Baseball Prospectus ranks

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 02:02 PM)
My irrational love of Hansen tells me he still has the highest ceiling of all our arms, even though I know it's really Rodon and Giolito.

Kopech throws like 146 MPH, I think you can make a solid argument that he's got the highest ceiling of them all. Great problem to have obviously.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
Still not a fan of that upright, lack of follow through. It does help with command however. He's one that will be interesting to follow his injury history.

Lopez will more than likely end up as a reliever. Very few starting pitchers with his size and frame have held up as starters.

I hope that I am wrong, but I still feel he could be a dynamic reliever for us

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 12:36 PM)
Lopez will more than likely end up as a reliever. Very few starting pitchers with his size and frame have held up as starters.

Just remember back in the day people and baseball players were smaller and plenty held up as starters . I think it has more to do with 1. genetics and 2. mechanics. And 2 might be far behind 1.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 02:36 PM)

Stroman? He's a few inches smaller even.

But generally I agree with you, but Sox should give him every opportunity to start.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 02:36 PM)

Lopez is 6'0 -185

Pedro Martinez 5'11-170

There were a whole bunch of experts that thought Pedro was destined for the pen because of his size. That is why he was available in a trade, twice. In no way am I saying Lopez is the next Pedro. I am saying that pitchers can be great regardless of height and build. It'd be quite a bungle in the jungle to banish him to the pen too quickly.

Edited by turnin' two

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
Lopez is 6'0 -185

Pedro Martinez 5'11-170

There were a whole bunch of experts that thought Pedro was destined for the pen because of his size. That is why he was available in a trade, twice. In no way am I saying Lopez is the next Pedro. I am saying that pitchers can be great regardless of height and build. It'd be quite a bungle in the jungle to banish him to the pen too quickly.

I see what you did there . Nice :)

As a fan it's kind of hard to know what to make of injury concerns like that anyway. If it means he can't stay past the 5th inning, then okay, move to pen. If they are like tim lincecum, I mean, ride it and hope they don't get injured. But what are you supposed to do with a probability like that?

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 03:23 PM)
Lopez is 6'0 -185

Pedro Martinez 5'11-170

Comparing Lopez to one of the best starting pitchers of all time is a huge reach

http://www.fangraphs.com/community/six-fee...short-pitchers/

The odds are just not great that a pitcher like Lopez will stick as a starter long term.

Johnny Cueto is 5'11, but is also 215 lbs

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 01:15 PM)
Stroman? He's a few inches smaller even.

But generally I agree with you, but Sox should give him every opportunity to start.

The Sox will probably be extremely careful with Lopez this year. Whether or not you believe in the Verducci Effect , the fact remains Lopez surpassed his career high in innings pitched last year more than anyone. The lines of communication between Lopez and the Sox must be 100 % clear.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
As a fan it's kind of hard to know what to make of injury concerns like that anyway. If it means he can't stay past the 5th inning, then okay, move to pen. If they are like tim lincecum, I mean, ride it and hope they don't get injured. But what are you supposed to do with a probability like that?

I think you just treat him like any other starting pitcher. You monitor innings increasing them incrementally each year and hope they build endurance. In Lopez' case he wasn't with the Sox last year so I am inclined to believe with the the big increase he had they will monitor him very closely. But with Herm Schneider and staff I like his chances at avoiding arm problems. That in itself might be the biggest reason why the Sox have traded for a lot of pitching. They know they are pretty good at developing and having less injuries with them.

It would be shuffling madness to put him in the pen to soon. There is no reason you can't pamper him this year and if he is still dominating he would be able to fetch highly regarded position prospects. Supply/demand stuff could work out...unless he has locomotive breathe!

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)
Comparing Lopez to one of the best starting pitchers of all time is a huge reach

http://www.fangraphs.com/community/six-fee...short-pitchers/

The odds are just not great that a pitcher like Lopez will stick as a starter long term.

Johnny Cueto is 5'11, but is also 215 lbs

Well, see, that's exactly why I made the point of saying I wasn't comparing him in anything but stature and criticism thereof.

As for the Cueto thing, well, are you saying you would feel more optimistic about Lopez if he were fatter? (Fat emoji??)

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)
Well, see, that's exactly why I made the point of saying I wasn't comparing him in anything but stature and criticism thereof.

As for the Cueto thing, well, are you saying you would feel more optimistic about Lopez if he were fatter? (Fat emoji??)

I'm just asking for posters to make a list of current mlb starting pitchers who are 6' or less and also 185 lbs or less

I guaranty you that is a very short list

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 04:47 PM)
I'm just asking for posters to make a list of current mlb starting pitchers who are 6' or less and also 185 lbs or less

I guaranty you that is a very short list

So? Certainly most guys are going to be bigger. There is likely a standard distribution peaking around 6'2-6'3 or so. But rare as they may be, there will always be outliers, guys at either end of the bell curve. How many great hitters could you have named under 5'6 4 years ago? Would that have made you say Jose Altuve would never have been more than maybe a utility guy? We aren't talking NFL or even NBA (certainly has its share of outliers though) being a smaller guy isn't a death knell. And counting a guy out on account of 1 inch (he is 5'11 you imply 6'0 is the magic number) seems rather arbitrary and silly.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 05:14 PM)
Hansen could realistically be a top 30 prospect by the end of next season. I can respect why people are skeptical right now, but a strong year in full season ball will make a lot of believers.

Wasn't he a #1 overall candidate at one point? If that's the case, I think it's pretty clear a return to form means the sky is the limit (and obviously for his prospect status).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 07:25 PM)
Wasn't he a #1 overall candidate at one point? If that's the case, I think it's pretty clear a return to form means the sky is the limit (and obviously for his prospect status).

Yeah, there was definitely talk about it leading into his junior season. Having said that, it's rare to see someone jump from being outside of most top 100 lists to suddenly being a top 30 overall prospect. It can happen, but you really need a situation like Hansen's, where people are still overvaluing his poor college performance (and rightfully so for the most part). If he can dominate A ball and maybe reach AA by the end of the season, I fully expect him to be amongst the highest rated RHP prospects in the minors next year. To your point, the sky is really the limit and these lists will quickly reflect that if he can keep it up.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 07:14 PM)
Hansen could realistically be a top 30 prospect by the end of next season. I can respect why people are skeptical right now, but a strong year in full season ball will make a lot of believers.

It is pretty easy to handwave away part of a year at the lowest levels of the minors. It is impossible to do if he repeats his successes in A and high A.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
Zero

That is the first list that I have seen placing Crawford above Moncada

Seems very odd that the players we think the Sox have targeted have moved up on a lot of these lists ( Meadows, Tucker, Marte, Keller )while the guys they acquired are moving down (Moncada, Giolito).

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 09:14 PM)
Seems very odd that the players we think the Sox have targeted have moved up on a lot of these lists ( Meadows, Tucker, Marte, Keller )while the guys they acquired are moving down (Moncada, Giolito).

Well it's been somewhat of a mixed bag. Kopech & Lopez have both moved up quite a bit over the past 12 months.