Draft Day Three - discussion thread, Tracker in OP

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
The MLB draft tracker is god awful. You go back to another round and after a few seconds it will switch back to the current round.

Everytime they add a new pick they shoot you back to the main screen. It's so stupid.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)
Have any teams drafted multiple players from the same team like the Sox this year? Saving on the travel scouting budget

Maybe the coaching philosophy fits in with the theme of this draft.

So I don't know who else is paying attention, but we are to round 30. We still have picked exactly 1 HS player. Not only that, but our last 11 straight picks are college seniors, or even a 5th year senior. Day 3 has given us exactly zero young lottery tickets. 12 of our 20 picks so far today are seniors.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)
So I don't know who else is paying attention, but we are to round 30. We still have picked exactly 1 HS player. Not only that, but our last 11 straight picks are college seniors, or even a 5th year senior. Day 3 has given us exactly zero young lottery tickets. 12 of our 20 picks so far today are seniors.
So weird. I wonder why? No worthwhile lottery tickets, or maybe monetary issues?

Yeah, definitely a low risk draft with lots of floors and some limited ceilings. I think the production is good and the results with a guy like Booker last season are promising. Its going to be really hard to get any HS kids to sign after round 10 anyway. I don't mind the approach this year, especially if you are looking at some younger guys in deals at the deadline. This at least provides some certainty with the upside you hope to get back in deadline deals.

I think the Sox felt they were going to have to go overslot for McClure and Skoug and had to save money for that?

I'm a little surprised we did not dive a bit more into the high school ranks, but at the stage we are in during the rebuild I understand stocking the minors with players a bit further along in their development.

The entire mlb draft is largely a crapshoot, especially beyond the first few rounds. The talent level thins out extremely quick, and teams get lucky and hit on some players, but miss on the vast majority.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 03:59 PM)
Who is Coleman? All I'm seeing is he's Vandy and from the ACE program

That's it , really. He is a 5'5 2b that is just kinda memorable on the Vandy team. I think he went to Simeon. I figured we'd take him because of ACE ties, but we missed out. NOOOOOOOOOO

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
That's it , really. He is a 5'5 2b that is just kinda memorable on the Vandy team. I think he went to Simeon. I figured we'd take him because of ACE ties, but we missed out. NOOOOOOOOOO

And I think we did pick him as a HS senior.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
Day 3, yes. It's always been for filler. But not rounds 1-10.

You also want to make sure you are picking guys who are signable within your budget in the first 10 rounds so you do not lose slot value. You really can't make too many high ceiling high school picks unless you have go underslot your first few picks.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)
You also want to make sure you are picking guys who are signable within your budget in the first 10 rounds so you do not lose slot value. You really can't make too many high ceiling high school picks unless you have go underslot your first few picks.

They picked none.

Callis put it Moncada, Robert, Collins, Burger, Basabe then Sheets in terms of ordering, is very high on Sheets and said that Basabe could be higher simply because he hasn't even played a game yet...and obviously doesn't have all the across the board physical tools other than power and that pretty swing.

Ranked Sox in vicinity of 5-10 overall based on all picks in first two days, mentioned we didn't have that extra high pick...very positive spin on that catcher we got in the 7th, thinks his defense will play as well as Burger at 3rd base.

Said he probably would have gone with Lewis over LUIS Robert due to more certainty about his swing/offensive potential, but that he would have for sure have gone 1-5 or no worse than 6 (over Beck). Clear top five.

Edited by caulfield12