Red Line Radio With Brian Anderson

gosoxgo2005

Hey fellas, asked Bilek for permission to post the show on here today.

We had Brian Anderson on our podcast last night and the reception was great, Brian had a lot of great stories from his first call up in 2005, the brawl vs. the Cubs in 2006 (where he beat John Mabry's ass), the blackout game, and Bobby Jenks putting back 50 beers on cross country flights Wade Boggs style and yes, Juan Uribe's legendary wang. Thought I'd share it here for those who may be interested

It was a lot different than the Hahn interview from a few weeks back, this was completely unfiltered off the cuff. Even I thought we shoulda cut some of it out because I wasn't sure if some of the stories were meant for public consumption but Brian didn't want us to, so we rolled with it.

For anyone who listens, PLEASE hammer us with any and all comments and criticisms. We're really trying to make this thing big (and it's grown ten fold since we first started) and since we are so new and raw at this we gotta hear and absorb any and all critiques of us.

Let us know what you think, thanks!!!!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/red-lin...1210156055?mt=2

PS - shout out to Bilek for the assist in putting me in contact with BA, always comes through in the clutch for me

Edited by gosoxgo2005

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ May 2, 2017 -> 04:55 PM)
Hey fellas, asked Bilek for permission to post the show on here today.

We had Brian Anderson on our podcast last night and the reception was great, Brian had a lot of great stories from his first call up in 2005, the brawl vs. the Cubs in 2006 (where he beat John Mabry's ass), the blackout game, and Bobby Jenks putting back 50 beers on cross country flights Wade Boggs style and yes, Juan Uribe's legendary wang. Thought I'd share it here for those who may be interested

It was a lot different than the Hahn interview from a few weeks back, this was completely unfiltered off the cuff. Even I thought we shoulda cut some of it out because I wasn't sure if some of the stories were meant for public consumption but Brian didn't want us to, so we rolled with it.

For anyone who listens, PLEASE hammer us with any and all comments and criticisms. We're really trying to make this thing big (and it's grown ten fold since we first started) and since we are so new and raw at this we gotta hear and absorb any and all critiques of us.

Let us know what you think, thanks!!!!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/red-lin...1210156055?mt=2

PS - shout out to Bilek for the assist in putting me in contact with BA, always comes through in the clutch for me

I saw you tweet that he rejected a date from Jessica Biel? This enrages me so much lol

Edited by soxfan2014

I thought the interview with me went well.

Good interview. He comes off as a guy who a) who doesn't take life too seriously and b) as someone who still would name drop Frank Thomas or Griffey to get special status into somewhere. Not saying I wouldn't name drop too, but you can tell he was probably pretty immature back when he was a kid with the Sox.

It's too bad he wasn't more focused with the Sox and couldn't have a longer career. Even with a .250 batting average and 15HR a year he could have had a 2-3 year career as a starter and then 3-5 more as a backup. A lot of lost money.

I enjoyed his stories though.

On advice on the Podcast? I've been a Barstool reader and listener for sometime -you guys have gotten better over the weeks, but still seem to talk over each other a bit much. Also wouldn't mind more segments focusing on:

The minor leagues

Have better prepared questions - less about who could drink more beer, more on baseball -but I get the brand -half comedy, half sports.

If I think of more ideas I'll let you know.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ May 3, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
I thought the interview with me went well.

Good interview. He comes off as a guy who a) who doesn't take life too seriously and b) as someone who still would name drop Frank Thomas or Griffey to get special status into somewhere. Not saying I wouldn't name drop too, but you can tell he was probably pretty immature back when he was a kid with the Sox.

It's too bad he wasn't more focused with the Sox and couldn't have a longer career. Even with a .250 batting average and 15HR a year he could have had a 2-3 year career as a starter and then 3-5 more as a backup. A lot of lost money.

I enjoyed his stories though.

On advice on the Podcast? I've been a Barstool reader and listener for sometime -you guys have gotten better over the weeks, but still seem to talk over each other a bit much. Also wouldn't mind more segments focusing on:

The minor leagues

Have better prepared questions - less about who could drink more beer, more on baseball -but I get the brand -half comedy, half sports.

If I think of more ideas I'll let you know.

Appreciate the advice. We do think we've improved, but there are miles of improvements to be made. We're both type A hard ass idiots, so the talking over each other thing is something that will be hard, but also something we absolutely have to work on. Again, we love hearing this kind of stuff because we want you guys to have a good experience listening for an hour twice a week and the better it is for you, the better it is for us on our end.

Thanks for listening! In the coming weeks we will start having more away team guests on, as well as more front office people. Zack Burdi is gonna come on as well once he gets called up. Lot of good stuff lined up

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ May 3, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
Appreciate the advice. We do think we've improved, but there are miles of improvements to be made. We're both type A hard ass idiots, so the talking over each other thing is something that will be hard, but also something we absolutely have to work on. Again, we love hearing this kind of stuff because we want you guys to have a good experience listening for an hour twice a week and the better it is for you, the better it is for us on our end.

Thanks for listening! In the coming weeks we will start having more away team guests on, as well as more front office people. Zack Burdi is gonna come on as well once he gets called up. Lot of good stuff lined up

I finally listened to the BA interview (and one other). He was a really good guest. It really seems like BA's immaturity cost him a career. Sounds like he didn't prepare or listen very well. That said, at least he owned it in this interview. I still think he deserved more of a chance with the Sox, but his lack of preparation probably was a factor in him not playing more.

The one thing I'd suggest is less swearing from the hosts. I'm not offended by it, but it's not really necessary. It makes for a less polished sounding podcast.

It's good to have a Chicago sports-centric podcast. Keep it up.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

Mark Gonzales told me the story when the Sox were in Cleveland and instead of watching pregame video on that night's starting pitcher, Anderson and another guy were watching cartoons. Let's just say the other guys on the team noticed.

I haven't listened yet, but it already sounds incredibly. Glad you got the interview and can't wait to listen. Brian was always one of my favorite players, and his contributions to that 2008 team were incredible, if understated.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)
If anything, Brian Anderson had too many chances...including as a pitcher.

I strongly disagree.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 12:26 AM)
I haven't listened yet, but it already sounds incredibly. Glad you got the interview and can't wait to listen. Brian was always one of my favorite players, and his contributions to that 2008 team were incredible, if understated.

I strongly disagree.

Maybe compared to Avi, Beckham and Viciedo....but Borchard and Josh Fields might disagree.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 10:47 PM)
Mark Gonzales told me the story when the Sox were in Cleveland and instead of watching pregame video on that night's starting pitcher, Anderson and another guy were watching cartoons. Let's just say the other guys on the team noticed.

What did he do to inspire two bombs off Felix Hernandez in one game?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 05:58 AM)
What did he do to inspire two bombs off Felix Hernandez in one game?

Can't answer that....maybe luck?

Even a blind squirrel runs into an acorn every so often.

From what I've been told by people who should know, Anderson had as much talent as anyone but was immature (which he has admitted) and loved the night life.

Kenny Williams noticed that and also noticed that the guy who hung out the most with Anderson regarding said night life was Brandon McCarthy.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ May 3, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)
you can tell he was probably pretty immature back when he was a kid with the Sox.

I'll never forget his interview during the 2006 spring training report day when asked what he thought of Jim Thome....

"He's so nice. If I was that good at baseball, I'd be a huge dick."