Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 12:56 PM)
See that's the funny part. Two months ago, this front office should have been fired, and never allowed to work again. People were hoping the owner of this team would die, so that someone else could own the team. The same people who are posting gigantic lists of failed players now somehow believe that this same front office can't be questioned unless you have your own fully detailed plan in place to counter it with. The same people that brought us Rollins, Jackson, Latos et al are still the same people in charge. But now I have people telling me that I should not be allowed to question them, otherwise I might hurt somebody's feelings because they won't believe in the rebuild anymore.

Literally nothing at the top has changed, but now they can't be questioned, even when fans have unrealistic expectations. Seriously I feel like I have walked into a Scientology convention.

We scrutinize the front office all the time for their decision making. All signs pointed towards Hahn wanting to start the rebuild even sooner than we did.

Sox fans are happy the team has finally chosen a direction, instead of trying to catch lightning in a bottle season after season.

With a depleted minor league system, there was not much optimism for contending the next few seasons. Now our future appears to be on the right track, although it will take a ton more scouting, drafting, trades, free agency signings, player development, etc to get where we need to be

See that's the funny part. Two months ago, this front office should have been fired, and never allowed to work again. People were hoping the owner of this team would die, so that someone else could own the team. The same people who are posting gigantic lists of failed players now somehow believe that this same front office that brought us all of those players can't be questioned unless you have your own fully detailed plan in place to counter it with. The same people that brought us Rollins, Jackson, Latos et al are still the same people in charge. But now I have people telling me that I should not be allowed to question them, otherwise I might hurt somebody's feelings because they won't believe in the rebuild anymore.

Literally nothing at the top has changed, but now they can't be questioned, even when fans have unrealistic expectations. Seriously I feel like I have walked into a Scientology convention.

50% of this is the Hahn is finally being given free reign to steer the ship...if you believe he and KW were at cross purposes.

Personally, not even the worst GM in baseball can consistently mess up with these three huge assets in play.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
But, even there, their budget was stretched by EE and a series of pitching injuries...two starters and Miller, for example...would have the Sox right there in 2018 and definitely 19 if the plan is executed. We already saw it with KC hitting $148 million, despite their two year trend coming into last year. That CLE market, with the second worst media rights deal, seriously hampers them. And most hitters this past decade like EE just lose it fast in their mid 30's.

2017 is the only guaranteed terrible year.

Perhaps, but I'd side with being realistic that 2017 and likely 2018 are lost seasons.

A 2017 rotation (assuming Q is dealt) of:

1) Rodon

2) Gonzalez

3) Shields

4) Holland

5) Covey/who knows?

We may or may not get contributions from Giolito/Lopez/Burdi/Fulmer/Etc. in 2017. 2018 is still a question mark as we have loads of holes to fill (catcher, DH, OF spots, 2B, 3B, bullpen?)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
See that's the funny part. Two months ago, this front office should have been fired, and never allowed to work again. People were hoping the owner of this team would die, so that someone else could own the team. The same people who are posting gigantic lists of failed players now somehow believe that this same front office that brought us all of those players can't be questioned unless you have your own fully detailed plan in place to counter it with. The same people that brought us Rollins, Jackson, Latos et al are still the same people in charge. But now I have people telling me that I should not be allowed to question them, otherwise I might hurt somebody's feelings because they won't believe in the rebuild anymore.

You aren't questioning much at all. You're serving as a black cloud. All you've really done is point out that we're going to be absolutely horrible over the next few years and that will suck.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 09:27 AM)
Eh. I have no interest in wasting major league money on an intentionally bad product, nor do I feel like getting excited about knowing this is going to be the worst time to be a Sox fan in decades. Hoping what might happen in five years isn't really a reason to be excited today for me. It is the route we have chosen and all, but it is so depressing. It isn't like you can sim this time period to see if it works like OOTP. You have to live through the misery. Bleh.

I disagree. I think this is the best time to be a fan since about 2008. There's a realistic plan in place in which they are finally emphasizing the fact that scouting and developing talent is the most important thing. It's about damn time.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
I disagree. I think this is the best time to be a fan since about 2008. There's a realistic plan in place in which they are finally emphasizing the fact that scouting and developing talent is the most important thing. It's about damn time.

I'll be looking forward to the young talent growing. I agree with you.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
First off, rebuilding was without question the right strategy for us. We were stuck in the middle with no money and a bottom five farm system. The choice to blow it up was a no brainer.

Second, I am super excited to follow some of these young players. By June we could have a rotation that includes Rodon, Giolito, Lopez, & Fulmer. That's four young guys with TOR stuff. For diehard Sox fans, that already makes 80% games at least somewhat interesting. Plus we'll have an electric young arm in the bullpen in Burdi.

By June we should also see the most exciting positional prospect the White Sox have had since Frank Thomas called up. I can't understate how excited I am to watch Moncada develop into the superstar he has a legit chance at becoming. I also can't wait to follow Anderson in his second season and see if he can become one of the top young SS in the game. And hopefully there are some other exciting positional prospects on the way between Quintana and/or other potential deals.

