Pedro Alvarez

BlackSox13

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
Still, if Davidson excites anyone, where is the Leury Garcia love? He's not a power hitter, but can play a lot more postions, is a heck of a lot faster than Davidson and his age and AAA OPS is the same?

I give him love as a 25th man but I don't think there will be enough room for him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
Still, if Davidson excites anyone, where is the Leury Garcia love? He's not a power hitter, but can play a lot more postions, is a heck of a lot faster than Davidson and his age and AAA OPS is the same?

Chicks dig the long ball. :lol:

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 06:36 AM)
Think it kinda depends on how many OFs they plan on keeping and if they want to give Asche or Davidson those at bats or not.

No need for Alvarez since the Sox have plenty of would be DH's already. I'd like see Melky moved to the DH spot.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
No need for Alvarez since the Sox have plenty of would be DH's already. I'd like see Melky moved to the DH spot.

Yeah I wouldn't mind Melky getting most of the at bats plus getting guys like Abreu in there to remain fresh. Then you can see if Avi can at least look capable in LF, Tilson in CF and then I guess Liriano in RF?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 06:43 PM)

I want Alvarez. The Sox rebuild is SLOW. So try to win this year as well. We need a DH desperately. On paper he'd be a prime candidate to blossom. We always sign pitchers who are on the comeback trail, why not hitters?

Alvarez would fill a need. Then you add a catcher and a middle reliever via trade if we are in contention at the all star break. I can't figure out how the Sox are selling any season tickets at this point. They are just telling the fans we are rebuilding at a snail's pace. We have a ton of veteran players still but we have no intention of contending with them.

Seriously ... Shields?? Robertson?? Frazier?? Melky?? Avi?? Abreu?? Lawrie?? Holland?? Q?? And we're rebuilding?? I don't get it at all!!!! Don't insult me, White Sox. Pick up Alvarez now please.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
Yeah I wouldn't mind Melky getting most of the at bats plus getting guys like Abreu in there to remain fresh. Then you can see if Avi can at least look capable in LF, Tilson in CF and then I guess Liriano in RF?

Liriano or Bourjos in RF would work for me. I like the idea of Tilson in LF, Bourjos in CF, Ashe or Liriano in RF, Melky DH and Avi the new DFA. :D

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
I want Alvarez. The Sox rebuild is SLOW. So try to win this year as well. We need a DH desperately. On paper he'd be a prime candidate to blossom. We always sign pitchers who are on the comeback trail, why not hitters?

Alvarez would fill a need. Then you add a catcher and a middle reliever via trade if we are in contention at the all star break. I can't figure out how the Sox are selling any season tickets at this point. They are just telling the fans we are rebuilding at a snail's pace. We have a ton of veteran players still but we have no intention of contending with them.

Seriously ... Shields?? Robertson?? Frazier?? Melky?? Avi?? Abreu?? Lawrie?? Holland?? Q?? And we're rebuilding?? I don't get it at all!!!! Don't insult me, White Sox. Pick up Alvarez now please.

How are they rebuilding at a snail's pace?

They traded away 2 of their biggest assets within a day of each other.

What's so hard to understand? Even if they traded all those guys, it's not like the rebuild would be over. There was no market for most of them this off-season. Have patience man.

How long during the regular season do you give these guys like Davidson and Asche a chance to succeed?

I keep seeing people suggest Davidson gets a chance in the MLB.

How many ABs or Games (Non-DH) is your definition of "a chance" exactly? Does Davidson get a longer chance than Asche? Does Avi get a longer chance than both? When is enough enough? Then how long do you give the next man up a chance to prove himself if he's not a top prospect and just someone you are trying out?

Maybe this is more of a topic than post. Just interested in seeing your opinions.

Edited by rowand's rowdies

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:03 PM)
How long during the regular season do you give these guys like Davidson and Asche a chance to succeed?

How many ABs or Games (Non-DH) is your definition of "a chance" exactly? Does Davidson get a longer chance than Asche? Does Avi get a longer chance than both? When is enough enough? Then how long do you give the next man up a chance to prove himself if he's not a top prospect and just someone you are trying out?

Maybe this is more of a topic than post. Just interested in seeing your opinions.

Probably a decent amount of at bats. It's not like someone else is knocking on the door for those at bats. Hopefully a team needs a 3B and Frazier is dealt early.

What does Alvarez do for us though?

He is marginally better than replacement level with limited upside

Our intention is to TANK the next 2 seasons, why bother making additions like him?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)

Our intention is to TANK the next 2 seasons, why bother making additions like him?

I think we're seeing in this thread that some fans would rather see the Sox stay on the treadmill of mediocrity, than tank and rebuild properly.

Personally I'm all-in on the tank - but the Sox need to move more players and do it soon if they're going to do it right. It will probably be too late if they wait for the all-star break or trading deadline to make some deals.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:03 PM)

They will both wash out relatively quickly. (Davidson and Asche) Honestly there is a decent chance that neither is on the opening day roster, and rightfully so.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
They will both wash out relatively quickly. (Davidson and Asche) Honestly there is a decent chance that neither is on the opening day roster, and rightfully so.

Hell, Asche may not even be in the minors since he would have to be DFA'd. Especially when you factor in having to make room for guys not on the 40-man but probably going to make the team (Bourjos comes to mind).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Soha @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:21 PM)
I think we're seeing in this thread that some fans would rather see the Sox stay on the treadmill of mediocrity, than tank and rebuild properly.

Personally I'm all-in on the tank - but the Sox need to move more players and do it soon if they're going to do it right. It will probably be too late if they wait for the all-star break or trading deadline to make some deals.

I'm definitely on board with this rebuild but Hahn can't force teams to trade for the Sox hot garbage. At this point there's no market for Melky, Frazier, Robertson, Shields etc. No choice but to play them and hope to trade them later.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 07:02 PM)
What's so hard to understand? Even if they traded all those guys, it's not like the rebuild would be over. There was no market for most of them this off-season. Have patience man.

How can you have patience when Hahn has said they knew last year's fast start was a mirage and they'd be rebuilding. They could have traded Frazier and Melky and Robertson last year if their value allegedly would plummet to nothing.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 07:10 PM)

We acquire pitchers all the time and Coop fixes them. Alvarez was a top draft pick and so many people on here are convinced if we tank we'll get top draft picks who will excel. More draft picks flop than excel.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 07:36 PM)
I'm definitely on board with this rebuild but Hahn can't force teams to trade for the Sox hot garbage. At this point there's no market for Melky, Frazier, Robertson, Shields etc. No choice but to play them and hope to trade them later.

Who acquired this hot garbage to begin with? You guys trust our front office way more than I do. Sell the team, JR, please.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)

Those guys are all potential deadline deals, all we can do is hope that they have strong seasons to increase their value

We want to tank and pick as close to #1 overall as possible for the strong 2018 draft class

We also will have a ton of payroll flexibility after 2 more seasons, with pretty much no expensive contracts on the books any more

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
Those guys are all potential deadline deals, all we can do is hope that they have strong seasons to increase their value

We want to tank and pick as close to #1 overall as possible for the strong 2018 draft class

We also will have a ton of payroll flexibility after 2 more seasons, with pretty much no expensive contracts on the books any more

Agree with everything you say. Heck, as long as Shields sucks we may as well keep him. He alone could be worth three or four wins under replacement. :lol: