Majority Whip Steve Scalise Shot at Charity Baseball Practice

caulfield12

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 11:52 PM)
Just make it so everyone can have access to a firearm.

However, if they fit the profile of someone that will use it in a mass shooting, then they have to pay more for the gun. But, they still have access to top of the line guns.

Is this sarcasm?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
Is this sarcasm?

Parodying Republican healthcare justification. No one is technically denied a gun/healthcare, but for some it's just pricier.

I think in this case, white guys with extremist beliefs should pay a premium.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
FBI says the gunman acted alone and didn't have a specific Congressman he was targeting.

https://apnews.com/82d6a333da66401aaa164485...p;utm_medium=AP

"Hodgkinson had a piece of paper with the names of six members of Congress written on it, Slater said, but the note lacked any further context and there was no evidence from his computer, phone or other belongings that indicated he planned to target those official"

maybe he just wanted to be penpals?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 02:04 PM)
"Hodgkinson had a piece of paper with the names of six members of Congress written on it, Slater said, but the note lacked any further context and there was no evidence from his computer, phone or other belongings that indicated he planned to target those official"

maybe he just wanted to be penpals?

Yeah that's really odd. How do they not think these things are connected? Unless maybe the names weren't at the game?

I also am puzzled that they said it was just a lone gunman and not terrorism. To me, this is the definition of terrorism. He sought to kill and maim in a spectacular fashion that would get huge attention and raise fears, against political entities. How is that not terrorism?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 10:28 AM)
Yeah that's really odd. How do they not think these things are connected? Unless maybe the names weren't at the game?

I also am puzzled that they said it was just a lone gunman and not terrorism. To me, this is the definition of terrorism. He sought to kill and maim in a spectacular fashion that would get huge attention and raise fears, against political entities. How is that not terrorism?

White people arent terrorists and we dont want to start a discussion on whether or not the man should have been legally able to obtain these weapons.

Well just chalk this one up to a lone gunman who we could have never stopped.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
White people arent terrorists and we dont want to start a discussion on whether or not the man should have been legally able to obtain these weapons.

Well this is false.

ter·ror·ist

ˈterərəst/Submit

noun

a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Terrorism doesn't have a race.

P.S. I'm not following the conversation so if you are being sarcastic, I apologize.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)
Well this is false.

ter·ror·ist

ˈterərəst/Submit

noun

a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Terrorism doesn't have a race.

I guess sarcasm still needs green ;)

Of course white people can be terrorists.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
I guess sarcasm still needs green ;)

Of course white people can be terrorists.

I edited my post just before you posted this.

I'm oblivious to a lot.

This is a great example of how to make statistics lie. How an incident like this gets filed totally influences how people in the future go back and count this as a statistic in the future. By not attaching the term "terrorism" to this, the government gets to keep citing stats that show terrorism isn't happening.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)

From what I've read, I don't think there was really anything in his past that anyone one could have predicted this. The only significant thing are his extreme political views but I don't think that would indicate this level of violence.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
This is a great example of how to make statistics lie. How an incident like this gets filed totally influences how people in the future go back and count this as a statistic in the future. By not attaching the term "terrorism" to this, the government gets to keep citing stats that show terrorism isn't happening.

good point. I think people are starting to think of terrorism as large group participation. Incidents like this and Timothy McVeigh qualify as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)

Is their proof there was some political motivation behind this guy? If not, and if he was just pissed about life and hated the GOP/Congressional Repubs, then i'd agree this is not a terrorist act.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)
From what I've read, I don't think there was really anything in his past that anyone one could have predicted this. The only significant thing are his extreme political views but I don't think that would indicate this level of violence.

Ptatc,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public...m=.0c9fd81bfe50

There was an incident where he was shooting his gun in his backyard that prompted the police to be called in Illinois.

March 24, when the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Department received a phone call reporting about 50 shots “in the pine trees” in a lightly populated area near Belleville.

In April 2006, police records show Hodgkinson went to a neighbor’s house looking for his daughter and “used bodily force to damage” a wooden door upstairs. Witnesses said Hodgkinson forced his way into the home looking for his teenage daughter and grabbed her by the hair when he found her upstairs, according to a police narrative on file with St. Clair County Sheriff’s Department.

His daughter escaped and got into the neighbor’s car, but Hodgkinson opened the door of the car, pulled out a pocket knife and cut off the seat belt she was wearing, records show. Hodgkinson’s wife joined him, struggling to pull out their daughter, as Hodgkinson punched the neighbor who was in the driver’s seat of the car in the face, witnesses told police.

Later, Joel Fernandez, the boyfriend of the woman who was punched, went to Hodgkinson’s home to confront him. He said Hodgkinson “walked outside with a shotgun and aimed it at Fernandez face,” a complaint states. Hodgkinson struck Fernandez on the side of his face with the wooden stock of the shotgun and fired off one round as Fernandez ran away.

Police arrested Hodgkinson and his wife and charged them with domestic battery and aggravated discharge of a firearm, according to a narrative obtained by The Washington Post. Police also recovered a 12-gauge shotgun. The county clerk’s online database shows the charges were later dismissed.

Now I am not sure at what point this type of behavior should restrict someone from owning a gun, but the fact that no one is even discussing that maybe this guy shouldnt have had a gun in the first place, to me is troubling.

I mean how many times does someone have to do something "dangerous" before action is taken?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
Question - do we consider Presidential assassins or shooters "terrorists"? Honestly asking.

Its actually impossible to say because "terrorism" is based on intent.

If the President was killed because he ran over someone's dog, that wouldnt be terrorism.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
Question - do we consider Presidential assassins or shooters "terrorists"? Honestly asking.

I think it depends on the intent, which I admit is maybe not the best way to base your classifications of crimes. But I wouldn't say that Hinckley was a terrorist. He was insane and committed an insane act. He wasn't attempting to topple democracy or make a grand political statement by the act. He was trying to impress a girl.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 05:49 PM)
Its actually impossible to say because "terrorism" is based on intent.

If the President was killed because he ran over someone's dog, that wouldnt be terrorism.

Yeah, if the attacker is trying to kill major figures to freak out the population, that would be terrorism.

John Hinkley Jr trying to get Jodie Foster's attention was not.

Is a guy shooting congressmen because he's personally really mad at their politics terrorism?

I have literally no idea where I stand on this, and am actually having a tough time defining for myself what I consider to be terrorism and what I don't.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
Is a guy shooting congressmen because he's personally really mad at their politics terrorism?

I have literally no idea where I stand on this, and am actually having a tough time defining for myself what I consider to be terrorism and what I don't.

Its just speculation because without something from the shooter himself we are forced to guess at their motivation.

My speculation is that it was terrorism. That he was specifically targeting Republican's to try and scare them into changing their political stances.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)
Is their proof there was some political motivation behind this guy? If not, and if he was just pissed about life and hated the GOP/Congressional Repubs, then i'd agree this is not a terrorist act.

Showing up at an event full of politicians and shooting it up, when he doesn't know any of them, to me, is pretty clearly terrorism. For the reasons I noted earlier.

But even if one is on the fence, I found it odd that law enforcement said - unprompted, from what I could tell in the video - that it wasn't terrorism.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 01:08 PM)
Showing up at an event full of politicians and shooting it up, when he doesn't know any of them, to me, is pretty clearly terrorism. For the reasons I noted earlier.

But even if one is on the fence, I found it odd that law enforcement said - unprompted, from what I could tell in the video - that it wasn't terrorism.

Agreed with the second sentence for sure.