other player trade does not bring back a valid 3b option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
If you're rebuilding, you go out and sign someone like Valbuena or Hill to play 3b in the case that a Sale or other player trade does not bring back a valid 3b option.

Or you play Lawrie or Saladino there. Tyler needs to be in the lineup everyday if the Sox aren't going for it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 04:02 PM)
It has been mentioned a couple of times before, but Frazier doesn't really want to leave from the sounds of it either. He wanted to extend in Cincy even with their rebuild.

He also would likely be very happy to get an extension signed before he is going into his age-32 season, for financial reasons.