Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

Easy to say the Sox should have traded Q last winter but what exactly were the players offered for Q? We don't know, just the reported rumors and that's all. Hard to play hindsight without knowing what exactly has been passed up.

Let's say the Sox hold onto Q. MiGo, Holland and Pelfrey will be gone and with any luck so will Covey. Giolito obviously needs more time so we're currently looking at a 2018 rotation of Q, Shields, Rodon, Lopez and Fulmer with Giolito as #6 on the depth chart.

Given the struggles Giolito has had and that Kopech needs all of this season and the next to build up innings, having Q around for another year doesn't sound so bad. I won't complain if the Sox have Q in their rotation next year. Could end up a blessing.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 25, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
Easy to say the Sox should have traded Q last winter but what exactly were the players offered for Q? We don't know, just the reported rumors and that's all. Hard to play hindsight without knowing what exactly has been passed up.

Let's say the Sox hold onto Q. MiGo, Holland and Pelfrey will be gone and with any luck so will Covey. Giolito obviously needs more time so we're currently looking at a 2018 rotation of Q, Shields, Rodon, Lopez and Fulmer with Giolito as #6 on the depth chart.

Given the struggles Giolito has had and that Kopech needs all of this season and the next to build up innings, having Q around for another year doesn't sound so bad. I won't complain if the Sox have Q in their rotation next year. Could end up a blessing.

Also doesn't look like we have too much pitching does it.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 25, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
Also doesn't look like we have too much pitching does it.

No, it really doesn't and in my post I assume Lopez and Fulmer will be ready to step into the rotation by 2018. If one or both struggle, it will look even worse. I prefer to trade Q to help the rebuild along but Q's silent veteran leadership and experience could help the young guns so having him around still helps the rebuild.

QUOTE (pablo @ May 25, 2017 -> 07:55 AM)
I was in the camp that Q should have been traded before the season started. That being said, the underlying numbers this year are not nearly as bad as the surface numbers.

1) FIP is a full run lower than his ERA

2) K Rate is easily the highest of his career

3) BB Rate is also easily the highest of his career by a wide margin which just smells a little fluky to me.

4) He's running a pretty high FlyBall% currently which is likely leading to his increase in HR/9, but his Hard % & Soft %'s are better than his previous two years. You would expect that to even out.

5) Looks like he's giving up some untimely hits (similar to yesterday) as his LOB% is rather low at 66%. League average usually sits in the 74-75%.

All in all, Quintana looks a tad unlucky based on the above. I'm not an analytics guy, but those are some of the numbers I've been trained to look at from Fangraphs articles (when trying to find some buy-low/sell-high SPs for fantasy). I think the most encouraging thing is the K Rate is way up this year. Everyone thinks that Quintana is a pitch to contact guy, but an an 8.76% K/9 rate is very very good. The BB Rate is curious as he's throwing about as many pitches in the zone as he was last year and his first-pitch strike percentage is in line with last year. If he turns some of those Flyballs into outs rather than HR's, the numbers should correct themselves.

Despite the above, he's going to need to get his ERA down to around 3.6-3.8ish territory or else it's going to be hard for teams to justify trading multiple top prospects for 4+ ERA, especially with other SPs available. Obviously the good thing is the Sox have time to trade Q given his contract so I'm not really worried about not getting a good package for him - they will at some point.

This is a great post. There is so much over reaction to one start and bad ERA which appears to be mostly unlucky. He is still a great pitcher and any team would be lucky to have him. If we keep him through the rebuild that's just fine with me, or if somebody wants to pay the price that's fine with me too. He hasn't lost any value in my mind.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 25, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
He has one more start this month and basically 2 full months until the deadline. I think he will be fine.

