2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 07:48 PM)
Instead of Celtics signing Hayward and trading for Butler or George, those two went West instead. You're telling me that didn't just make Lebron's path to the Finals easier?

No, I don't think it will be any easier than it's been the last few years. Just have to hope that certain teams improve, I guess. People keep talking about how stacked the west is. Guess what? Nobody is beating Golden State, either. Cleveland/GS part 4 is pretty much a lock.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 04:00 AM)
No, I don't think it will be any easier than it's been the last few years. Just have to hope that certain teams improve, I guess. People keep talking about how stacked the west is. Guess what? Nobody is beating Golden State, either. Cleveland/GS part 4 is pretty much a lock.

It's not easier than any of the past few years because it was a cakewalk in years past as well. There is no denying that the East has been incredibly weak the past 6-7 years outside of Lebron's team, and it certainly has not gotten better this offseason. '14 Pacers got by with a historically good defense, but they only had one star. You can't win in the playoffs without another guy who could get his own shot.

There are now 11 legit playoff caliber teams in the West versus maybe 5 in the East. If you were to make an all star team in the West, guys like Whiteside, Porzingis, and Jabari Parker will get in for the East, while guys like Butler or George might not even make the team in the West, Millsap would not even make the snub section. That's how much more talented the West is compared to East.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 08:31 PM)
Slightly? Stevens is a great coach. A lineup of Horford/Crowder/George/Hayward/Thomas with Smart dogging off the bench (and if they trade two future firsts and Brown for George they'd have Tatum too) is the biggest competition Lebron had since the 2010 Celtics. I actually like that team to beat the Cavs.

You're discounting teams with young stars getting better. That's a bad assumption.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 06:03 PM)
You're discounting teams with young stars getting better. That's a bad assumption.

Name those teams here and come back in 10 months and we will see if they were any threat to the Cavs.

Heyward to Boston. 4 years, 128 million.

Oh, and the player Thibs and company drafted with the Bulls pick (Patton) having surgery on his foot. Out indefinitely.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 4, 2017 -> 09:29 PM)
Heyward to Boston. 4 years, 128 million.

Oh, and the player Thibs and company drafted with the Bulls pick (Patton) having surgery on his foot. Out indefinitely.

Good move, Boston. Big setback for Utah. They were trending upward. Now they're basically a treadmill team.

Shouldn't it be a good thing for Utah? They clearly had no pathway to the NBA finals...so they should just tank anyway? No? I'm being semi-serious here but it seems like that statement would apply for Utah. In fact, shouldn't we ask the question why Utah didn't move him a year ago to maximize his value since they clearly had zero path to the finals?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 05:04 PM)
Shouldn't it be a good thing for Utah? They clearly had no pathway to the NBA finals...so they should just tank anyway? No? I'm being semi-serious here but it seems like that statement would apply for Utah. In fact, shouldn't we ask the question why Utah didn't move him a year ago to maximize his value since they clearly had zero path to the finals?

I think it's a huge setback for Utah. Keep in mind they only won 2 less games than Boston did in the regular season in a much more difficult conference. They actually won the same amount of games as Cleveland did, but Cleveland rested players obviously.

I'm a Jazz fan so I'm probably biased but I thought if Hayward resigned, they'd be about 3 years away from being elite in the West. Probably just a biased expectation. But man so many fans feel betrayed, I feel a sense of emptiness I guess but I was thinking he'd go to Boston anyway after he was snubbed from an all NBA team. Had he made All NBA 3rd team even, Utah would've been able to offer him a lot more money.

