Predict Thy Numbers: 2017 Chicago White Sox

hi8is

1) 60-102. This will be a train wreck of a season. It will be the start of one of the worse eras in team history. 2018 will be worse. I'm hoping JR sells the team after this season. After Frazier, Cabrera and Lawrie are gone after this season the 2018 team payroll will be the lowest in MLB. It will be the perfect scenario for JR to sell the team. The new owner will have the lowest payroll with no big long term contracts on the books. JR bought the team from Bill Veeck in 1981 under the same circumstances.

2) I try to listen to White Sox Weekly every Saturday on WLS-AM. I find it interesting that the host rarely takes calls from the fans. Last week he had some guest on and they both said they expect JR to spend some big money on some premier free agents in the future. (Harper + others) JR hasn't signed a top free agent since Albert Belle. They're dreaming if they think he's going to start doing it next season. I would think a new owner would sign some players before JR would.

As the roster stands right now, I'll go with 76-86.

That's acknowledging that we lost Sale and Eaton, but thinking they also underachieved a bit last year. And sort of like how teams often get hot in September when they're out of the race. This team will be playing in that type of atmosphere/mode from the start, and the lessened pressure will likely result in more winning than expected IMO.

I'm not as excited about the rebuild as I was in early December. I really thought Hahn was going to dump the talent and we were going to go on a 'Beer Run' as other posters have called it. It doesn't appear that is going to happen though. Not a single trade in over 2 months....sigh.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 05:45 AM)
If Q is traded before the season? 64-98

If Q is traded at the deadline? 68-94

Your predictions don't jive...

I will go 78-84, assuming Q or any other major piece isn't moved before the season. Optimistic for sure, but I don't think this team is anywhere near as bad as most everyone here wants them to be.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)

I will go 78-84, assuming Q or any other major piece isn't moved before the season. Optimistic for sure, but I don't think this team is anywhere near as bad as most everyone here wants them to be.

How does it not jive? How do you expect the Sox to have the exact same record as last year when Sale was replaced by Derek Holland and Eaton with Avi Garcia?

Some of you guys are either way high on the projections or think Robin Ventura mattered much more than he actually does. This is a really bad baseball team. I think something like 72-73 wins is the most optimistic and that's a stretch. Even with Q, Frazier, Melky, and DRob for half a season, I don't see how they aren't competing to be the worst team in the AL. They have a terrible offense. Not enough power and guys that don't get on-base. I've done this already but a lineup with: Anderson SS/Abreu 1B/ Melky LF/ Frazier 3B/ Lawrie 2B/ Davidson 3B/ Garcia RF/ Soto C/ Tilson CF is way RH and one of the worst lineups in all of baseball. A rotation with: Quintana/Rodon/Gonzalez/Shields/Holland is solid at the top but pretty bad 3-5. The bullpen should be pretty good. They will also be trading players throughout the season and calling up more young guys. The 75-78 win crowd is very optimistic IMO.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)

78 is flat out crazy talk IMO. This is a bad baseball team. How will they score runs?

89-74 with a wildcard birth

Frazier, Abreu and Shields all regain forms from 2 years ago

Q and Rodon take another step forward

Tilson has a better than expected rookie season

Robertson stops blowing saves

Moncada gets called up in June and tear s*** up

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
How does it not jive? How do you expect the Sox to have the exact same record as last year when Sale was replaced by Derek Holland and Eaton with Avi Garcia?

Aren't you the one that had Charlie Tilson hitting like .290/.350 with 30 swipes, and like everyone else having a career year? That's how it doesn't jive.

I think a bunch of dudes on the Sox had horrible years last year. I think Abreu and Frazier and Lawrie will all be much better. Can't get any worse than our hole in CF was last year, and while losing Eaton obviously hurts, I think Liriano will be better than Avi.

Plus, after Chris first 9 starts, the team was 9-14 in his starts. I think Shields will be better. I expect Q to be Q and Rodon to take another nice step forward.

I said 78 wins is optimistic, because it is, but I think our pitching will be solid, and will improve come June when the young guns come up. This team is no where near top pick territory.

Now, if they are like 5 games under around June and subtract Frazier, Melky, Q, Lawrie, and anyone else they can get something for, than yah, I see them falling closer to 68-72 wins.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 05:24 AM)
1) 60-102. This will be a train wreck of a season. It will be the start of one of the worse eras in team history. 2018 will be worse. I'm hoping JR sells the team after this season. After Frazier, Cabrera and Lawrie are gone after this season the 2018 team payroll will be the lowest in MLB. It will be the perfect scenario for JR to sell the team. The new owner will have the lowest payroll with no big long term contracts on the books. JR bought the team from Bill Veeck in 1981 under the same circumstances.

2) I try to listen to White Sox Weekly every Saturday on WLS-AM. I find it interesting that the host rarely takes calls from the fans. Last week he had some guest on and they both said they expect JR to spend some big money on some premier free agents in the future. (Harper + others) JR hasn't signed a top free agent since Albert Belle. They're dreaming if they think he's going to start doing it next season. I would think a new owner would sign some players before JR would.

This is what Hahn recently said "When the time comes, we will be prepared to be aggressive, and free agency is used usually as a means to round out a championship-caliber roster. We know that's part of this. We are obviously not there at this time, but when the time comes, we are prepared to be aggressive.

"Jerry has been on board in support of this from the start. He's as competitive as anybody. He's as impatient as anybody. He hopes ideally that we get this thing done as quickly as possible. " Taken from a whitesox.com article.

So might not be 2018 but later.But like you I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll go with 100 losses this year. Unfortunately I see some of the new pitchers up this year when Holland breaks down and others are ineffective and they will take their lumps, most likely Fulmer, Giolito and/or Lopez.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 02:48 PM)
This is what Hahn recently said "When the time comes, we will be prepared to be aggressive, and free agency is used usually as a means to round out a championship-caliber roster. We know that's part of this. We are obviously not there at this time, but when the time comes, we are prepared to be aggressive.

"Jerry has been on board in support of this from the start. He's as competitive as anybody. He's as impatient as anybody. He hopes ideally that we get this thing done as quickly as possible. " Taken from a whitesox.com article.

So might not be 2018 but later.But like you I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll go with 100 losses this year. Unfortunately I see some of the new pitchers up this year when Holland breaks down and others are ineffective and they will take their lumps, most likely Fulmer, Giolito and/or Lopez.

Very hollow words. "When the time comes" applied to last offseason, and they failed to deliver, big time. And as for Reinsdorf and his supposed competitiveness, well, his record speaks for itself.

Its been reported that the Miami Marlins are going to be sold for some serious money. ($1.6 Billion) I don't know how the Marlins fans feel about that but I sure wish that the White Sox were getting a new owner. It would be page one news. I doubt that many White Sox fans. would care if JR sold the team. If anything it would provide some hope for the future. This hopeless situation would change in a matter of a year. I would like to think that if the Marlins are sold for that type of money the White Sox can probably be sold for that much. I would absolutely love to see it happen.