Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
No it probably won't be. But many of these young building blocks will be on the team and many more will be joining the team with potential looking upward for 2019. 2018 won't be a playoff year but it will be fun to watch.

Or it could be awful if the prospects don't pan out. :P

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
If they trade Quintana and everything they got from the Red Sox and Nationals for Trout they would still have a better team and org built around Trout than the Angels do now. I'd rather have the remaining White Sox "core" of Abreu, Melky, Anderson, Rodon, Migo, Robertson, Jones, Frazier etc. than the Angels' Calhoun, Richards (broken), Simmons, Cron and Shoemaker. Not to mention the Sox would still have a handful of top 100 guys and an exciting 2016 draft class whereas the Angels have done very little to improve one of the worst farm systems of all time.

Give it a shot. Who knows, what if Trout gets better as he enters the prime of his prime?

Our system would be back to being razor thin though. Trout would hugely improve the White Sox the next four seasons, but unloading:

Quintana, Moncada, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, Dunning, Basabe and Diaz for one player would be absurd...even for Trout

We would be giving up 6 seasons of control for most of those players

Edited by steveno89

Our system would be back to being razor thin though. Trout would hugely improve the White Sox the next four seasons, but unloading:

Quintana, Moncada, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, Dunning, Basabe and Diaz for one player would be absurd...even for Trout

We would be giving up 6 seasons of control for most of those players

But OTOH you're getting 25 year old Mickey Mantle.

The proposal I made going to Anaheim probably isn't enough anyways.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
But OTOH you're getting 25 year old Mickey Mantle.

The proposal I made going to Anaheim probably isn't enough anyways.

O posted this in the other thread, but the Sox could offer (theoretically)

Quintana + Moncada + Giolito + One more of our top prospects (Kopech/Lopez/Collins)

For

Trout

25 year old Mantle is enticing, but the risk he gets hurt and the deal blows up on you is too high.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/should-...rts-CQ-RSS-Feed

. The Cubs do have another top prospect at second base approaching big-league readiness in Ian Happ, who was drafted out of college in 2015. The 22-year-old second baseman ranks second at his position in MLB’s top-100 prospects. Perhaps not as polished with the glove, Happ has just as much upside with the bat as Baez. To complete the trade, the Cubs could also add Eloy Jimenez and Cease or Underwood. That’s a lot to pay, but the Cubs have a potential All-Star at all nine positions in the field, and their prospects are not doing much good filling out depth spots on the bench. It’s only natural when a team ascends to the top of the league that the farm system suffers a little bit.

One correction, Q is left handed.

Anyway. One of Happ/Baez and Jimenez is a good place to start. Happ, Jimenez, Candelario + would work for me.

Q and Nate Jones for Schwarber, Baez and Happ + (Cease or Underwood) work for everyone?

Would you have a problem trading with the Cubs? It wouldn't feel good helping the Cubs out with Q and Jones but that haul would be exactly what we need.

Yo to CF, Baez & Happ at 2B/3B Anderson at SS, Schwarber at DH leave Abreu at 1B. We find ourselves a Catcher and corner OFs and half our pitching prospects turn out well we're locked and loaded for 2019 and fun to watch until then.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
Q and Nate Jones for Schwarber, Baez and Happ + (Cease or Underwood) work for everyone?

Would you have a problem trading with the Cubs? It wouldn't feel good helping the Cubs out with Q and Jones but that haul would be exactly what we need.

Yo to CF, Baez & Happ at 2B/3B Anderson at SS, Schwarber at DH leave Abreu at 1B. We find ourselves a Catcher and corner OFs and half our pitching prospects turn out well we're locked and loaded for 2019 and fun to watch until then.

Add in Eloy Jimenez to that and you're getting close to the Cubs price for Q.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)

I don't see the Sox wanted the major league guys. If they did, I would imagine that they would only want one of Baez or Schwarber, probably Baez, and would rather have other minor leaguers to get it done. Heck the Sox just gave up a guy with 5 years of control, I don't see getting two of those back versus guys you can basically squeeze seven years out of.

If I had to put together what a deal should look like, it would be something like Jimenez, Happ, Candelario, Eddy Martinez, and Caratini to get a Q + Jones deal done.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
You haven't factored the Cubs tax in.

I don't know how much more could be reasonably expected. #21 Happ, #23 Jimenez, #99 Candelario is a pretty fair amount to ask for, though I'd like to see a + added to that. Maybe Caratini could be the +.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
The Cubs wouldnt give up Schwarber for Q straight up let alone also give Baez and other prospects. Cmon guys.

I'm not sure if that's true(it might be) but because it's the Cubs this board in general definitely either severely underrates or overrates all of their guys.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 01:30 PM)
Pure entertainment:

Would you trade (you personally) Quintana to Angels for the rights to Mike Trout for his 2019 and 2020 seasons?

That's it! Four years of Q for two years of Mike Trout. Trout and Quintana would be on same team for two seasons.

Seems like a no brainer -- especially with 2019/2020 matching up with when we could be competitive again.

You're basically trading 4 years of a 4-5 WAR player for 2 years of a 9-10 WAR player (discounted a bit for the time delay). I'll take the elite guy, even for 2 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
I don't see the Sox wanted the major league guys. If they did, I would imagine that they would only want one of Baez or Schwarber, probably Baez, and would rather have other minor leaguers to get it done. Heck the Sox just gave up a guy with 5 years of control, I don't see getting two of those back versus guys you can basically squeeze seven years out of.

If I had to put together what a deal should look like, it would be something like Jimenez, Happ, Candelario, Eddy Martinez, and Caratini to get a Q + Jones deal done.

I'd take Baez, Jimenez, and a couple second-tier guys for Q.

5 years of control is perfectly fine. I'd sacrifice a year or two of control for a guy who has already shown he belongs on the big stage, compared to some untested prospect. We traded Eaton b/c we were able to turn him into 3 enticing pieces. Otherwise, he easily could have been part of the rebuild.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
O posted this in the other thread, but the Sox could offer (theoretically)

Quintana + Moncada + Giolito + One more of our top prospects (Kopech/Lopez/Collins)

For

Trout

25 year old Mantle is enticing, but the risk he gets hurt and the deal blows up on you is too high.

A big NO from me. It's one player, who cost $120M for the next 4 years. You essentially give up Q, Sale, and Eaton, who are all on affordable contracts just to get him.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
lol...the Cubs would be idiots if they didn't.

Not sure I want to go down the rabbit hole of debating this but I personally don't feel like they would be idiots for not making that trade. Schwarber has the potential to be a top three power hitter in all of baseball IMO and isnt far away from that right now. Not to mention the guy proved he could do it on the biggest of stages.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
Discussed with one of my friends who is a huge knowledgeable Cubs fan. Asked him who he would give up for Q and Jennings and he said Schwarber ++

I wish your friend was Theo Epstein.