White Sox have "set" Luis Robert market

Sleepy Harold

There are two ways to look at this.

On one hand, the Sox have a very low payroll and so have excess money to spend on this kind of player. On the other hand, it has been the general disposition of ownership—though less so in the past 5 years or so—that big expenditures on young amateurs are generally bad investments. So you have a tension...you have money to spend, but you also have a feeling that it's a bad expenditure.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Th e approach the Sox have taken as far as being cautious with these free agent signings hasn't been bad. Maybe Robert is top notch I don't know, but I would ask how many BIG dollar signings have really made significant impacts? Spend your money wisely and don't get into a money spending frenzy. Abreu cost us like $10M a year and made an immediate impact, but look at Viciedo

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
Those were established players in MLB though, Reinsdorf is on record saying he doesn't like prospects

Yes he has and imho, Williams has taken a brunt of the backlash from fans. Not that Williams has always made the best of decisions, just that JR's mentality towards prospects has forced Williams to the old "rebuild on the fly" way of doing things which thank goodness the Sox have moved on from. Same can be said for Hahn during the '15/'16 winter where Hahn had a very small window in the budget to work with to build a " contender" for JR. Imho, JR set Hahn up for failure that winter.

However. Obviously JR is on board with this rebuild so there is cause for some optimism that JR will open the wallet for a talent like Robert.

Think I'll just keep my expectations in check to avoid a potential let down if Robert signs elsewhere. Just going to remain a little hopeful is all.

Those were established players in MLB though, Reinsdorf is on record saying he doesn't like prospects

Oh well, you got me there. I am SURE JR literally doesnt like prospects at all. Especially now when the team is rebuilding.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
Th e approach the Sox have taken as far as being cautious with these free agent signings hasn't been bad. Maybe Robert is top notch I don't know, but I would ask how many BIG dollar signings have really made significant impacts? Spend your money wisely and don't get into a money spending frenzy. Abreu cost us like $10M a year and made an immediate impact, but look at Viciedo

According to Sportrac, in Viciedo's 6+ seasons with the Sox his total earnings were slightly under $16.5M, $4M of which was a signing bonus. Not really a huge $ commitment.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
With it being the last shot to spend before the new rules, I can see a real bidding war erupting.

This is exactly why I think this will be a huge number. Moncada received $31.5M and Robert is allegedly every bit the prospect that Moncada was. With the last shot at acquiring this level of talent for many clubs and the likelihood that you are going to be able to acquire solid talent for $300K and below due to the new hard caps, I think this will be a bidding war and that it is going to get expensive quickly.

This would be the equivalent of the #1 prospect in baseball being a free agent, and the team that wins this is going to have to reach deep into their pockets.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
Looking at the Forbes list, the Houston Astros made $76 million in profit last year. The White Sox made $42 million, the Cards made $40.5 million, the A's made $25.5 million, and the Padres made $22.8 million.

Even if you look at just those profit numbers, the list of teams interested is flush with cash to spend. That list doesn't include a lot of revenue streams, and it also isn't including any projections for this year.

In addition, as we found out with the Moncada trade, those tax payments on overages are not due within the immediate year after a signing, the Red Sox still were paying off the $31.5 M tax they owed.

Joe Borchard was a record signing at the time and for a few years later. Abreu wasn't established. He gave Tank $10 million. Whatever Robert signs for, he costs double, so we will see. But I would bet they make a good pitch.

They haven't spent a lot on prospects, but they have spent more than most see.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)
In addition, as we found out with the Moncada trade, those tax payments on overages are not due within the immediate year after a signing, the Red Sox still were paying off the $31.5 M tax they owed.

I thought they were still paying the actual bonus, which could be spread over 3 years, and not the actual taxes owed on the bonus?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)

I don't think this is accurate.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/222594028/pi...picid=151437456

I'm intrigued by what I've read about Cuban outfielder Luis Robert thus far. Could you do a side-by-side comparison of his tools to Yoan Moncada, back when Moncada was showcasing his workouts prior to free agency?

-- J.P. S., Springfield, Ill.

