Rays acquire Bourjos

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 07:10 AM)
So you would have cut him, but you are annoyed that the Sox traded him for cash considerations?

It would have been nice to get a C prospect or a few bucks from the Latin American money, but I mean look who we are talking about? Hopefully the goodwill with Tampa pays off down the line at some point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 07:57 AM)
It would have been nice to get a C prospect or a few bucks from the Latin American money, but I mean look who we are talking about? Hopefully the goodwill with Tampa pays off down the line at some point.

I was hoping "cash considerations" would be at least a little international bonus pool money

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 08:11 AM)
I doubt the cash considerations will cover lunch. His defense has been slipping. He can't hit with power, doesn't hit for average, doesn't make much contact, doesn't get on base, and doesn't steal many bases.

He was going to be a mediocre placeholder at best.

Yep. I'd rather give the at bats to a kid. Glad May (and even Garcia) had some great springs.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 06:07 AM)
? They needed a right handed hitting OF. Now thry have one. All it cost is cash.

Why didn't they sign him before Spring Training started then? I wouldn't pay anything for Bourjos, even if it is just money. He's mediocre at best and I don't know how the Rays don't have a minor leaguer they could've given an opportunity to instead of him.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 08:26 AM)
Why didn't they sign him before Spring Training started then? I wouldn't pay anything for Bourjos, even if it is just money. He's mediocre at best and I don't know how the Rays don't have a minor leaguer they could've given an opportunity to instead of him.

I think injuries happened. Rasmus is expected to start the season on the dl and they want Mallex Smith to start out in the minors. They only have like 5 right-handed hitters on the roster (2 being behind the plate).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 08:11 AM)
I doubt the cash considerations will cover lunch. His defense has been slipping. He can't hit with power, doesn't hit for average, doesn't make much contact, doesn't get on base, and doesn't steal many bases.

He was going to be a mediocre placeholder at best.

Seriously, no one was giving up anything of value for this guy. This move is 100% about using playing time, which is an asset during a rebuild, on a player who actually has a non-zero chance of becoming part of the long term mix. Give May the CF job for now and see if Asche can develop into a useful bench piece. Bourjos's poor bat and detoriating defense wasn't going to offer us much.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 08:53 AM)
He makes Darrin Erstad look useful.

Actually that was the name that I thought of as they described him, except the grounders are hit weakly to the SS instead of 2b.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 08:02 AM)
I don't think it would matter since it would be for this current period.

I wonder if they could trade for an international bonus slot for next year as a PTBNL type of deal. Make the deal for a PTBNL or cash and then convert it to an international slot on J2.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 03:30 PM)
I wonder if they could trade for an international bonus slot for next year as a PTBNL type of deal. Make the deal for a PTBNL or cash and then convert it to an international slot on J2.

Interesting thought. The official release now says PTBNL or cash. Obviously, doesn't say how much or who or when but I like your idea.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 09:30 AM)

That is an interesting thought. I wonder if that is even possible.