Draft Day Three - discussion thread, Tracker in OP

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
I think this is dead on. This wasn't a draft where the club was looking to bolster its 1-5 prospect rankings. This draft looks like one that will be used to provide actual depth in the 10-15, 15-20 area going forward. Hahn has talked about this being priority. Rebuilding means you're going to get your fair share of very high picks in the future which will allow you to restock the top of the farm system. The goal of this draft seems to be to ensure that the club is developing real depth in the lower rungs.

Where are all these guys going to play though? Kannapolis is already stocked with these types (Booker, Roman, Remillard, Zavala, etc.) plus you have some legitimate prospects in Fisher & Adolfo. Even if all those guys move up (which they should), there should be an influx of young talent already in the system hitting full season ball next year with guys like Robert, Nunez, Curbelo, Hickman/Perez, Zangari, & perhaps other Latin guys. So long-story short, both high A & low A are going to be stocked with bodies as is. A chunk of these draftees are going to get stuck in short season ball and not get the development they need. Would have been great to add at least a couple high schoolers to spread out our talent throughout the system.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
Where are all these guys going to play though? Kannapolis is already stocked with these types (Booker, Roman, Remillard, Zavala, etc.) plus you have some legitimate prospects in Fisher & Adolfo. Even if all those guys move up (which they should), there should be an influx of young talent already in the system hitting full season ball next year with guys like Robert, Nunez, Curbelo, Hickman/Perez, Zangari, & perhaps other Latin guys. So long-story short, both high A & low A are going to be stocked with bodies as is. A chunk of these draftees are going to get stuck in short season ball and not get the development they need. Would have been great to add at least a couple high schoolers to spread out our talent throughout the system.

I do wish we had more prep bats, but great falls isn't that bad for this year to integrate them. A great many of these 11-40 guys will not make it past that.

W-S and Birmingham have few position players that are holding spots, and of the players you mentioned, I don't think sox would be too concerned pushing college draftee fringe players like Booker, Roman, Remillard, etc a little more aggressively to make sure the higher tracked players are getting the pace they need.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
I thought what may have happened was their draft slot made it difficult to afford late round prep bats. Missing out on the top prep bats, then not being able to afford them alter, seems like they couldn't pass up talent they liked in college.

Thats what I thought for rounds 1-10, I am pretty surprised there are 0 prep picks so far.

In the back of my mind I wonder if the Robert signing is forcing the team to try to save a few bucks in the draft by not picking the high dollar HS players, in general.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)

Almost all will be in Great Falls this season. The rest will sort itself out as some players play their way out of the system (many names have been thrown around of players who have been awful in the minors) and others play their way up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
In the back of my mind I wonder if the Robert signing is forcing the team to try to save a few bucks in the draft by not picking the high dollar HS players, in general.

That would be pretty disappointing. Talking like a million dollars or less in savings.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
I do wish we had more prep bats, but great falls isn't that bad for this year to integrate them. A great many of these 11-40 guys will not make it past that.

W-S and Birmingham have few position players that are holding spots, and of the players you mentioned, I don't think sox would be too concerned pushing college draftee fringe players like Booker, Roman, Remillard, etc a little more aggressively to make sure the higher tracked players are getting the pace they need.

If they're willing to be aggressive with some of these guys (including the ones in the system already), then I'm far less concerned. In fact, it's exactly what I want to see happen with the group in Kannapolis. It's just that Getz has been incredibly conservative so far. Maybe he's waiting until the all-star break to move guys up, but I hate seeing prospects in their 22-23 age season and up playing in low A, especially the fringey ones. And I definitely don't want to see any top 10 round college picks starting 2018 in Great Falls, which is my concern. 2017 is obviously fine, but you got to get most of these guys to high A pretty quickly if you want them facing age appropriate talent.

I'd have liked to see some LHP taken but it is what it is. If a couple of the RHP make it to the show, you can't really complain.

In terms of where to put these guys: they'll go to rookie ball like every other year. The advanced ones will move up to Kanny and as a result, some players are going to get promotions and some players are going to get real jobs.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)
Callis raves about White Sox draft This was just posted today, have yet to listen to it yet however.

I'm currently listening.

Says on Sheets that he was surprised that he was there for us at pick 47.

Says that we may have the best value pick out of round 7 for a guy that he had as a round 2 pick.

Thinks our second day over all was the second best draft, first being the Twins.

Not directly related to the draft but he also says Robert would have been considered for 1-1 and is comparable to Lewis.

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
I'd have liked to see some LHP taken but it is what it is. If a couple of the RHP make it to the show, you can't really complain.

In terms of where to put these guys: they'll go to rookie ball like every other year. The advanced ones will move up to Kanny and as a result, some players are going to get promotions and some players are going to get real jobs.

Yeah, I'm incredibly surprised by the lack of prep players. This has been something Hostetler has mentioned in interviews for months, and seemingly going out of his way to. Can't control what 29 other teams do, but he specifically mentioned last years draft as having a weakness of too many college players, but we essentially had the same draft if not lesser just due to curbelo being a better prospect.

I like all the players, and I'm sure that's why we have them over prep/juco guys, but very strange.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
If they're willing to be aggressive with some of these guys (including the ones in the system already), then I'm far less concerned. In fact, it's exactly what I want to see happen with the group in Kannapolis. It's just that Getz has been incredibly conservative so far. Maybe he's waiting until the all-star break to move guys up, but I hate seeing prospects in their 22-23 age season and up playing in low A, especially the fringey ones. And I definitely don't want to see any top 10 round college picks starting 2018 in Great Falls, which is my concern. 2017 is obviously fine, but you got to get most of these guys to high A pretty quickly if you want them facing age appropriate talent.

Those guys won't be in GF in 2018 unless they deserve it.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
I'm currently listening.

Says that we may have the best value pick out of round 7 for a guy that he had as a round 2 pick.

Thinks our second day over all was the second best draft, first being the Twins.

Not directly related to the draft but he also says Robert would have been considered for 1-1 and is comparable to Lewis.

The mlb pipeline crew has been way out ahead of everyone else I've seen in regard to Robert, so I'm not surprised.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
I'm currently listening.

Thanks for sharing! I'm excited to give it a listen here after the draft wraps up.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
This can't be right. You're saying they are purposely not drafting the best players available, that could be ranked high, just to have depth?

This is more or less the approach in the Day 3 under the new CBA. If you have enough saved from the first 2 days, you'd open the day with a couple of high profile high school picks and hope that you can use your savings to pry them away from college commitment. If you do not have significant savings, you are basically picking guys who will sign for $100K or less and hope that they bloom late. So no, there aren't usually many BPA picks in day 3.

I expect the Sox to start picking a few high schoolers starting in the mid 20 rounds. They would pick the higher profile high schoolers to generate goodwill for future drafts, and the lower profile kids (i.e. the token ACE picks) and hope that they will sign for whatever budget they have left until they hit the loss of pick penalty.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 01:00 PM)
This is more or less the approach in the Day 3 under the new CBA. If you have enough saved from the first 2 days, you'd open the day with a couple of high profile high school picks and hope that you can use your savings to pry them away from college commitment. If you do not have significant savings, you are basically picking guys who will sign for $100K or less and hope that they bloom late. So no, there aren't usually many BPA picks in day 3.

I expect the Sox to start picking a few high schoolers starting in the mid 20 rounds. They would pick the higher profile high schoolers to generate goodwill for future drafts, and the lower profile kids (i.e. the token ACE picks) and hope that they will sign for whatever budget they have left until they hit the loss of pick penalty.

This is right about the point the Sox usually take in a couple of HS lottery picks.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 01:00 PM)

Day 3, yes. It's always been for filler. But not rounds 1-10.