Some fans were even blaming Joseph Smith and Brigham Young for not being Catholic becauseapparently Hayward's wife in a devout catholic. Whatever the case, it's always going to be hard for Utah to ever become elite with the free agency trend we're in now. San Antonio, another small market team did accomplish it so there's always a chance I suppose.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 05:04 PM)

Hayward -26

Gobert - 24

Hood - 24

Lyles - 21

Exum -21

That's a pretty nice young core. A lot of their future potential depends on Lyles and Exum. But like I said, losing Heyward is a big setback. Far as tanking, they're probably a 38-42 win team even without Hayward. Quin Snyder looks to be a really nice coach. So they couldn't tank if they wanted to. Sucks to see the Jazz take such a hit considering Boston probably still can't see Cleveland anyway.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 06:44 PM)
I think it's a huge setback for Utah. Keep in mind they only won 2 less games than Boston did in the regular season in a much more difficult conference. They actually won the same amount of games as Cleveland did, but Cleveland rested players obviously.

I'm a Jazz fan so I'm probably biased but I thought if Hayward resigned, they'd be about 3 years away from being elite in the West. Probably just a biased expectation. But man so many fans feel betrayed, I feel a sense of emptiness I guess but I was thinking he'd go to Boston anyway after he was snubbed from an all NBA team. Had he made All NBA 3rd team even, Utah would've been able to offer him a lot more money.

Some fans were even blaming Joseph Smith and Brigham Young for not being Catholic becauseapparently Hayward's wife in a devout catholic. Whatever the case, it's always going to be hard for Utah to ever become elite with the free agency trend we're in now. San Antonio, another small market team did accomplish it so there's always a chance I suppose.

Please tell me this is just utah fans being delusional and emotional?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 07:23 PM)
Hayward -26

Gobert - 24

Hood - 24

Lyles - 21

Exum -21

That's a pretty nice young core. A lot of their future potential depends on Lyles and Exum. But like I said, losing Heyward is a big setback. Far as tanking, they're probably a 38-42 win team even without Hayward. Quin Snyder looks to be a really nice coach. So they couldn't tank if they wanted to. Sucks to see the Jazz take such a hit considering Boston probably still can't see Cleveland anyway.

They traded Lyles to move up to get Mitchell.

Doesn't materially change the point though. Hayward/Gobert is a pretty good core duo and you hope Hood/Exum/Mitchell stay healthy and develop. Favors and Burks are still both only 25 too, though I'm less optimistic about their health. Hell, even Rubio is only 26.

It's still way too early to worry about it, but Brooklyn, Sacramento, Atlanta and the Bulls all look like total trash to me and Phoenix, the Lakers and Orlando don't look much better. There are another half dozen teams at least that could be in that range with a key injury too.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 07:24 PM)
Please tell me this is just utah fans being delusional and emotional?

Lol it's probably sarcasm. I saw 2 of them talking about it. BTW Lyles is no longer on the Jazz. He fell out of grace with them towards the end of the year. Exum apparently has been wanting a better chance to showcase his skills, now he has the chance.

Some reports from Woj and ESPN they may get Crowder back in the sign and trade with Boston. I think Utah has a chance then to actually be better. Their young talent is in their prime years to step up and Crowder can replace a lot of Hayward's production. He's also younger and a lot cheaper with 3 years on his contract. Of course they'll be hard pressed anyways to win 50+ games again, just because the West got so much better. But anyways, I dont really see why they should rebuild yet if they can get Crowder.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

I've been reading about the possible sign and trade. The Jazz fans on "jazzfanz" think Hayward owes it to them to do a sign and trade. I don't quite believe that. It's a business and people chase rings.

I also believe getting Crowder back would be absolutely amazing for Utah. 14 points a game and superior defense to Hayward.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 09:03 PM)
Lol it's probably sarcasm. I saw 2 of them talking about it. BTW Lyles is no longer on the Jazz. He fell out of grace with them towards the end of the year. Exum apparently has been wanting a better chance to showcase his skills, now he has the chance.

Thanks. Didn't know he got traded to Denver.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
Why are the celtics S&Ting? Do they need the cap flexibility for something else? I don't see why you give up an asset for no apparent reason.

I believe they need to shed salary to make it work