Robert is the most exciting Cuban prospect since Moncada, who famously signed for a record $31.5 million bonus (and cost the Red Sox a matching tax penalty as well) in March 2015. Robert is 19, the same age Moncada was when he turned pro, making a comparison even more apt.

At 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds, Robert is longer and leaner than Moncada, who was 6-feet and 210 pounds at the same stage in his career. They both had eye-catching bat speed (Robert as a right-hander, Moncada as a switch-hitter) that projects into plus power. Moncada graded as a better hitter than Robert, who had some swing-and-miss issues in international competition, though the latter still shows enough promise to be a .275 hitter.

The biggest difference between the two is speed, as Moncada was a well-above-average runner while Robert is solid and could be merely average once he fills out. Moncada's plus arm was at least a half-grade better than Robert's, and Moncada also offered more defensive value. Moncada has the athleticism and arm to play in the infield, while Robert figures to become a corner outfielder.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 01:14 PM)
Jim Callis‏Verified account @jimcallisMLB 48m48 minutes ago

Jim Callis Retweeted jsanchez1878

Yes, Robert should jump into the top 25 on our Top 100 somewhere as soon as he signs.

How much are the Sox willing to pony up to land a top 25 overall prospect to our system at a position where we are thin?

Sox front office is likely all in if this rebuild is serious

Interesting Q in the MLBTR chat:

Eric

2:09 Is the possible pending arrival of Otani going to discourage some teams from going after Robert? A team that goes over the limit on Robert will be dq'ed from the next international signing period, correct?

Jeffrey Todd

2:09 Good point. That would be the case. Technically they'd be limited to sub-$300K bonuses, and Otani is obviously willing to take less money, but still that'd be a huge sacrifice on his part.

2:10 John Manuel said today though that he sees Robert as a top-25 prospect out of the gates, so that decision would be plenty justifiable for basically any team. There's no guarantee you're going to be the one org that Otani picks.

All the more justifiable for, say, Reds/Pads/White Sox.

With the Sox newfound wealth of pitching prospects, maybe they will go all-in on Robert.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
Interesting Q in the MLBTR chat:

Eric

2:09 Is the possible pending arrival of Otani going to discourage some teams from going after Robert? A team that goes over the limit on Robert will be dq'ed from the next international signing period, correct?

Jeffrey Todd

2:09 Good point. That would be the case. Technically they'd be limited to sub-$300K bonuses, and Otani is obviously willing to take less money, but still that'd be a huge sacrifice on his part.

2:10 John Manuel said today though that he sees Robert as a top-25 prospect out of the gates, so that decision would be plenty justifiable for basically any team. There's no guarantee you're going to be the one org that Otani picks.

All the more justifiable for, say, Reds/Pads/White Sox.

With the Sox newfound wealth of pitching prospects, maybe they will go all-in on Robert.

Padres have already spent a ton in the past 12 months on international players and the draft

If the bidding ends up costing $30 million or so I'm not sure I see them shelling out even more money to sign Robert

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)
Padres have already spent a ton in the past 12 months on international players and the draft

If the bidding ends up costing $30 million or so I'm not sure I see them shelling out even more money to sign Robert

To be honest, I can't see the Sox shelling out that much (or close to it) for a 19-year old.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 04:09 PM)
To be honest, I can't see the Sox shelling out that much (or close to it) for a 19-year old.

To get Moncada , Kopech, Basabe and Diaz the Sox gave up Chris Sale who had basically 3 years ( 1 and 2 option years ) left on his contract totaling $38M. I will guess if the bidding goes beyond $18M the Sox are out.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 06:32 PM)
To get Moncada , Kopech, Basabe and Diaz the Sox gave up Chris Sale who had basically 3 years ( 1 and 2 option years ) left on his contract totaling $38M. I will guess if the bidding goes beyond $18M the Sox are out.

Then JR should sell the team. Fuggin payroll is gonna be about $3.50 for the next few years spend all your money on lotto tickets while you rebuild. Cheap asses

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 06:32 PM)

I know Robert isn't quite the prospect Moncada was when he signed but one thing that is concerning is that it's possible Robert is worth Moncada's 31.5M contract in today's market. Not to be Debbie Downer but it's that possibility that keeps my expectations kinda low.