2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

When Lebron's career is all said and done, he will probably break every NBA playoffs and Finals records. How did he get there? His team is a lock to make the Finals every year, there hasn't been a legit contender in the East since 2010. The East is seriously weak, two of their top 5 players just got traded to the West.

The Celtics are a joke, all the assets in the world and couldn't pull the trigger.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 30, 2017 -> 09:40 PM)
Same report says Boston offered 3 firsts (not Brooklyn or the LA/Kings pick), Crowder and another starter on draft night. That seems way better.

Heard something on the radio about Indiana not wanting to make Boston better? Not sure what the hell that's about. Hopefully it's bulls***. Anyway, how many roster spots are on the all-star teams again?

Steph, Klay, Draymond, KD, Kawhi, Westbrook, George, Butler, Lillard, CJ, Nurkic, Jokic, Harden, Paul, Blake, Davis, Cousins, Conley, Gobert, Hayward (if he stays), Wiggins, KAT, Booker, Gasol (Marc).

I think that's it. I realize some of the aforementioned have never made an all-star team but don't tell me they're not all capable. I think the snubs from this group could take the top guys from the east. You've got LeBron, Kyrie, Wall and Giannis. Which is sick. But after that? Damn. Let's hope Bucks/Sixers really take a step forward next year.

What do people think of Thunder / HOU / MIN chances?

Thunder now has PG + Westbrook

Houston with Chris Paul + Harden and good supporting cast

MIN with Butler, KAT, Dieng, Teague, Wiggins (my favorite team now!)

Also, the trade for PG seems so odd. Oladipio and Sabonis? I guess it's nice to have Oladipio secured while PG is just telling people he's going to LA after the year. Hm.

So Jrue freaking Holliday gets a 5/126 deal, could possibly going up to $150 with incentives. That only makes Butler's contract for the next two years look like a f***ing bargain. Still couldn't figure out how we didn't get a better deal than we got. I'm wondering if we could have gotten a better deal had we waited till free agency start, after the outrageous contracts are being hand out.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
So Jrue freaking Holliday gets a 5/126 deal, could possibly going up to $150 with incentives. That only makes Butler's contract for the next two years look like a f***ing bargain. Still couldn't figure out how we didn't get a better deal than we got. I'm wondering if we could have gotten a better deal had we waited till free agency start, after the outrageous contracts are being hand out.

And yet the Pelicans, with a full year of Anthony Freakin' Davis and Demarcus Cousins, still will not make the playoffs. Crazy.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 01:59 PM)
And yet the Pelicans, with a full year of Anthony Freakin' Davis and Demarcus Cousins, still will not make the playoffs. Crazy.

They would be a top 4 team in the East.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 06:04 PM)
I thought Gar said all the players wanted Thibs gone?

I still contend Thibs overworks his players, but Taj to Thibs makes sense. He's a much less important piece in Minnesota than he was in Chicago.

And Derrick going anywhere seems like a bad deal unless he rides the bench.

Edited by Sox-35th

I'm not sure Minnesota is a top 6 seed out West. Taj isn't really a great fit. They need shooting really bad. THey don't shoot the 3 well enough to be a serious factor out West with the way the game is played now. GSW/SA/Houston/OKC are probably all still better. Wolves in that next group though with a bunch of teams.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 07:04 PM)
I thought Gar said all the players wanted Thibs gone?

If I remember the split was

Pro-Thibs: Taj (because he's the consummate pro) and Rose

Anti-Thibs: Noah, Butler, Pau, Dunleavy

With Millsap and Teague moving West, that makes it 4 current/former all stars moving West, and 0 coming back East. The East is seriously terrible. The Bulls will have a tough time competing with the tankers next year.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
With Millsap and Teague moving West, that makes it 4 current/former all stars moving West, and 0 coming back East. The East is seriously terrible. The Bulls will have a tough time competing with the tankers next year.

