Pedro Alvarez

BlackSox13

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was all for stop gap types a couple months ago, but at this point, why even bother? Let's see what we have with AAAA and fringe guys like Davidson, Liriano, Sanchez, Saladino, Willy Garcia, Tilson, and even Avi. Having the DH spot open for a rotation is best call at this point.

No idea what the point of Pedro Alvarez is at this juncture.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:00 PM)
How are they rebuilding at a snail's pace?

They traded away 2 of their biggest assets within a day of each other.

3 trades in 2 trading periods, from a team with 8-10 players that need to be moved. Maybe not a snail, but not a greyhound either.

On another topic, they should be working L Garcia. He's the real super sub, his O, while still dismal, has improved, and with some more improvement it would be acceptable for a super sub. The advantage of a guy like him is that he can take the position of the no-hit 4th OF and the no-hit utility infielder, saving a spot on the roster for another hitter, or, dare I suggest, actually platooning a LF or RF (when we get some platoonable players).

Saladino should be 2B now. Well at this point, I suppose they should try to dress Lawrie up for 1/2 a season and see if they can get something for him, and then let Saladino handle 2nd full time.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
I want Alvarez. The Sox rebuild is SLOW. So try to win this year as well. We need a DH desperately. On paper he'd be a prime candidate to blossom. We always sign pitchers who are on the comeback trail, why not hitters?

Alvarez would fill a need. Then you add a catcher and a middle reliever via trade if we are in contention at the all star break. I can't figure out how the Sox are selling any season tickets at this point. They are just telling the fans we are rebuilding at a snail's pace. We have a ton of veteran players still but we have no intention of contending with them.

Seriously ... Shields?? Robertson?? Frazier?? Melky?? Avi?? Abreu?? Lawrie?? Holland?? Q?? And we're rebuilding?? I don't get it at all!!!! Don't insult me, White Sox. Pick up Alvarez now please.

For someone who didn't like Adam Dunn, you would absolutely loathe Alvarez.

All or nothing swings? Check

Strikeouts galore? Check

And greg's #1 pet peeve, swinging for Homers when the shift gives you a huge hole? Check.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
I want Alvarez. The Sox rebuild is SLOW. So try to win this year as well. We need a DH desperately. On paper he'd be a prime candidate to blossom. We always sign pitchers who are on the comeback trail, why not hitters?

Alvarez would fill a need. Then you add a catcher and a middle reliever via trade if we are in contention at the all star break. I can't figure out how the Sox are selling any season tickets at this point. They are just telling the fans we are rebuilding at a snail's pace. We have a ton of veteran players still but we have no intention of contending with them.

Seriously ... Shields?? Robertson?? Frazier?? Melky?? Avi?? Abreu?? Lawrie?? Holland?? Q?? And we're rebuilding?? I don't get it at all!!!! Don't insult me, White Sox. Pick up Alvarez now please.

You really need to step your troll game up, this s*** is getting pathetic.

I was (and am) a big advocate for the rebuild but i'm all for signing Alvarez. If the money is right (like 2-3 mil) then he could be flipped if he's hot, and released if he's not. He isn't blocking any stud prospects and he has a track record of being decent. He also isn't going to be so good that the team will win 6 extra games or something. It doesn't seem like there's any market for him, but who knows.

QUOTE (daggins @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 04:54 PM)
I was (and am) a big advocate for the rebuild but i'm all for signing Alvarez. If the money is right (like 2-3 mil) then he could be flipped if he's hot, and released if he's not. He isn't blocking any stud prospects and he has a track record of being decent. He also isn't going to be so good that the team will win 6 extra games or something. It doesn't seem like there's any market for him, but who knows.

Sign him don't sign him. I don't care. All these nobodies will all have low OBP's and batting averages. To get some runs we'll have to hit some bombs and not enough guys hits bombs. Alvarez hits bombs. Would be nice to have a few exciting wins this year. Not going to go 0-162 . But anyway Sox aren't going to sign him so it's all moot.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 09:01 PM)
Zack Colliins, as a Left handed DH and third string catcher would make some sense.

Matt Davidson as a Right Handed DH second string third basemen might also make some sense.

Trying to keep ZC at Catcher & first full year? Absolutely no way he should be on the big league team this year.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 10:01 PM)
Zack Colliins, as a Left handed DH and third string catcher would make some sense.

Matt Davidson as a Right Handed DH second string third basemen might also make some sense.

No way. That would hurt Collins development. Also, the backup to Frazier has to be able to play multiple positions. Davidson needs to win the DH job or hope Frazier is out a while.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 07:51 PM)
Do you even know who you're talking about anymore?

Yes. At least Alvarez is a former high draft pick. If you can sign him for 5 million, why not?? In our snail's pace rebuild we might surprise and be .500 at the break and then try to go for it.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 11:12 PM)
3 trades in 2 trading periods, from a team with 8-10 players that need to be moved. Maybe not a snail, but not a greyhound either.

Vindication! That's what I'm saying.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 12:36 AM)
For someone who didn't like Adam Dunn, you would absolutely loathe Alvarez.

All or nothing swings? Check

Strikeouts galore? Check

And greg's #1 pet peeve, swinging for Homers when the shift gives you a huge hole? Check.

I do advocate bunting when the shift is on. It's absolutely absurd to not plop a bunt to third and take the gift base hit.

QUOTE (daggins @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 12:54 AM)
He isn't blocking any stud prospects and he has a track record of being decent.

Exactly, but the Sox are counting their penny savings during the rebuild I guess. Remember that when you buy your 8 dollar hot dog and down it in 3 bites.

