Hawk reducing games in 2017 - offers to step away from PBP after 2017

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 08:36 PM)
If they lose 100 games in 2018 they will have have 2 awful trades with Sale and Eaton.

You actually think guys like Basabe, Diaz will be ready by that point?

Hell, even Kopech might be a stretch. (although I can see him midseason possibly. He'd have to really go off this year to start bt 2018 and the sox have already said they're not rushing guys)

Edited by SoxAce

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think something did recently change too. He did a Garfein interview well after both trades, well aware that team would suck and that was the I want to do this four more years and "I want to die in the booth".

Whatever it is, he's had a rich life and pretty cool he gets to decide on his terms.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 07:08 AM)
Can one of the Anti-Hawk and Pro-Benetti people please explain why they dislike Hawk and like Benetti?

Hawk is, today at least, an awful announcer. He throws in a constant stream of drawl-tinged one-liners that got old a decade ago pretty constantly, leaves huge gaps of silence when he's not in a good mood, and utterly refuses to acknowledge most any useful statistical measures. He spends half his broadcasts telling old war stories, and they're the same ones.

My question is, what is he actually good at? I will say that when the team is doing well, he's obviously very excited about it and that helps bring the fans in emotionally. I think that's his only positive quality in the job, to be honest.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 07:17 AM)
Hawk is, today at least, an awful announcer. He throws in a constant stream of drawl-tinged one-liners that got old a decade ago pretty constantly, leaves huge gaps of silence when he's not in a good mood, and utterly refuses to acknowledge most any useful statistical measures. He spends half his broadcasts telling old war stories, and they're the same ones.

My question is, what is he actually good at? I will say that when the team is doing well, he's obviously very excited about it and that helps bring the fans in emotionally. I think that's his only positive quality in the job, to be honest.

I'll say this for Hawk even now: his content is awful but he still sounds like no one else. I like Benetti but he is a move toward "broadcasting voice". When you turn on the television and Hawk is on it sounds like white Sox and nothing else. Something that distinctive was cool, is cool, but was not everything.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 07:20 AM)
I'll say this for Hawk even now: his content is awful but he still sounds like no one else. I like Benetti but he is a move toward "broadcasting voice". When you turn on the television and Hawk is on it sounds like white Sox and nothing else. Something that distinctive was cool, is cool, but was not everything.

I guess I don't see how "different" is good in and of itself. Plenty of different voices available, but the southern-twanged euphemism bot isn't really what I'd hope for.

I feel like there is a machine where you can talk into it with your voice and it outputs what you've said in another voice. Like in spy-related movies. If this technology exists then why can't Hawk stay forever?

I think Machine Hawk or Ghost Hawk would satisfy everybody because whoever is talking into the machine can just be like a 3/10 on the Old Curmudgeon Scale instead of a 46.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 03:04 AM)
You actually think guys like Basabe, Diaz will be ready by that point?

Hell, even Kopech might be a stretch. (although I can see him midseason possibly. He'd have to really go off this year to start bt 2018 and the sox have already said they're not rushing guys)

Not those but Giolito, Lopez and Moncada should be. Those are the impact talents of the trades. If they aren't making significant contributions by the middle of 2018, they were bad trades.

Remember the question was "will the Sox lose 100 games in 2018." If those three can't do that, the Sox have no hope beyond 2018 either.

Kopech will not be ready until 2019 at the earliest. Who know about Diaz, Dunning and Basabe.

Edited by ptatc

Entertaining. He tries to explain to fans why something is happening on the field. Too many of the broadcasters that use stats instead of examples try to educate fans on numbers behind the game instead of the game.

Personally, and I know I'm old and in the minority, but I enjoy hearing about comparisons of player style and approaches to the game. Granted, Hawk goes overboard but I like it better than the dry professionalism in an entertainment industry.

I like Hawk and Jason.

One thing they have got to do is if they continue with Sox math, and I'm not on Twitter so I don't participate, they need to allow for more than the same guy winning every time. OK dude, we get it. You know all the players numbers and have 3 Ipads set up to BR to get all the answers. Once you win, you should be ineligible to win again until the next season.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 07:56 AM)
Entertaining. He tries to explain to fans why something is happening on the field. Too many of the broadcasters that use stats instead of examples try to educate fans on numbers behind the game instead of the game.

Personally, and I know I'm old and in the minority, but I enjoy hearing about comparisons of player style and approaches to the game. Granted, Hawk goes overboard but I like it better than the dry professionalism in an entertainment industry.

Like 70 percent of him at this point is dead air. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't find him entertaining at all at this point.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 08:04 AM)
I like Hawk and Jason.

One thing they have got to do is if they continue with Sox math, and I'm not on Twitter so I don't participate, they need to allow for more than the same guy winning every time. OK dude, we get it. You know all the players numbers and have 3 Ipads set up to BR to get all the answers. Once you win, you should be ineligible to win again until the next season.

I agree. It's a good combo.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 08:14 AM)
Like 70 percent of him at this point is dead air. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't find him entertaining at all at this point.

Yep. Personal preferences.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 06:50 PM)
Something changed. He seemed really happy with the situation at the end of last season. So either it is a health issue with himself or maybe his wife or someone, I am thinking maybe his eyesight, or something hit him. Maybe he realizes the team is going to suck and it won't be pretty for a few years. Whatever it is,I wish him well.

The rebuild happened.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 07:49 AM)
Remember the question was "will the Sox lose 100 games in 2018." If those three can't do that, the Sox have no hope beyond 2018 either.

It wasn't a question, but we're on the same page regardless.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 07:56 AM)

I mean, I'm an older guy too (relative to most of the board anyway, I assume). I like explanations, and some stories sprinkled in. But he doesn't really explain things, he just tells a lot of stories.

I am not saying I want super-dry either. I will probably get crucified for this, but I really like the Cubs TV team. They are entertaining, have fun, but deliver good info and are open to all manner of angles. They incorporate advanced stats, but aren't dry. It is possible to do both.

That's a fair assessment. I disagree, but I see where you're coming from.

I don't think anyone can deny that Hawk's announcing talents have gradually gotten worse (even since I've been a fan since 2005), but his health and eyesight is probably starting to go unfortunately which is out of his control. But I've grown up with Hawk announcing Sox games and his presence on the broadcast is one of the most unique and fun things about being a Sox fan in my opinion.

I'm not saying Benetti is bad...I just don't particularly care for him. He's just a prototypical announcer. There's nothing unique about him.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 10:06 AM)
That's a fair assessment. I disagree, but I see where you're coming from.

I don't think anyone can deny that Hawk's announcing talents have gradually gotten worse (even since I've been a fan since 2005), but his health and eyesight is probably starting to go unfortunately which is out of his control. But I've grown up with Hawk announcing Sox games and his presence on the broadcast is one of the most unique and fun things about being a Sox fan in my opinion.

I'm not saying Benetti is bad...I just don't particularly care for him. He's just a prototypical announcer. There's nothing unique about him.

Hawk took some time to grow into his role too, he has evolved into what we know now, and in the 90s is when he became self aware. If you listen to some of his older sound bites he sounds much different than what you know now.

Bennetti will find his groove. He won't please everyone, just like Hawk, but he will find what makes him unique

While I can appreciate his Sox homerism, I grew tired of his constant complaining about the umps years ago. He's the biggest reason I listen to the radio while watching the TV on mute. I wish him nothing but the best but IMHO it's time to move on.