Draft Day Three - discussion thread, Tracker in OP

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)
Bryce Montes de Oca is still on the board. Sox drafted him out of high school as their backup plan to Rodon. They've been keeping an eye on him, that I know. Might they draft him again? He is eligible. Had TJS, high risk profile, but lots of ceiling.

Washington just picked him

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)
Surprised by the lack of high schoolers overall. Thought they had stated a desire to take many. Smokescreen?

I think that they're securing the foundation of the system and adding some much needed depth with college guys. So that when they draft that raw prep player, it won't be such a blow if they don't work out.

Does that make sense?

Surprised by the lack of high schoolers overall. Thought they had stated a desire to take many. Smokescreen?

I think the comment from Hahn about "take fewer swing and miss" guys implies they wanted more advanced type bats. thus less HS and more college bats.

I thought what may have happened was their draft slot made it difficult to afford late round prep bats. Missing out on the top prep bats, then not being able to afford them alter, seems like they couldn't pass up talent they liked in college.

Thats what I thought for rounds 1-10, I am pretty surprised there are 0 prep picks so far.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 06:04 PM)
I think that they're securing the foundation of the system and adding some much needed depth with college guys. So that when they draft that raw prep player, it won't be such a blow if they don't work out.

Does that make sense?

I think this is dead on. This wasn't a draft where the club was looking to bolster its 1-5 prospect rankings. This draft looks like one that will be used to provide actual depth in the 10-15, 15-20 area going forward. Hahn has talked about this being priority. Rebuilding means you're going to get your fair share of very high picks in the future which will allow you to restock the top of the farm system. The goal of this draft seems to be to ensure that the club is developing real depth in the lower rungs.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)

Does that make sense?

It looks like they are trying to recreate the Moneyball A's. They are confident in their ability to develop pitchers, so they are creating a team of power hitting, OBP players with no positions to generate runs with no defense.

I guess this supplements the athletic players like Moncada and Robert

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 05:05 PM)
I think the comment from Hahn about "take fewer swing and miss" guys implies they wanted more advanced type bats. thus less HS and more college bats.

I love the approach of guys with high walk/k ratios and baseball players overall. I think all of the explanations make sense. I too am surprised of no LHP but I guess it may have fallen that way.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
MLB Draft Tracker @MLBDraftTracker

now

16 (477): @whitesox select Louisville CF Logan Taylor. mlb.com/draft/tracker/… #MLBDraft

Surprise surprise, another Louisville player lol

This dude is pretty old.

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
I think this is dead on. This wasn't a draft where the club was looking to bolster its 1-5 prospect rankings. This draft looks like one that will be used to provide actual depth in the 10-15, 15-20 area going forward. Hahn has talked about this being priority. Rebuilding means you're going to get your fair share of very high picks in the future which will allow you to restock the top of the farm system. The goal of this draft seems to be to ensure that the club is developing real depth in the lower rungs.

This can't be right. You're saying they are purposely not drafting the best players available, that could be ranked high, just to have depth?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
This can't be right. You're saying they are purposely not drafting the best players available, that could be ranked high, just to have depth?

I don't think rounds 3-10 feature a BPA that is so obvious. Likely have similar tiers and this draft have veered toward the college profile in those tiers due to either feeling more confident in projecting them or signability.

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:22 PM)
I never said that. They are selecting more advanced players that require less projection.

That makes sense. your quote about drafting players specifically for the 10-20 range instead of the 1-5 range range had me confused.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
I don't think rounds 3-10 feature a BPA that is so obvious. Likely have similar tiers and this draft have veered toward the college profile in those tiers due to either feeling more confident in projecting them or signability.

This is what they did more than anything. They went high floor instead of high ceiling.