2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 05:42 PM)
Just here to state f*** the Celtics. That team was/is loaded with players and picks and they can't pull any triggers. Jesus.

I findit kinda humorous how teams would be so psyched to get one of the celts picks in a rebuild to build their franchise around but think those same picks are totally useless to the celtics.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 10:24 AM)
I findit kinda humorous how teams would be so psyched to get one of the celts picks in a rebuild to build their franchise around but think those same picks are totally useless to the celtics.

They're not useless, but they're not as valuable. Celtics need veterans to round out their roster. They don't need prospects with upside. They're in win-now mode, not win 3 seasons from now.

I think Ainge is making a mistake not cashing in his assets. You don't have to empty the shelf, but it's head scratching that he wouldn't trade one of those lottery picks for a legit star. If you're a Celtics fan, wouldn't you rather have Jimmy Butler over Tatum? I would.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)
They're not useless, but they're not as valuable. Celtics need veterans to round out their roster. They don't need prospects with upside. They're in win-now mode, not win 3 seasons from now.

I think Ainge is making a mistake not cashing in his assets. You don't have to empty the shelf, but it's head scratching that he wouldn't trade one of those lottery picks for a legit star. If you're a Celtics fan, wouldn't you rather have Jimmy Butler over Tatum? I would.

I disagree. Celtics by no means are in win now. Thomas and Horford aren't declining soon and they by no means are irreplaceable. They just were a rebuilding team that got better sooner than they expected. I think in Ainge's mind, Celtics' window is whenever they materialize their picks and Lebron starts to decline.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
I disagree. Celtics by no means are in win now. Thomas and Horford aren't declining soon and they by no means are irreplaceable. They just were a rebuilding team that got better sooner than they expected. I think in Ainge's mind, Celtics' window is whenever they materialize their picks and Lebron starts to decline.

Heyward just signed a 4 year deal and Horford has 3 left. Horford's already 31. Their window is within the next 2 years if those guys and Thomas are their big three. Brown is going into his second year and Tatum will be going into their first. Even if both guys end up being all-star caliber, it's going to be 3-4 seasons before they get there.

If they aren't in win-now mode, then I'm not sure what Ainge is doing. It makes no sense spending money on Horford, Heyward and presumably Thomas if they are planning to wait another 2-3 seasons to really go for it.

It's just mind boggling how they would take Horford and Heyward, but keep all the picks/players. They have maybe the most deep team in the league, but with no true star power how the hell are they going to beat Cavs/Warriors.

It's just annoying to me because I like their roster set up, I love a well balanced roster with great players all over, but how they could not pick out George/Butler or both is beyond me!

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
Heyward just signed a 4 year deal and Horford has 3 left. Horford's already 31. Their window is within the next 2 years if those guys and Thomas are their big three. Brown is going into his second year and Tatum will be going into their first. Even if both guys end up being all-star caliber, it's going to be 3-4 seasons before they get there.

If they aren't in win-now mode, then I'm not sure what Ainge is doing. It makes no sense spending money on Horford, Heyward and presumably Thomas if they are planning to wait another 2-3 seasons to really go for it.

I don't disagree that they missed a golden opportunity with PG and Butler. Heck I even posted about it last week. It's just that they have so many young assets and picks stockpiled that they will likely be good for a long time.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)
I don't disagree that they missed a golden opportunity with PG and Butler. Heck I even posted about it last week. It's just that they have so many young assets and picks stockpiled that they will likely be good for a long time.

But it's not baseball, windows are so much shorter in the NBA unless you're the Spurs or have Lebron. You basically have to wait out the current crop of prime superstars that all are willing to take less money to play with their buddies and hope the next crop isn't like that.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 03:41 PM)
But it's not baseball, windows are so much shorter in the NBA unless you're the Spurs or have Lebron. You basically have to wait out the current crop of prime superstars that all are willing to take less money to play with their buddies and hope the next crop isn't like that.

Why does it matter? It's not like anyone would know if and where the free agents will join up next. We're just speculating if a team would be good in the future. What if the Celtics become like the Warriors, growing superstars through draft behind great coaching system, and a superstar actually flees his home team and join up with them. Celtics themselves could be a good landing spot for ring chasers in a few years.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)
Why does it matter? It's not like anyone would know if and where the free agents will join up next. We're just speculating if a team would be good in the future. What if the Celtics become like the Warriors, growing superstars through draft behind great coaching system, and a superstar actually flees his home team and join up with them. Celtics themselves could be a good landing spot for ring chasers in a few years.

Gambling on the odds that you're going to luck into 3 drafted superstars in a 4 year period + have a HoFer sign a below market value contract with you is a ballsy bet.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 05:16 PM)
Gambling on the odds that you're going to luck into 3 drafted superstars in a 4 year period + have a HoFer sign a below market value contract with you is a ballsy bet.

Yea but the alternative sucks. Never winning it all. Might as well try to become the eastern warriors and wait it out.

Welp...I truly do think the Bulls made the wrong move. Kyrie wants out of Cleveland...would have been a great piece to put alongside Jimmy. Hopefully they hit the lottery on the draft, etc, otherwise we are going to look at a long run of sucking. Jimmy made it clear on so many occassions how committed he was to Chicago and to bringing other stars to Chicago. It would have happened.