President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)
Basically the last 20+ years of behavioral science has shown that there is no real evidence for one group being genetically "superior" to others in any way that is relevant to behavior. There are certain traits that are found in certain populations - sickle cell anemia for example, more substantial risk of certain illnesses being triggered by environmental exposures, but in terms of behavior or ability or who you turn out to be in life, things are so complicated by how people are raised, by the interaction between the environment and genetics, that it is impossible to tease out one factor from another. By the time you reach the point of discussing "things that make you successful" you've piled on such a huge degree of complications that teasing out genetic differences is statistically impossible.

Most of those studies have been done using twins - identical genetic material but different environments, and that's the basic result. Aside from specific, genetically at risk diseases, the science argues against these statements. Furthermore, just as he said that "incest" is more common in rural areas (which btw I can't find any evidence to actually support that, it turns out that incest is most common between siblings and there aren't statistics drawing which of those are urban/rural), you have environmental issues that could easily push a different way. Comparing a person from Appalachia with New York for example, someone from New York could very well have higher exposures to lead as a youth in a way that would do greater cognitive damage.

The problem is that the post was so poorly written that it really is impossible to tell what was meant by it.

I think its safe to say that my children are less likely to be as tall as children who came from parents who are both taller than 6'6. But that doesnt mean its a guarantee, just that there is a higher chance.

Which is why Im not 100% sure what Rabbit really meant. Did he mean that in his opinion Ivanka is hot and therefore her children are likely to be hotter than a random person? Is he going down the Seinfeld route that 99% of the population is cant be dated and therefore Ivanka is in his 1% and thus more likely to have a child who he finds attractive as they have similar genes?

I really dont know.

I think that most people who have taken even basic genetic/science classes understand that success/influence at best is slightly connected to genetics. Even in sports its true, otherwise how can Michael Jordan's kids be worse at basketball than Lavar Balls.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 03:09 PM)
I find it interesting that multiple posters continue to harp on raBBit for his genetics comment when we all know the point he was trying to make, while StrangeSox accused everyone who voted for Trump to be racist or racist enablers and implied they were bad people and yet not one of the hardcore liberals on this board called him out for it. In fact, most of them came in and defended his ridiculous statement. As a liberal I don't always agree with raBBit's point of view, but I think he deserves better treatment than he gets around here. There is definitely a bully culture on this subforum with the hardcore liberals leading the charge. It really sucks because I come here to learn about issues and opposing perspectives, including raBBit's, but it quickly turns into a groupthink exercise where the same four or five posters aggressively force their opinion down everyone's throats (as if it were fact) without really giving the other side a chance to explain their views & opinions.

If you voted Trump your vote helped give a racist immense power regardless of the reason you personally voted for him. I'm not sure why calling that enabling is so objectionable but I'm not attached to that phrase.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
The problem is that the post was so poorly written that it really is impossible to tell what was meant by it.

I think its safe to say that my children are less likely to be as tall as children who came from parents who are both taller than 6'6. But that doesnt mean its a guarantee, just that there is a higher chance.

Which is why Im not 100% sure what Rabbit really meant. Did he mean that in his opinion Ivanka is hot and therefore her children are likely to be hotter than a random person? Is he going down the Seinfeld route that 99% of the population is cant be dated and therefore Ivanka is in his 1% and thus more likely to have a child who he finds attractive as they have similar genes?

I really dont know.

I think that most people who have taken even basic genetic/science classes understand that success/influence at best is slightly connected to genetics. Even in sports its true, otherwise how can Michael Jordan's kids be worse at basketball than Lavar Balls.

Because Lavar Ball would kill MJ one on one.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 03:13 PM)
I say incest makes people genetically inferior and SB says I am a flat earther.

Cheap, intellectually dishonest, irrelevant and right up your alley.

Quote where I said that. If you can quote me saying (prior to this post) saying "Rabbit believes that the earth is flat." I will argue on your behalf on this board for the remainder of Trump's presidency.

If you cant, I expect an apology. I know you wont, but itd be nice to think you actually wanted to have a legitimate discussion. As I was going out of my way to try and give you a chance to clarify.

Shame on me for thinking that youd take that opportunity to clarify.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)
That's definitely the case here. It's not like rabbit hasn't continually put his foot in his mouth regarding this topic.

Why don't we give him a chance to clarify his statement without five people jumping down his throat? Imagine trying to explain yourself when you have a half dozen people attacking you. That's my point here. The mob mentality doesn't add to the general discussion, it just creates unnecessary tension for the posters with opposing viewpoints.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
Btw, Trump is on camera right now defending the white supremacists at Charlottesville. Saying many were good people.

