Kopech hit 110 mph on the radar

flavum

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
It's not about him throwing hard -- it's his demeanor and attitude. Some humility will eventually do him good.

Yea some of his vine/insta/etc videos with his plastic girlfriend are awful to me personally. But he is still very young. Kid has some maturing to do obviously as a professional.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
It's not that. It's the whole persona that he's putting out there, as a AA pitcher.

Kopech needs to mature a bit, he is a risky prospect, but one with big upside

His control and secondary stuff need time, but I could see him pushing for a call up in late 2018 if he continues to develop

I don't know, so long as Kopech attitude doesn't involve publicly throwing teammates/coaches/team under bus constantly I wouldn't mind a bigger personality. Big arrogant long-haired texan throwing 100+? Sure, that's what makes sports fun.

That is to say, unless he sucks. If he sucks then its a problem because sucky players should just be sulking about how much they suck.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
I dont have a problem at all with Kopech's attitude. He's a pitcher not a politician. Dont you want him to be obsessed with fitness and competition?

His attitude wouldn't be a problem if he had a clean record. He was suspended for 50 games for a PED in 2015 and then missed time last year when he broke his hand on the face of a teammate. His off the field attitude is directly impacting his on the field performance as a pitcher.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 01:03 PM)
His attitude wouldn't be a problem if he had a clean record. He was suspended for 50 games for a PED in 2015 and then missed time last year when he broke his hand on the face of a teammate. His off the field attitude is directly impacting his on the field performance as a pitcher.

Seems like the fight wasn't his fault based on all publically available information.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
Seems like the fight wasn't his fault based on all publically available information.

I heard something similar, but he threw a punch regardless. I'm not trashing the kid between the lines, I love some attitude on the mound during a game. I am just pointing out there is some cause for concern over the off the field stuff and I hope it doesn't hold him back any further than it already has.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 01:03 PM)

This. It is the same reason that Chris Sale started to get attention for his attitude.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 02:07 PM)
If we're going to hate on talented, cocky, young kids then this rebuild is really going to be tough.

This.

Not sure why some of you guys are hating on him. I don't care if he thinks he's a badass if the results are there. The sky is the limit for him as far as potential goes.

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
Not to excuse or defend him, but I just got a flashback to a time when *another* 100+ flamethrower from Texas retaliated by throwing punches at a player.

Luckily Robin isn't our manager anymore.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 03:12 PM)
Yours is a very reasonable, nuanced position. I hope he can be Jack McDowell 2.0

Or Chris Sale for that matter. Not saying it can't be done, but is definitely something that can hurt players. I remember a story about Jeff Weaver starting a brawl, and everyone hated him so much that no one wanted to leave the dugout.