2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

I don't think I've seen a team literally throw a game like the Mavs just did tonight. They played 5 players in the 4th quarter who were undrafted, 4 of them were in the G league majority of the season because they were "playing too good". Silver better not say anything about the Bulls (or any of the other teams) after that one. Yikes.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 03:10 PM)
I think they should let the team with the worst record have the #1 pick but 14th worst should pick 2nd, 2nd worst should pick 3rd, 13th worst should pick 4th etc. This would stop some of it IMO.

Not bad. Maybe just change the rules of basketball to the point where you don’t need a superstar or good shooters to win.

Edited by Jerksticks

I really hope bulls hit big in the draft

I will probably repeat this 1000x, but this tanking is so much worse than baseballs. This year was so much worse than early 2000 bulls. But...they have to do it.

I don't know what they do. The round robin tourney for non playoff teams i think is way better than the lottery.

As the NBA should now recognize, the marginal improvement of odds to potentially land a franchise changing player is worth basically infinite amounts of effort to acquire vs just trying to build through a different type of luck/chance (building best team possible and landing a superstar in position 10-25)

Until they change the process of acquiring best odds of a high draft pick to discourage losing, this will happen.

There is no league where relegation makes more sense than the NBA.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 01:05 PM)
The NBA is a complete and utter laughing stock. I'd rather tell people that I am a WWE fan (which I am) compared to a NBA fan. This league is a joke!

Glad to hear. Will keep that in mind

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 01:15 PM)
Glad to hear. Will keep that in mind

Seriously tho, how can management not fix this glaring issue that has ruined the league? Some of the suggestions in this thread are terrible, but it can't be that difficult to not incentivize trying to be the #1 loser...

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 01:56 PM)
Seriously tho, how can management not fix this glaring issue that has ruined the league? Some of the suggestions in this thread are terrible, but it can't be that difficult to not incentivize trying to be the #1 loser...

Except it's happening in every league I pay attention to (I don't know the NFL draft).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 02:01 PM)
Except it's happening in every league I pay attention to (I don't know the NFL draft).

MLB is pretty good about it, yeh there's more teams turning to prospect mode, but not at the extent of resting their star players on purpose.

NHL I admitedly do not know about.

NFL I don't see a problem of resting players ... every season most teams have a chance to surprise and compete.

NBA there is 1-3 teams that have a chance and the rest of the field tanks and an incredible amount of star players rest for no reason other than to tank. Teams actively try to lose (This doesn't happen in other sports) where they punish players for playing good.

The whole NBA is a joke from the top down. I feel sorry for pure NBA fans, but no one should be touching this product until they make serious changes.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 02:12 PM)
MLB is pretty good about it, yeh there's more teams turning to prospect mode, but not at the extent of resting their star players on purpose.

NHL I admitedly do not know about.

NFL I don't see a problem of resting players ... every season most teams have a chance to surprise and compete.

NBA there is 1-3 teams that have a chance and the rest of the field tanks and an incredible amount of star players rest for no reason other than to tank. Teams actively try to lose (This doesn't happen in other sports) where they punish players for playing good.

The whole NBA is a joke from the top down. I feel sorry for pure NBA fans, but no one should be touching this product until they make serious changes.

What's worse, resting star players on purpose or what the Marlins did this offseason?

Anyone remember the "Suck for Luck" campaign in the NFL? And now teams are getting a lot better at hording draft picks a-la the Browns and Bills...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 02:01 PM)

If middling free agents continue to get the contracts in the future they received this winter, look for some sort of lottery in the MLB draft.

The lottery was brought into the NBA to discourage tanking. The reality is there have been very few teams that have had a legit shot at winning an NBA title any particular year since at least the 70s, but tanking has taken on a new level. So,etching needs to be done. It is one thing to have a roster that cannot win games, it’s another to manipulate it so it won’t. It is getting to the point where penalties should occur. I get rebuilding, and not contending, but max effort should be expected and a given with players, coaches, and from office personnel on a daily basis. Trying to lose should not be rewarded. Something needs to change.

The NBA has made a ton of money with very few teams having a chance, but the amount of teams trying to lose is growing, and eventually will take its toll. It doesn’t always just kill the interest of the fans of the tanking teams, if you are a fan of a stacked team, eventually playing cupcake after cupcake is going to reduce your interest.

The other thing is, fanbases of all sports see how some teams have prospered from tanking, so they are all in when their team does it. The problem is the volume of teams doing it now pretty much guarantees a few of them are going to fail and be stuck in a no win situation for quite a while. That will eventually curb some fanbases?€™ appetites for total tankage.

Edited by Dick Allen

Only the Bulls.. Only hope now is Mavs somehow beat Wolves (highly unlikely) to have a chance of at least the #5 spot. Otherwise, best I see them doing is #6 (barring lottery odds of course).

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 08:50 PM)
Only the Bulls.. Only hope now is Mavs somehow beat Wolves (highly unlikely) to have a chance of at least the #5 spot. Otherwise, best I see them doing is #6 (barring lottery odds of course).

All things considered, I'd be pretty happy with 6. I think we'll get an exciting player there.

The Bulls are embracing a full tank mode. I expect to see Laurie come down with something very shortly as well.

The Loop Sports? @TheLoop_Sports Apr 2 Bulls: LaVine, Dunn Shut Down for the Season with Nagging Injuries #Bulls #NBANBA_2017_18_NBA.png https://theloopsports.com/2018/04/02/bulls-lavine-and-dunn-shut-down-for-the-season/ …://https://theloopsports.com/2018/04/0...the-season/ …

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 01:57 PM)
I don't know that we will get 6. Need to pretty much lose out. I'm hoping we get lucky and Michael Porter magically falls to us and is magically healthy and becomes amazing or that we get lucky with the lottery odds.

At 6 you should be able to get Bamba or Porter. I''d be happy with either - just gotta get there.

If Ayton, Doncic, Porter, Bagley, Bamba and Jackson are gone, go with Mikal and roll the dice on a Mitchell Robinson type with the Pels pick.