He had to "wait for the facts," something he never does in any other context.

Politico was also reporting earlier that his prepared remarks on Saturday were similar to what he said Monday but he deliberately chose to go off script.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 03:09 PM)
I find it interesting that multiple posters continue to harp on raBBit for his genetics comment when we all know the point he was trying to make, while StrangeSox accused everyone who voted for Trump to be racist or racist enablers and implied they were bad people and yet not one of the hardcore liberals on this board called him out for it. In fact, most of them came in and defended his ridiculous statement. As a liberal I don't always agree with raBBit's point of view, but I think he deserves better treatment than he gets around here. There is definitely a bully culture on this subforum with the hardcore liberals leading the charge. It really sucks because I come here to learn about issues and opposing perspectives, including raBBit's, but it quickly turns into a groupthink exercise where the same four or five posters aggressively force their opinion down everyone's throats (as if it were fact) without really giving the other side a chance to explain their views & opinions.

I asked Rabbit to clarify because I think he worded his post poorly. Instead of clarifying he decided to fabricate a story.

That leads me to believe that other people did in fact interpret Rabbit's post correctly because if they didnt all he had to say was:

"Soxbadger was right. My post was worded poorly, I really meant that rich people are more likely to have children who are rich and influential, irrespective of their genetic make up."

It was that simple. But since he wont come out and say that, I think we now have to assume that Rabbit meant what he wrote, Ivanka's children have better genetic make up than people in Appalachia because of common sense.

/shrugs

I dont really care to be honest. All of these "group think" attacks are meaningless. Long before Rabbit posted on these boards I used to argue with many (if not all) of the people who now are "group thinking" against Rabbit.

Is it group think if we all agree 2+2 = 4?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 03:22 PM)
Why don't we give him a chance to clarify his statement without five people jumping down his throat? Imagine trying to explain yourself when you have a half dozen people attacking you. That's my point here. The mob mentality doesn't add to the general discussion, it just creates unnecessary tension for the posters with opposing viewpoints.

I did. He chose to make false allegations about what I said.

What more can I do? Write Rabbit's posts for him?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 04:26 PM)
I asked Rabbit to clarify because I think he worded his post poorly. Instead of clarifying he decided to fabricate a story.

I asked if I read him correctly and was labeled as having a bias against him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)

Rabbit literally just wrote this:

"This isn't a socioeconomic argument. This was about genetics. Because of the behaviors of individuals in one isolated, desolate areas, their offsprings are genetically inferior."

He's had ample opportunity to clarify. I've given him ample opportunity to clarify in my posts. He hasn't said, "You're right. It's a socioeconomic argument." He's argued - without any evidence to support the statement - that people in Appalachia are so inbred that they are genetically inferior.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
If you voted Trump your vote helped give a racist immense power regardless of the reason you personally voted for him. I'm not sure why calling that enabling is so objectionable but I'm not attached to that phrase.

How about the posters who didn't vote for Trump and have never spoken a positive word about him that are still constantly grouped and berated into the enablers, racists, Nazis, wishing sickness and death upon the American public? Nobody is allowed to post a different thought without getting railroaded. That's why no new people ever post in the Buster. I had enough personal attacks that I had to step away, see what happens now.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 03:48 PM)
How about the posters who didn't vote for Trump and have never spoken a positive word about him that are still constantly grouped and berated into the enablers, racists, Nazis, wishing sickness and death upon the American public? Nobody is allowed to post a different thought without getting railroaded. That's why no new people ever post in the Buster. I had enough personal attacks that I had to step away, see what happens now.

I was going to use you earlier actually as a positive example of my point, but the convo had died down and I didn't want to revive it. Clearly Trump went too far for you (and others here like ss2k5 jenks and probably others) to vote for him despite typically preferring Republican policies.

Sixty million others have that threshold somewhere below yours, and Trump didn't hit it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
StrangeSox accused everyone who voted for Trump to be racist or racist enablers and implied they were bad people and yet not one of the hardcore liberals on this board called him out for it. In fact, most of them came in and defended his ridiculous statement.

I would identify as a Democrat for sure - not sure what qualifies one as a hardcore liberal. I guess I would resist that label because I think it is loaded and meant to be derogatory.

I called out StrangeSox for his ridiculous idea that everyone who voted for Trump is a racist.