This. Q's ERA will be back in the 3s before too long. Yesterday was a bummer, but the Sox still hold the cards. That is the beauty of controlling him through 2020. Q's contract is already past the point of diminishing returns and the Sox could probably get the same value for him in July 2018 as they could this summer. Hahn isn't going to take less than what he wants.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 25, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)

The Houston offer that slipped out was pretty lackluster. If that was typical of what was offered, I take the risk of bringing back Q as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
The Houston offer that slipped out was pretty lackluster. If that was typical of what was offered, I take the risk of bringing back Q as well.

I think I missed this, can you point me to it?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 25, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
No, it really doesn't and in my post I assume Lopez and Fulmer will be ready to step into the rotation by 2018. If one or both struggle, it will look even worse. I prefer to trade Q to help the rebuild along but Q's silent veteran leadership and experience could help the young guns so having him around still helps the rebuild.

Yeah I also say it as people shouldn't freak out if we draft a pitcher in the first this year.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 25, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
Yeah I also say it as people shouldn't freak out if we draft a pitcher in the first this year.

Well drafting a pitcher wont help with pitching next year either. With Kopech, Dunning, and Hansen still coming along I am not too worried about pitching. Yeah next year we wont have much but we will sign a couple of average vets again. We wont be trying to compete next year so I am not worried about next years pitching.

Q will be fine. He usually has a bad start here and there, then has 4-5 solid ones. Personally, I think we should hold onto him for as long as we can to squeeze every last ounce of value he has, or else he stays. I'm seeing the positives of both sides; we keep him, he provides a TOR starter and great veteran leadership, at a more than reasonable (stealing) cost. He is a trooper and will not complain.. We trade him, we help stockpile the farm for the future. It's really a win-win either way for us, in my honest opinion.

Edited by Soxnfins

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)

Can't remember what the offer was exactly , all could find from Google was somethng from sports mockery ( yeah, I know ) that said Martes, Tucker and Paulino were offered. If true, that's a good offer albeit not optimal as far only getting one hitter back. Solid offer but the would urge passed as well.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 25, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)
I think I missed this, can you point me to it?

Best I could find was this. Please don't shoot the messenger.

http://sportsmockery.com/2017/01/houston-a...ntana-revealed/

QUOTE (bmags @ May 25, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)

There's limited hitters worthy of going high in the draft so I'm expecting a pitcher to be honest. I hope a hitter like Haseley or Pavin falls but not counting on it. If the BPA @ #11 happens to be a pitcher that's fine with me. I would rather take a pitcher over Adell.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 25, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
Can't remember what the offer was exactly , all could find from Google was somethng from sports mockery ( yeah, I know ) that said Martes, Tucker and Paulino were offered. If true, that's a good offer albeit not optimal as far only getting one hitter back. Solid offer but the would urge passed as well.

There's limited hitters worthy of going high in the draft so I'm expecting a pitcher to be honest. I hope a hitter like Haseley or Pavin falls but not counting on it. If the BPA @ #11 happens to be a pitcher that's fine with me. I would rather take a pitcher over Adell.

Didn't the Sox reject because they wanted Musgrove? I would easily subtract Martes out of that deal if it meant 2 other bats came back.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 25, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)

Not sure what's going on with Martes' severe control issues this season but I'd take that offer then and now. Even if Martes and Paulino end up as bullpen pieces, I REALLY like Tucker's potential and the idea of plugging him into an outfield alongside a similarly aged Luis Robert.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ May 25, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
Not sure what's going on with Martes' severe control issues this season but I'd take that offer then and now. Even if Martes and Paulino end up as bullpen pieces, I REALLY like Tucker's potential and the idea of plugging him into an outfield alongside a similarly aged Luis Robert.

100% agree. I wanted a Martes/Tucker headlined package all offseason. And honestly, Paulino would have been a nice 3rd piece even if we'd positional player. My guess is this offer wasn't available or Hahn would have taken it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2017 -> 01:44 PM)
That's what I remembered. The package was awful. Maybe Fisher, Paulino, and Reed as headliners?

Thinking back I want to say that Tampa turned down that offer from Houston for Archer. (Tucker, Martes, etc)