White Sox have "set" Luis Robert market

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)
Seriously? I would classify the White Sox as the favorites personally.

Badler is usually very good about this stuff, and if he thinks a team that is over the limit already is more likely to sign him, i'm inclined to believe it.

That said, there's always a chance the Sox surprise.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
With it being the last shot to spend before the new rules, I can see a real bidding war erupting.

I understand this viewpoint, but for many teams the eruption (gross) already happened. No way a team like the Pads could legit spend double their ML payroll on one INTL class. STL / HOU are more in the range of a team that could spend big having only banked $15 million. But As already also went big at $15 mill. Do we see them bidding into the $30 mill, putting them at a $45 mill spend? Can't see it, not with the money they are losing in new CBA to push them to get a stadium.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
Badler is usually very good about this stuff, and if he thinks a team that is over the limit already is more likely to sign him, i'm inclined to believe it.

That said, there's always a chance the Sox surprise.

Sure because that makes sense. I wrote an entire article on this though. Badler specifically mentioned the Sox as the team that kept coming up the most in discussions about where he'd land. He even said Sox could blow past pools to sign him. The Sox don't have any current rumored signings for the next period. This is a big factor IMO. They can sign him for any amount and just pay the tax. They won't be reneging on any offers with players for the next period. It being the White Sox makes complete sense.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
I see the Reds as the dark horse with STL or HOU the favorites. SDP and OAK less likely for the reasons bmags laid out above. CHW are the true wild cards here.

The Reds...definitely a team that really could use him as their rebuild seems awful so far in terms of bringing in talent.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)
Sure because that makes sense. I wrote an entire article on this though. Badler specifically mentioned the Sox as the team that kept coming up the most in discussions about where he'd land. He even said Sox could blow past pools to sign him. The Sox don't have any current rumored signings for the next period. This is a big factor IMO. They can sign him for any amount and just pay the tax. They won't be reneging on any offers with players for the next period. It being the White Sox makes complete sense.

In addition (and maybe you wrote this :$ ) we have more and more money coming off the books, whereas the rest are adding.

That said, STL are rich and out a draft pick.

Probably shouldn't talk myself into Sox signing him too much, could be a big gut punch.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
In addition (and maybe you wrote this :$ ) we have more and more money coming off the books, whereas the rest are adding.

That said, STL are rich and out a draft pick.

Probably shouldn't talk myself into Sox signing him too much, could be a big gut punch.

I'd rather not expect to sign him and not sign him than to get my hopes extremely up only for him to sign somewhere else lol I'm not going to expect anything and if we end up signing him, it'll be f***ing awesome lol

I think the Sox need this guy more than anybody else. They need the fans to stay somewhat engaged over the next couple of rough, losing years. If they cheapskate out here, it will give some people the impression this is a phony rebuild. I think the Sox are the favorites and will get him.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:48 AM)
Jesse Sanchez @JesseSanchezMLB

now

Source: Cuban OF prospect Luis Robert, 19, was declared a free agent today but will not be eligible to sign until May 20. @MLBPipeline

So basically a month of possible show-cases and then a little less than month of making a decision.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)

We all hope so

Despite being cleared I don't expect Robert to sign until May or early June after he does a few more workouts

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
Man. Robert would be such a nice addition to the system but I honestly have no faith that the Sox will spend enough to get him.

If they can't spend enough to get him, their rebuilding efforts are doomed and none of this matters anyway.

I know many love to say that JR is like the cheapest man of all time but look around at so many of the guys we signed and traded for over the years. Were they all on the cheap? I don't think so. For a team that cant get anyone in the stands and doesnt have companies bending over backwards to give the Sox money for advertising, they spend a decent amount of money on talent. IMO

Could they spend more? For sure, I think many ML teams could but I never had the sense that the Sox were totally hamstrung for signing someone due to cash available. It seems like they certainly have their limits on what they see as value for guys out there (Cespedes) being one of them but its not like they are the Pirates or Marlins of the world.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 12:25 PM)
I know many love to say that JR is like the cheapest man of all time but look around at so many of the guys we signed and traded for over the years. Were they all on the cheap? I don't think so. For a team that cant get anyone in the stands and doesnt have companies bending over backwards to give the Sox money for advertising, they spend a decent amount of money on talent. IMO

Could they spend more? For sure, I think many ML teams could but I never had the sense that the Sox were totally hamstrung for signing someone due to cash available. It seems like they certainly have their limits on what they see as value for guys out there (Cespedes) being one of them but its not like they are the Pirates or Marlins of the world.

Those were established players in MLB though, Reinsdorf is on record saying he doesn't like prospects

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:31 AM)
I understand this viewpoint, but for many teams the eruption (gross) already happened. No way a team like the Pads could legit spend double their ML payroll on one INTL class. STL / HOU are more in the range of a team that could spend big having only banked $15 million. But As already also went big at $15 mill. Do we see them bidding into the $30 mill, putting them at a $45 mill spend? Can't see it, not with the money they are losing in new CBA to push them to get a stadium.

Looking at the Forbes list, the Houston Astros made $76 million in profit last year. The White Sox made $42 million, the Cards made $40.5 million, the A's made $25.5 million, and the Padres made $22.8 million.

Even if you look at just those profit numbers, the list of teams interested is flush with cash to spend. That list doesn't include a lot of revenue streams, and it also isn't including any projections for this year.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:48 AM)
Jesse Sanchez @JesseSanchezMLB

now

Source: Cuban OF prospect Luis Robert, 19, was declared a free agent today but will not be eligible to sign until May 20. @MLBPipeline

Does that mean he can agree to a deal before then, but not just sign it, or not able to negotiate until then?