Hell, I'm even excited to see if any of our C type prospects develop into anything. One or two of Tilson, Liriano, Engel, & May will get some serous playing time in the OF this year. Davidson could get a shot at DH or 3B. Right now Navarez looks to be in the mix at C. There are also a few interesting guys at Charlotte who might eventually get a chance in Delmonico & Peter. I'm not optimistic any of these guys will turn into solid major league players, but rebuilding gives us an opportunity to play these type of prospects and see if any stick.

And finally I'm excited to cheer on our remaining trade assets in preparation for what should be an exciting 2017 deadline for us. Assuming Q is dealt in the next month, we could still have guys like Abreu, Frazier, Cabrera, Robertson, Jones, Jennings, Petricka, Putnam, Gonzalez, Holland, etc. that could bring back varying degrees of value. There should be a second influx of prospects come July of 2017.

So ultimately while 2017 is going to suck from a wins & losses perspective, there's a lot of things to be excited for if you're willing to consider other angles. And guess what, if the losing is too much for anyone, they can simply change the channel and not feel guilty. There is no expectation to win next year which means following the White Sox can finally be on our own terms. After putting in hundreds of hours into this team over the last few years and receiving nothing in return but regret & unfulfillment, that's a huge plus for me.

Completely Agree with this take. I like following prospects though and potential international signings and stuff like that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
More than I will enjoy the next few years for sure.

This statement is absolutely nuts to me, man. Really? You'd rather watch these patched together rosters of hope and prayer then legit stud prospects coming up at every turn? wow. Alright.

I would have to disagree. While yes, the people in place have not changed, their actions have. DFA'ing Danks, Latos, Rollins in 2016 after they we're very ineffective, drafting REAL baseball players recently and not just toolsy project "athletes", reemphasizing the importance of depth and a minor league system to pull from. The philosophy is a complete 180 from previous seasons. 2016, with all of it's terribleness, has IMO, been a big step forward for the White Sox FO since they FINALLY seem to be holding people/themselves accountable. We aren't going to know if this works or doesn't for a few years, and it may not work, but it's insanely refreshing to see that they have and are trying to execute a plan, that in recent years, when done properly, can yield fantastic results in a shorter term than the traditional tear down used to take. To say that you can't see one single thing different about the top management is asinine.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

Pure entertainment:

Would you trade (you personally) Quintana to Angels for the rights to Mike Trout for his 2019 and 2020 seasons?

That's it! Four years of Q for two years of Mike Trout. Trout and Quintana would be on same team for two seasons.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
My point was the same point I have made before, but apparently you missed. 2018 is not going to be a year spent in competition. Anyone who is expecting that, is not being very realistic.

No it probably won't be. But many of these young building blocks will be on the team and many more will be joining the team with potential looking upward for 2019. 2018 won't be a playoff year but it will be fun to watch.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 01:30 PM)
Pure entertainment:

Would you trade (you personally) Quintana to Angels for the rights to Mike Trout for his 2019 and 2020 seasons?

That's it! Four years of Q for two years of Mike Trout.

As entertaining as it would be, no.

This team still has a ton of holes to fill, and we need several top prospects under long term control in exchange for him

Anyone think it's possible the hold up could be due to the amount of moving pieces in a three way? I'm starting to wonder if the talks are about more than just Q leaving the Sox. Might be something like the Pirates want Q and the Yanks are looking at Rodon who's young, under team control for 5 more years and the Yanks have always had good relations with Boras. Might sound crazy but I think the Yanks would be more willing to trade certain prospects (Torres, Frazier) if Rodon's name was on the table.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 01:30 PM)
Pure entertainment:

That's it! Four years of Q for two years of Mike Trout. Trout and Quintana would be on same team for two seasons.

I would. If things go very wrong in the next couple of years we could still trade Trout for a huge haul.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
I would. If things go very wrong in the next couple of years we could still trade Trout for a huge haul.

With only two seasons of control?

Give me the cheap prospect package for what the White Sox need right now

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)

Yes. Two years and $70M for Trout in 2 offseasons will be incredibly valuable.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)

Absolutely. Two seasons of Trout would get us a way better package than 4 seasons of Quintana right now.

Pure entertainment:

Yes. I'd do just about anything to get Mickey Mantle on the White Sox.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
Absolutely. Two seasons of Trout would get us a way better package than 4 seasons of Quintana right now.

The issue would be the timeline. By the time the prospects landed in return for Trout were ready, the service clock on existing pieces would already be ticking. It would not add up for us or the Angels

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
Yes. I'd do just about anything to get Mickey Mantle on the White Sox.

We could totally gut the rebuild plane before it takes off and offer up a franchise crippling mega deal to the Angels for Trout...we arguably have the prospects to get it done now.

The cost would be unfathomable though

If they trade Quintana and everything they got from the Red Sox and Nationals for Trout they would still have a better team and org built around Trout than the Angels do now. I'd rather have the remaining White Sox "core" of Abreu, Melky, Anderson, Rodon, Migo, Robertson, Jones, Frazier etc. than the Angels' Calhoun, Richards (broken), Simmons, Cron and Shoemaker. Not to mention the Sox would still have a handful of top 100 guys and an exciting 2016 draft class whereas the Angels have done very little to improve one of the worst farm systems of all time.

Give it a shot. Who knows, what if Trout gets better as he enters the prime of his prime?