Holy crap, are you serious?

Firstly, Davidson sucks out loud at baseball. He never was an MLB-caliber player, and he never will be.

More importantly, you want to rush Collins, who hasnt even proven himself beyond 150 or so PA @ A+, into a team thats probably going to suck? Why?

If he'd be good this year, all that would accomplish is to waste his controllable years on bad teams. More likely, he'd be bad, & a perfectly good prospect would likely be ruined.

Why not bring up Moncada, too, right?

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 09:04 PM)
Brent Lawrie should try to play Left field , otherwise he will have a tough time making the 25 man roster.

With Lawrie's leg still bothering him, shagging fly balls in LF could be difficult. Imo, the longer the leg issue sticks around the better the chance of him being released as ST comes to an end.

Back to Alvarez. For the second straight season ST begins with Alvarez unsigned. Hmm, wonder why. He's a horrible fielder, K's a ton and cannot hit LHP. The Sox are better off with moving Melky or Abreu to DH and stay away from Alvarez.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 12:17 AM)
Holy crap, are you serious?

Firstly, Davidson sucks out loud at baseball. He never was an MLB-caliber player, and he never will be.

More importantly, you want to rush Collins, who hasnt even proven himself beyond 150 or so PA @ A+, into a team thats probably going to suck? Why?

If he'd be good this year, all that would accomplish is to waste his controllable years on bad teams. More likely, he'd be bad, & a perfectly good prospect would likely be ruined.

Why not bring up Moncada, too, right?

Agreed,, Collins has a ways to go yet. With the Sox rebuilding there's no need to rush any player or set any time tables. Their performance in the minors will dictate when they are ready. Personally, I could care less if Giolito, Lopez, Moncada and Fulmer spend the whole season in the minors. They are all so young that there's plenty of time for them to develop.

One cannot want the team to tank but then suggest signing a washed up player as a LH DH because the line-up lacks power.

The sooner Collins and Moncada are brought up, the sooner they start getting the experience they need. Minor league experience is overrated and

can be counterproductive to players who can get too comfortable there and accustomed to lower expectations and an inferior level of competition.

Collins can catch a few games here and there and get major league at bats as a platoon LH DH or pinch hitter. Moncada can share time with Saladino.

The rebuilding process involves trading veteran players and bringing up the top prospects to see if they can compote at this level and to gain major league experience.

The ONLY way Collins should be a DH is after years of failing at C and 1B.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 03:10 AM)
One cannot want the team to tank but then suggest signing a washed up player as a LH DH because the line-up lacks power.

The sooner Collins and Moncada are brought up, the sooner they start getting the experience they need. Minor league experience is overrated and

can be counterproductive to players who can get too comfortable there and accustomed to lower expectations and an inferior level of competition.

Collins can catch a few games here and there and get major league at bats as a platoon LH DH or pinch hitter. Moncada can share time with Saladino.

The rebuilding process involves trading veteran players and bringing up the top prospects to see if they can compote at this level and to gain major league experience.

Ah yes, the Gordon Beckham approach to handling and developing young, supposedly elite talent. Screw that development time in the minors! Bring 'em all up ASAP and let's get this thing going at the MLB level immediately! Terrific idea!!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 08:09 AM)
Ah yes, the Gordon Beckham approach to handling and developing young, supposedly elite talent. Screw that development time in the minors! Bring 'em all up ASAP and let's get this thing going at the MLB level immediately! Terrific idea!!

There are many cases of guys being brought up too soon, but I don't know how Beckham is constantly used. He obviously was ready to play in the major leagues at that point and dominating the minors wasn't going to do anything for him. Maybe failure in the minors would have helped him, but it wasn't happening, and he was so rushed, he was the Sporting News ROY.

These guys are going to stay down for a while no matter what, but I think that is more about service time being wasted while they totally suck then about being ready to be called up. If the White Sox weren't trying to win in 2009, Beckham probably would have stayed in Charlotte until September. That is probably what will happen here even if these guys are dominating.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 08:21 AM)
There are many cases of guys being brought up too soon, but I don't know how Beckham is constantly used. He obviously was ready to play in the major leagues at that point and dominating the minors wasn't going to do anything for him. Maybe failure in the minors would have helped him, but it wasn't happening, and he was so rushed, he was the Sporting News ROY.

These guys are going to stay down for a while no matter what, but I think that is more about service time being wasted while they totally suck then about being ready to be called up. If the White Sox weren't trying to win in 2009, Beckham probably would have stayed in Charlotte until September. That is probably what will happen here even if these guys are dominating.

Yeah I don't mind waiting for them. It's not like we are trying to win next season. I'd rather have them them up in the majors with as much control as possible when they're going for it.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 02:10 AM)

Sorry, but you're just flat-out wrong about rushing prospects up.

The second you bring a player up is the second he's on his way to becoming a FA, IF he becomes a legit MLB caliber player. The business side of the game involves keeping as many of your young, talented players under control for as long as possible. This is particularly true for a thrifty org like JR's White Sox.

Thus, to waste a f***ing BILLISECOND of MLB service time on "development" is dumb, given the CBA. Better to maximize service time, & bring up players when they are as close to being finished products as possible. Again, if Moncada & Collins are legit, they probably aren't going to re-sign here. (Watch what happens when Rodon hits FA.)

What's more, the team will suck out loud, & the Sox are still in the "disposal/distribution" phase of the rebuild. Q, Robertson, Melky, Frazier, and others need to be out the door before Id even dream of bringing any of the youngsters up. YMMV.