Tim Anderson's Defense

QUOTE (pablo @ May 1, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)
Not sure where you are getting that I don't believe Tim is a SS, but I guess you can spin it how you like. He's a very good SS who is already premium at the position.

In case you missed it, Sox are in a rebuild and should be acquiring the best talent possible and if that means you duplicate a few positions and figure out where everyone plays later then that is what you do. Only point I am trying to make. Tim's athleticism is an asset to the organization in this regard.

Trea Turner was a SS "Full Stop" until June last year, played about a week of games in CF, and then transformed a struggling Nats team and took them to the playoffs. I'm guessing you would have kept him in the minors all last year at SS though.

That's only because they had no other options and they didn't really move him around, they left him there. They traded for Eaton to get him out of the CF and back to SS. They isn't a move him around.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 1, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)
His defense is so much better than I expected. His floor is already above average which is huge- ceiling is greatness. Defensively that is. Worrying about a young person making some mistakes and jumping to conclusions from it is in the manual of What Not To Do As An Adult Human.

My original point was it is very special to watch Tim go after very difficult pop ups and short fly balls in no man's land and make some unbelievable catches. This made me think (a thought I have always had as well as some others around here) that I'm sure Anderson would be a great CF as well.

My next point was how since the Sox are in a rebuild it would be smart to trade for the best prospects available no matter the position (pitcher or hitter). If Bregman, Rosario, Albies (name some other great SS prospect) are/were ever on the table, the Sox I assume would not turn something down just because they have Tim at SS.

Knowing full well that Tim can be a great SS and assuming with time he can also be a great CF (evidenced by the way he goes back on fly balls), would anyone around here be upset if we were to acquire a great SS prospect and then also have a potential great CF in Tim?

I am not advocating a move to CF for Tim whatsoever unless the situation presented itself.

QUOTE (pablo @ May 1, 2017 -> 02:09 PM)
My original point was it is very special to watch Tim go after very difficult pop ups and short fly balls in no man's land and make some unbelievable catches. This made me think (a thought I have always had as well as some others around here) that I'm sure Anderson would be a great CF as well.

My next point was how since the Sox are in a rebuild it would be smart to trade for the best prospects available no matter the position (pitcher or hitter). If Bregman, Rosario, Albies (name some other great SS prospect) are/were ever on the table, the Sox I assume would not turn something down just because they have Tim at SS.

Knowing full well that Tim can be a great SS and assuming with time he can also be a great CF (evidenced by the way he goes back on fly balls), would anyone around here be upset if we were to acquire a great SS prospect and then also have a potential great CF in Tim?

I am not advocating a move to CF for Tim whatsoever unless the situation presented itself.

Just about all of the good to great SS's in the majors make amazing plays on fly balls. Its a hallmark of being athletic.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 1, 2017 -> 02:18 PM)
Just about all of the good to great SS's in the majors make amazing plays on fly balls. Its a hallmark of being athletic.

Not all have Anderson's 65 grade speed and thus wouldn't be able to play CF.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2017 -> 02:14 AM)
Man is he bad defensively this year. Easily has the worst defensive fWAR of any starting SS. Plain and simple, he's just been awful so far this season.

He's got a LONG ways to go. He's Lexi before Lexi got good.

Everyone needs to remember that he's still very new to the position in general. He's kind of a victim of his own success as he was so damn good last year despite still being very raw out there. And don't get me wrong, he's been bad and really bad so far but I'm confident he'll be just fine out there.

They certainly could just give the position to Saladino for a month and let Tim get his head on straight.

Not sure it's the RIGHT time just yet for that type of move, I think they will wait until the end of May...and it's not like Saladino has just pushed in the door forcing himself to get playing time with his level of play this year. He hasn't been much better, except from a defensive standpoint.

The other thing we don't really know about for sure is how close the friend that passed away recently was to Tim. That could be yet another explanation.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2017 -> 07:57 PM)
Bernstein had Dan Hayes on the show today and suggested Anderson be sent down to AAA if his slump continues. I was surprised that Hayes didn't rule it out. Hayes actually thought it could be a good idea.

It would give him a chance to work with Moncada a bit, but I think that is about the 20th option for the White Sox.

I do think his new contract has something to do with this. He's trying to make the most simple plays look spectacular. He's still making the spectacular plays, and offensively it seems like he has been in swinging at the first pitch no matter what mode thinking it will be served on a platter like it is for many who have reputations of never swinging at the first pitch. He's trying too hard IMO to do too much. Hopefully, eventually he will calm down and slow everything down.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I know on twitter a couple days ago he made a couple posts that a close friend/brother? passed away. The guy looked about the same age as Tim. I know something like that is so difficult to deal with not sure we will see the Tim Anderson we would like to see for a while.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 9, 2017 -> 09:08 AM)
It would give him a chance to work with Moncada a bit, but I think that is about the 20th option for the White Sox.

I do think his new contract has something to do with this. He's trying to make the most simple plays look spectacular. He's still making the spectacular plays, and offensively it seems like he has been in swinging at the first pitch no matter what mode thinking it will be served on a platter like it is for many who have reputations of never swinging at the first pitch. He's trying too hard IMO to do too much. Hopefully, eventually he will calm down and slow everything down.

I've said this all year long with my Dad...he just seems to be really pushing himself trying to justify the contract and has put a ton of pressure on himself. He'll settle down eventually once he gets past this mindset IMO...he's still young.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2017 -> 01:57 AM)
Bernstein had Dan Hayes on the show today and suggested Anderson be sent down to AAA if his slump continues. I was surprised that Hayes didn't rule it out. Hayes actually thought it could be a good idea.

I'd send him down for the rest of the season and work with the Big Hurt on pitch selection. You can't make it hacking at everything. Send him down and have a proven big leaguer like Big Hurt show him how to use his talent. If not he's destined for failure the way he hits. His fielding is not so hot either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2017 -> 10:29 AM)
I don't recall seeing a single post to this extent once we drafted Rodon.

Especially because Turner's stock had fallen to the point that he might have been a second round get.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 9, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)
I'd send him down for the rest of the season and work with the Big Hurt on pitch selection. You can't make it hacking at everything. Send him down and have a proven big leaguer like Big Hurt show him how to use his talent. If not he's destined for failure the way he hits. His fielding is not so hot either.

jeezus

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ May 9, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)
jeezus

Since we're in a rebuild, why is Anderson learning in the bigs? I thought people on this board were in favor of not rushing prospects. I think many would agree with me his approach to hitting is horrific. And his fielding is average at best.

Doesn't that scream MINORS in a rebuild?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 9, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
Since we're in a rebuild, why is Anderson learning in the bigs? I thought people on this board were in favor of not rushing prospects. I think many would agree with me his approach to hitting is horrific. And his fielding is average at best.

Doesn't that scream MINORS in a rebuild?

He's signed to a lengthy major league contract already, there's no need for him to be in the minors.