Discussion: How the Sox compete in 2017

witesoxfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
There are definitely a few names that could be of interest in the Sox eyes.

For example for a super cheap price, I wouldn't mind a guy like Jake Peavy around to show some of the kids how to compete with intensity.

Others of note, Matt Harrison, CJ Wilson, Doug Fister, Henderson Alvarez, Jered Weaver

Somebody to suck up some innings and be a warm body.

Alvarez would be great. He still has upside.

There are definitely a few names that could be of interest in the Sox eyes.

For example for a super cheap price, I wouldn't mind a guy like Jake Peavy around to show some of the kids how to compete with intensity.

Others of note, Matt Harrison, CJ Wilson, Doug Fister, Henderson Alvarez, Jered Weaver

Bringing back Peavy would be entertaining.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 01:17 PM)
Bringing back Peavy would be entertaining.

Screw it. I'm on the Jake Peavy train now haha

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 12:44 PM)
That's fine...all the losses. Imagine if we were able to deal Q and sign Hammel. We would be replacing Sale and Quintana with Holland and Hammel and people would still think we are going to be good next year lol

Losing is one thing. Having many games blown open by the 2nd or 3rd inning could set the fanbase back a bunch.

I stick until the end of blowouts until the end. I bail on rain delays. But last year, I had several Shields starts, and it was getting very difficult keeping up with tradition. People who aren't into it as much are going to become disinterested faster.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 02:10 PM)
Losing is one thing. Having many games blown open by the 2nd or 3rd inning could set the fanbase back a bunch.

I stick until the end of blowouts until the end. I bail on rain delays. But last year, I had several Shields starts, and it was getting very difficult keeping up with tradition. People who aren't into it as much are going to become disinterested faster.

I dunno. I'm not sure that's something to worry about. Being out of it in July is doing a number on this fanbase as is. At least some fans understand they're building to something.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 02:10 PM)

Same for me. They have to establish a decent rotation and have some long relief to maintain interest from the fan base.

Once the Sox trade Quintana and Frazier they aren't going to be getting back any top prospects for other players. That is when the rebuild changes gears and the Sox have to sign some (decent) free agents to fill out the starting rotation and the line-up.

The Bourjos signing looks (to me at least) to be a clear sign that Hahn does not expect to trade for or acquire a decent outfielder prospect before the season starts. That's kind of depressing.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 09:15 PM)
Same for me. They have to establish a decent rotation and have some long relief to maintain interest from the fan base.

Once the Sox trade Quintana and Frazier they aren't going to be getting back any top prospects for other players. That is when the rebuild changes gears and the Sox have to sign some (decent) free agents to fill out the starting rotation and the line-up.

The Bourjos signing looks (to me at least) to be a clear sign that Hahn does not expect to trade for or acquire a decent outfielder prospect before the season starts. That's kind of depressing.

How does Borujos signal that? Any prospect traded for prior to the season likely won't be in the majors to start the year, so how is signing a defensive first OF signalling he won't acquire an OF prospect?

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 08:15 PM)

It only means they aren't expecting a major league ready prospect. But the truth is that you should expect zero of the prospects we just traded for to be on the opening day roster.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 09:30 AM)
It only means they aren't expecting a major league ready prospect. But the truth is that you should expect zero of the prospects we just traded for to be on the opening day roster.

Bourjos is on a minor league deal and far from a lock to make the 25 man roster

I wouldn't read into his signing all that much

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
Bourjos is on a minor league deal and far from a lock to make the 25 man roster

I wouldn't read into his signing all that much

To me, Bourjos is a place filler. Nothing more. Listening to what was said at Soxfest this weekend, they HOPE to see guys like May and Engel MAYBE at the end of this season. There really isn't anyone else who fits the bill for CF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 12:26 PM)
To me, Bourjos is a place filler. Nothing more. Listening to what was said at Soxfest this weekend, they HOPE to see guys like May and Engel MAYBE at the end of this season. There really isn't anyone else who fits the bill for CF.

Right.

The notion that the acquisition of Bourjos will somehow prevent the Sox from picking up a stud outfield prospect is ridiculous.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 12:30 PM)
Right.

The notion that the acquisition of Bourjos will somehow prevent the Sox from picking up a stud outfield prospect is ridiculous.

And let's be honest. If the Pirates called today and said they would send us Meadows in a Q deal, Bourjos would be relegated to fighting for a job in spring training with Tilson to be the back up OF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
And let's be honest. If the Pirates called today and said they would send us Meadows in a Q deal, Bourjos would be relegated to fighting for a job in spring training with Tilson to be the back up OF.

You think Meadows would break camp with the team? I'd rather have him in the minors to start the year to get the extra year of control.