Pedro Alvarez

BlackSox13

White Sox [Current Depth Chart] — Chicago currently projects to have quite an unproven MLB roster on Opening Day, and yet more holes could open if the club pulls off a spring trade or two. Unless the team shifts Melky Cabrera to the DH hole, that spot is wide open at present. Adding the veteran hitter might help keep fans in the seats and ease the transition that the club is overseeing

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/02/poss...p;post-id=86413

I'm sure Alvarez is going to keep fans in the seats. :lol:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alvarez would definitely upgrade our DH. I'll believe the signing of him it when I see it. The team has no interest in signing anybody. One of the major objectives the next 2 seasons is to lower the payroll. As it stands now we probably have pitchers who can hit better than our DH.

Edited by WBWSF

guy has been in my sox talk avatar since i started here, but i agree with above - I'm not really sure how he fits in....i suppose purely for organizational depth at DH/1b, but assuming frazier stays, id rather see davidson there.

If we were a 87 win team trying to get to 89, than sure, maybe give it a whirl, but no point in going from a 71 to 72-73 win team. especially because even if alvarez performs well, he will command next to nothing at the deadline

He fits as a guy who if he performs, might be able to be flipped for a prospect. Or if he is good, a guy who could be a long term DH but that is really reaching.

They aren't going to sign him. His skillset will always keep his salary down as his defense will keep teams from ever paying him.

I still don't get the Matt Davidson love. At least Avi sucked in the major leagues. Davidson sucked at AAA and people want Avi out of here and Davidson given a chance. Even Davidson's "breakout" last year gave him a OPS .001 lower than Leury Garcia. They are all pretty much the same age. Leury is 8 days older than Davidson, and Avi is about 3 months younger.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 08:49 AM)
He fits as a guy who if he performs, might be able to be flipped for a prospect. Or if he is good, a guy who could be a long term DH but that is really reaching.

They aren't going to sign him. His skillset will always keep his salary down as his defense will keep teams from ever paying him.

I still don't get the Matt Davidson love. At least Avi sucked in the major leagues. Davidson sucked at AAA and people want Avi out of here and Davidson given a chance. Even Davidson's "breakout" last year gave him a OPS .001 lower than Leury Garcia. They are all pretty much the same age. Leury is 8 days older than Davidson, and Avi is about 3 months younger.

To be clear, my comment above wasn't giving Davidson any love. Just an idea of why Alvarez could be signed. If Avi is targeted for RF and you assume a combo of Cabrera, Tilson and Bourjos (4th OF) make the roster, it would depend on how Liriano, Davidson and Asche look this spring.

Edited by soxfan2014

Alvarez is highly unlikely to be worth much of anything at the deadline as his glove is terrible, limiting him to DH only

I honestly don't think he does much of anything for us as a rebuilding team

i also have 0 expectations for davidson, hes done absoutely nothign to prove that he is even a major league backup let alone a regular...i just dont see the point in paying for veteran with limited upside who will be a slight upgrade over a young player with limited upside

Davidson is miles better defensively than Avi. Miles.. and can actually hit for power. Now, actually hitting his weight for average and striking out is another story (Avi is just a better hitter which is why he's a big leaguer and Davidson is not) but he isn't completely terrible. Maybe useless, but not terrible. :lol:

I still have hopes for Davidson, but I'm also not holding my breath.

Edited by SoxAce

Literally the only difference between Avi and Davidson is Davidson wasn't even good enough to get the chance to fail at the major league level.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 09:46 AM)
Literally the only difference between Avi and Davidson is Davidson wasn't even good enough to get the chance to fail at the major league level.

I mean he did get his call up last year only to break his foot day 1. Odds are he won't be good, but we'll never know if he would've actually been given a real look last year since the opportunity was snatched away so quickly.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
I mean he did get his call up last year only to break his foot day 1. Odds are he won't be good, but we'll never know if he would've actually been given a real look last year since the opportunity was snatched away so quickly.

I am quite ok with his years of suck at AAA telling me everything I need to konw.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
I am quite ok with his years of suck at AAA telling me everything I need to konw.

Like I said, he'll probably be bad (due to track record that you pointed out), but to say he was so bad that he didn't get the chance to fail at the Major League level is a bit short-sighted considering the injury. That's all I'm saying.

To me the likelihood that Pedro Alvarez performs to the level that a team wants to acquire him via trade and that player is good enough to make the majors is lower than the possibility that Davidson/Avi suddenly become average MLB starters and worth keeping.

And I think both of them are very unlikely to become that.

Alvarez put up an OPS .034 higher in the AL last year than Davidson put up his 4th year in AAA that gave anyone any optimism about his future.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, Alvarez and Avi are the better bets to have any success, and Alvarez is having a hard time finding a job, and no one wants Avi anywhere near the roster.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 10:19 AM)
Alvarez put up an OPS .034 higher in the AL last year than Davidson put up his 4th year in AAA that gave anyone any optimism about his future.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, Alvarez is the better bet to have any success, and he's having a hard time finding a job.

But Alvarez having success doesn't really matter to this team. If you are talking about building assets for the future, I can't see many scenarios that Alvarez finds a market in July, teams just don't have spots for players that are this one dimensional. He won't net you anything, unless he somehow becomes a different player with us.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)
But Alvarez having success doesn't really matter to this team. If you are talking about building assets for the future, I can't see many scenarios that Alvarez finds a market in July, teams just don't have spots for players that are this one dimensional. He won't net you anything, unless he somehow becomes a different player with us.

You never know if he is hitting. At least he has shown he can hit. What do you think the White Sox could get for Davidson?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
You never know if he is hitting. At least he has shown he can hit. What do you think the White Sox could get for Davidson?

At this point? Nothing, which is also what Alvarez is getting. If he shows he can make enough contact to be a regular? He plays 3b, would certainly be able to play 1b, and so I would imagine an interesting young arm at the very least.

Ultimately this is low stakes. I just dont' see Alvarez as worth the time. He makes us better this year, but to what end, and he blocks two players time that have slightly more asset potential.

Those two players he is blocking are also not very good. So this is pointless, mostly.

We all want Davidson to succeed, but I dont know if it can really be said he has earned a MLB spot. He's not a prospect anymore, really, either.

If he was an everyday player, it'd be because of what we are, not because of who he is. So for that reason i cant say i'm going to be horrified if this happens.

Playing an Alvarez is akin to playing a Davidson (26 yrs old), in terms of development.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)

They are not going to get anything for either of them. Davidson probably will do worse, which is what we want since we're rebuilding and want a crack at Seth Beer.