To be fair, the top 4 east teams from last year are still the top 4 east teams going into next year. The Hawks, Bulls and Pacers were middling playoff teams even before they lost their guys. If the Bucks and especially the Sixers show improvement the conference won't be any worse than last year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
To be fair, the top 4 east teams from last year are still the top 4 east teams going into next year. The Hawks, Bulls and Pacers were middling playoff teams even before they lost their guys. If the Bucks and especially the Sixers show improvement the conference won't be any worse than last year.

There's a significant drop in talent after the Cavs, Celtics, Raptors, Wizards, and maybe the Bucks. We will see who suits up for the Sixers first. Outside of Celtics, literally no one is trying to get better in the East. And even though they tried, Celtics still have a long way to go from really challenging the Cavs. So you can mark down Lebron in the Finals again in 2018.

And the talent disparity for the two conferences is insane. If you list the top 10 players in the league, you have Lebron and maybe Giannis from the East, then who else?

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)
There's a significant drop in talent after the Cavs, Celtics, Raptors, Wizards, and maybe the Bucks. We will see who suits up for the Sixers first. Outside of Celtics, literally no one is trying to get better in the East. And even though they tried, Celtics still have a long way to go from really challenging the Cavs. So you can mark down Lebron in the Finals again in 2018.

And the talent disparity for the two conferences is insane. If you list the top 10 players in the league, you have Lebron and maybe Giannis from the East, then who else?

Cavs, Celtics, Raptors, Wizards, Bucks, and Heat are all likely playoff teams. I think Charlotte and Philadelphia are too. That leaves the rest. NY, Orlando, and Detroit are all better than the Bulls. Bulls will be battling Brooklyn, Indiana, and Atlanta for the basement.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 04:26 PM)
Cavs, Celtics, Raptors, Wizards, Bucks, and Heat are all likely playoff teams. I think Charlotte and Philadelphia are too. That leaves the rest. NY, Orlando, and Detroit are all better than the Bulls. Bulls will be battling Brooklyn, Indiana, and Atlanta for the basement.

Most of those teams aren't much better than the Bulls, so they could luck into a win on any given night. If they're in the West, Bulls would be a lock for the last place.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)

West >> East

No argument there. I just keep hearing that all these east guys going to the west makes it even easier for LeBron. The Pacers/Bulls/Hawks even with George, Teague, Butler and Milsap had no chance of beating Cleveland. We'll see what happens with Hayward. Word is he could make his decision later tonight.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 07:15 PM)
West >> East

No argument there. I just keep hearing that all these east guys going to the west makes it even easier for LeBron. The Pacers/Bulls/Hawks even with George, Teague, Butler and Milsap had no chance of beating Cleveland. We'll see what happens with Hayward. Word is he could make his decision later tonight.

Instead of Celtics signing Hayward and trading for Butler or George, those two went West instead. You're telling me that didn't just make Lebron's path to the Finals easier?

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 07:48 PM)
Instead of Celtics signing Hayward and trading for Butler or George, those two went West instead. You're telling me that didn't just make Lebron's path to the Finals easier?

Slightly. Not a lot easier. It's possible a couple of teams in the East are going to be a lot better this year (Philadelphia and Milwaukee come to mind).

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 08:12 PM)
Slightly. Not a lot easier. It's possible a couple of teams in the East are going to be a lot better this year (Philadelphia and Milwaukee come to mind).

Slightly? Stevens is a great coach. A lineup of Horford/Crowder/George/Hayward/Thomas with Smart dogging off the bench (and if they trade two future firsts and Brown for George they'd have Tatum too) is the biggest competition Lebron had since the 2010 Celtics. I actually like that team to beat the Cavs.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 09:31 PM)
Slightly? Stevens is a great coach. A lineup of Horford/Crowder/George/Hayward/Thomas with Smart dogging off the bench (and if they trade two future firsts and Brown for George they'd have Tatum too) is the biggest competition Lebron had since the 2010 Celtics. I actually like that team to beat the Cavs.

2011 Bulls?