Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

I'll repeat my polite request from a couple of weeks ago: if we're dealing Quintana to the Astros can we please include C Garrett Stubbs in the return? Rated highly defensively (former Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year), hit .325/.401/.517 at AA last year and is reasonably far enough down their prospects lists that you wouldn't think he'd be a deal-breaker.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 04:10 PM)
I'll repeat my polite request from a couple of weeks ago: if we're dealing Quintana to the Astros can we please include C Garrett Stubbs in the return? Rated highly defensively (former Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year), hit .325/.401/.517 at AA last year and is reasonably far enough down their prospects lists that you wouldn't think he'd be a deal-breaker.

I kinda cooled on him after a poster said in person he's the size of a jack in the box taco.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 04:09 PM)
It's a minor-league deal with $2m guaranteed on making the roster and a further year's option. It's a major-league deal in all but name.

If he is dreadful and 2 other catchers look good in Spring Training or he has a serious injury where he will miss significant time, he won't make the roster

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)
Exactly. If he really had a demand, he wouldn't need to make the team, his money would be guaranteed.

Orrrr Dan Hayes' reporting is right and they're doing it for 40-man-related reasons. Soto is making the roster bar him literally dying. It's the Rollins deal all over again.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)
I kinda cooled on him after a poster said in person he's the size of a jack in the box taco.

Meh. He can be the size of Eddie Gaedel if he hits like that and receives as reported. Taller catchers tend to have big problems in framing.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 04:18 PM)
Orrrr Dan Hayes' reporting is right and they're doing it for 40-man-related reasons. Soto is making the roster bar him literally dying. It's the Rollins deal all over again.

Or Soto the first time...that was also basically a guarantee minor league deal. But yes it is a 40-man roster issue. Doesn't mean a trade is imminent though. Just a work around to keep everyone who is already on the 40-man roster here without having to risk losing them to the waiver wire.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)
And who would have thought we get Giolito and Lopez + for Eaton. And Moncada and Kopich were unachable. The Astro's talk can only help the possibility of a better deal wih another team.

I thought we were getting Robles, Lopez, + for eaton so I don't think it was as out of left field as most thought.

One thing I am certain of is that the Astros aren't getting Q without Tucker or Bregman. I see litttle reason to believe Bregman is moving so Tucker has to be in a Q deal.

If not, the Astros can piss right back off.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 04:35 PM)
One thing I am certain of is that the Astros aren't getting Q without Tucker or Bregman. I see litttle reason to believe Bregman is moving so Tucker has to be in a Q deal.

If not, the Astros can piss right back off.

For Rick Hahn to get Bregman you gotta offer Quintana and Frazier for bregman and more.

Edited by peavy44

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)
For Rick Hahn to get Bregman you gotta offer Quintana and Frazier for bregman and more.

Hence why I said Bregman probably isn't going anywhere.

Maybe Q and Frazier gets you Bregman ++, but I think the Astros arent moving him.

That's why Tucker has to be available, or Luhnow can f*** off.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)
Hence why I said Bregman probably isn't going anywhere.

Maybe Q and Frazier gets you Bregman ++, but I think the Astros arent moving him.

That's why Tucker has to be available, or Luhnow can f*** off.

Scott merkin said astros high on tucker and wouldn't be in a deal.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 04:48 PM)
Where did you see that at?

You guys really lose stuff in telephone game.

Barstooldave hypothesized martes tucker paulino fisher stubbs

Merkin replied no tucker

People asked why

He said he heard "astros were really high on tucker"

That doesn't mean astros are refusing to trade tucker, it means that when throwing out proposed trades, merkin isn't guessing tucker himself because he's heard they like him a lot.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 04:44 PM)
Scott merkin said astros high on tucker and wouldn't be in a deal.

Of course, and the Sox are "high on Q." So what? Therefore, the best position player prospect that the Astros are willing to include is the #83 prospect in baseball, Fisher.

If this is true, I hope Hahn tells Houston to stop wasting his time and stops negotiating with them, until they are ready to be reasonable.

Edited by Lillian