2017 Hall of Fame

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 01:17 PM)
I'm hoping the remaining ballots are the non-Bonds/Clemens people, and their votes are more pro-Guerrero.

Only 2 would be disappointing. 3 is ok, but no Guerrero is a joke. 4 or 5 would be very nice.

If they aren't over 75% now, Hoffman and Vlad aren't making it this time around.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 01:21 PM)
If they aren't over 75% now, Hoffman and Vlad aren't making it this time around.

Probably not, but I'm not saying that definitively. With a lot of the old-schoolers getting chopped off the electorate last year, I'm still holding out a little hope.

In my opinion, they should find a format that three, and only three, former MLB players get in each year. That would be a good percentage of former players that get in. It's more than the top 1%, but still less than 2%. Plus then it wouldn't take 75% to get in.

The whole steroid era kinda messed it all up with the backlog.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
Probably not, but I'm not saying that definitively. With a lot of the old-schoolers getting chopped off the electorate last year, I'm still holding out a little hope.

In my opinion, they should find a format that three, and only three, former MLB players get in each year. That would be a good percentage of former players that get in. It's more than the top 1%, but still less than 2%. Plus then it wouldn't take 75% to get in.

The whole steroid era kinda messed it all up with the backlog.

They need like 78 and 79% of remaining ballots to make it, at a point when percentages historically drop in the balloting process.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
Aside from stats, Guerrero is one of those players that is just "hall-worthy" for how memorable they were. Laser throws from outfield, golf swing home runs. He was just awesome.

Vladimir Guerrero is the only player I've ever seen turn an intentional walk into a double. They were trying to pitch around him, and the pitcher threw the ball eye high and over the left handed batter's box, but Guerrero slapped it down the right field line for a double.

He's also the only player I've ever seen hit a home run off of a ball that bounced before it got to home plate.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
Aside from stats, Guerrero is one of those players that is just "hall-worthy" for how memorable they were. Laser throws from outfield, golf swing home runs. He was just awesome.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 03:45 PM)
Vladimir Guerrero is the only player I've ever seen turn an intentional walk into a double. They were trying to pitch around him, and the pitcher threw the ball eye high and over the left handed batter's box, but Guerrero slapped it down the right field line for a double.

He's also the only player I've ever seen hit a home run off of a ball that bounced before it got to home plate.

Vlad was one of my favorite players ever growing up.

Miggy could've had a double I dont know why he didn't run.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)

One of my all time favorite players. So damn fun to watch.

By the way, just want to say before it becomes a topic...Raines was a good player for the Sox, but he's not ours. He doesn't deserve to get his number retired or a statue. If the Sox want to have a Tim Raines Day where they give away something, and give him a gift, great. But don't get crazy.

May 2, 1987 Tim Raines had one of the greatest individual performances in the history of baseball. He did not get signed until May 1 because of the owner's collusion. Despite not participating in Spring Training he hit the first pitch he saw off the wall for a triple. He proceeded to hit 2 more singles, steal a base, walk once, score 3 runs and then in the top of the 10th in a 6-6 tie he hit a game winning grand slam.

That is an amazing game for anybody at anytime but when you factor in that it was his first game played after sitting out spring training and the 1st month of the season it is almost unbelievable. Truly an amazing player and it's a damn shame it's taken so long for him to get his due.

Here's the slam

If you're bored here's the whole game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp-k-7XL7vw

2018 ballot- Chipper Jones, Jim Thome are locks.

Also on- Rolen, Andruw Jones, Johan Santana, Johnny Damon, Omar Vizquel

Vizquel is going to be the new Jack Morris.

My 2018 ballot-

Guerrero, Clemens, Bonds, Mussina, Schilling, Manny, McGriff, Chipper, Thome

Only 9, but Hoffman is getting in next year along with Vlad, Chipper, and probably Thome.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 06:43 PM)
With Bagwell and Ivan getting in, they're loosening the "Raines" on keeping juicers out.

I just feel Hoffman should've made it.

Bonds and Clemons are going to be telling. They'll likely get in by their 10th year on the ballot.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 03:37 PM)
2018 ballot- Chipper Jones, Jim Thome are locks.

Also on- Rolen, Andruw Jones, Johan Santana, Johnny Damon, Omar Vizquel

Vizquel is going to be the new Jack Morris.

My 2018 ballot-

Guerrero, Clemens, Bonds, Mussina, Schilling, Manny, McGriff, Chipper, Thome

Only 9, but Hoffman is getting in next year along with Vlad, Chipper, and probably Thome.

Andruw Jones and Omar Vizquel have to have legit shots.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 06:55 PM)
Andruw Jones and Omar Vizquel have to have legit shots.

Andruw doesn't pass the smell test. I know the numbers look great for 10 years and the defense, but, ya know...

Vizquel looks like a glove-first Hall of Fame SS. I wouldn't complain if he got in, but the stat nerds are going to be anti-Omar.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
By the way, just want to say before it becomes a topic...Raines was a good player for the Sox, but he's not ours. He doesn't deserve to get his number retired or a statue. If the Sox want to have a Tim Raines Day where they give away something, and give him a gift, great. But don't get crazy.

His best years were in Montreal. He should wear an Expos hat.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 07:04 PM)
Andruw doesn't pass the smell test. I know the numbers look great for 10 years and the defense, but, ya know...

Vizquel looks like a glove-first Hall of Fame SS. I wouldn't complain if he got in, but the stat nerds are going to be anti-Omar.

Vizquel's WAR numbers aren't very good. His peak three year WAR is less than 12.