Tim Anderson

Knackattack

Tim Anderson was worth 2.2 fWAR last year in 2/3 of a season. He's at -.2 fWAR this year. He's in his age 23 season and has been playing baseball full time for 4 years.

Ups and downs are to be expected. It's a rebuilding year. Let him take his lumps. It's not like these errors are costing the Sox a chance at the pennant.

This team has much bigger problems going forward than SS. Finding a rotation and outfield are among them.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
Tim Anderson was worth 2.2 fWAR last year in 2/3 of a season. He's at -.2 fWAR this year. He's in his age 23 season and has been playing baseball full time for 4 years.

Ups and downs are to be expected. It's a rebuilding year. Let him take his lumps. It's not like these errors are costing the Sox a chance at the pennant.

This team has much bigger problems going forward than SS. Finding a rotation and outfield are among them.

This is the best post in the thread.

I think we should worry about something else than about Tim Anderson and his abilities. I find it odd that this is even an issue since many folks were pushing for him to be brought up so soon in his career. Imagine what things would liijvluke if we had gone with the complete tear down of the roster and fill it with our minor league prospects

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
I think we should worry about something else than about Tim Anderson and his abilities. I find it odd that this is even an issue since many folks were pushing for him to be brought up so soon in his career. Imagine what things would liijvluke if we had gone with the complete tear down of the roster and fill it with our minor league prospects

covfefe?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
He'll improve. I've always felt he's going to be more of a league average player with a few above average seasons at peak rather than any kind of star. I don't see any reason to be down on him based on this year, though.

His comp remains Alexei 100%. We are basically watching a 23 year old Alexei imo. Rough around the edges, can't walk for s***, but solid raw power and incredible defensive tools.

Anybody that says they don't "remember" TAs defense last year is crazy. He made so many crazy plays ranging to his right, including that one incredible play he made on the popup in shallow left where he outran everybody. He was +11 runs by Fangraphs metric for a reason.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
His comp remains Alexei 100%. We are basically watching a 23 year old Alexei imo. Rough around the edges, can't walk for s***, but solid raw power and incredible defensive tools.

Anybody that says they don't "remember" TAs defense last year is crazy. He made so many crazy plays ranging to his right, including that one incredible play he made on the popup in shallow left where he outran everybody. He was +11 runs by Fangraphs metric for a reason.

He has a whole lot of Alexei in him, both in the field and at the plate.

I've never been sold on Anderson to be a first division starter, seemed to struggle defensively all through the minors and his incapability of taking a walk is probably going to hold him back from ever being a solid player. When Anderson was in the minors there was constantly talk of moving him to CF due to his speed and his difficulties at SS. Last year he played beyond what anyone expected but has seemingly regressed to the mean.

The issue for the Sox is that there is nothing in the system to push Anderson out of SS.

I am truly saddened that Greg's "Convert to TA to being a catcher so he can be a Sal Perez style star with low OBP and 70 RBIs" post was allowed to be deleted without notice. In light of that situation, I'm more concerned about SoxTalk than I am about Tim.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 03:30 PM)
I am truly saddened that Greg's "Convert to TA to being a catcher so he can be a Sal Perez style star with low OBP and 70 RBIs" post was allowed to be deleted without notice. In light of that situation, I'm more concerned about SoxTalk than I am about Tim.

My POTY nomination.

Where's Balta when you need him?

It's funny those of us complaining for the last five years (or more) are relatively happy with the direction of things...Southsider2k5 is now in the reverse Balta role, which is a more sophisticated and nuanced yet faintly critical/pessimistic take on the organization's foibles.

What Greg is trying to accomplish, have no idea. Thad Bosley has been marginalized to the point where even he got tired of writing about 35+ years of failure by the JR regime when everyone's trying to be optimistic.

Southsider's right about one thing, though....if this all flops, the Sox and their fans are facing 40 days in the desert. Luckily, the Indians don't have the financial wherewithal to sustain their window out over 3-4 more years and beyond like the Cubs. Eventually the White Sox have to break through...at that time, the Twins should be our main competition (yet again).

Edited by caulfield12

I would like to figure out what's going on with his defense, because last year he really was good. Maybe this or that stat overrated him, but he was at minimum a major league average SS defensively last year. But now he has a serious error problem—maybe it's all in his head.

The offense it makes much more sense to be patient with. He's now played more in the MLB than any other single level. We've never let him really grow within a level and he hasn't really had to deal with a scouting report being out on him and executed well.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 09:30 PM)

I meant the post. Don't you picture TA behind the plate? Pretty tall, good arm. Decent pop in the bat. Low BA. Never walk. And in the post I asked if he had ANY background as a catcher. I think he projects offensively as a slightly better than average catcher.

Are the mods arguing a .250 ceiling, about a .290 on base ceiling, and good 20 homer power, 70 ribbies?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)

People seem to think that baseball is a linear progression. You start at point X and steadily climb. There is a reason people refer to a Sophomore slump. Not that is always happens but there is a learning curve for the league. They figured out what he did well last year and they are exploiting his weaknesses this year. He needs to learn to adjust. It's a process. look no further than Schwarber.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 05:34 PM)
I meant the post. Don't you picture TA behind the plate? Pretty tall, good arm. Decent pop in the bat. Low BA. Never walk. And in the post I asked if he had ANY background as a catcher. I think he projects offensively as a slightly better than average catcher.

Are the mods arguing a .250 ceiling, about a .290 on base ceiling, and good 20 homer power, 70 ribbies?

no

Edited by soxfan49

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
I honk this thread is ridiculous. As someone said, you're worried about the team's young shortstop, who didn't start playing baseball till he was 17/18 in the first year of a rebuild?

Problem is that he is basically below average in all three important facets of hitting (contact, plate discipline and power). Not saying he cant fix that but that is a lot to fix. Still of course there are other things to worry about right now of course.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 05:34 PM)

How can a mod sit here and not deem this trolling? No one in their right mind could picture Tim Anderson as a f***ing catcher. It's beyond laughable.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 06:50 AM)
How can a mod sit here and not deem this trolling? No one in their right mind could picture Tim Anderson as a f***ing catcher. It's beyond laughable.

I deem it trolling.

Now what?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 07:29 PM)
People seem to think that baseball is a linear progression. You start at point X and steadily climb. There is a reason people refer to a Sophomore slump. Not that is always happens but there is a learning curve for the league. They figured out what he did well last year and they are exploiting his weaknesses this year. He needs to learn to adjust. It's a process. look no further than Schwarber.

Most of his defensive problems are just a lack of fundamental preparation, especially to his left where he rounds way too many balls off instead of putting the bill of his cap over his bellybutton and the ball. That's very correctable with time and experience.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)

He right now is making errors at a record setting rate at SS. His OBP projects to be a disaster during his career. However he has power. Is my projection of .260 (.290 OBP) 17-20 HRs, 70-75 RBIs off base too? I asked if he has any experience at catcher. I think he'd be great there. Simple question but instead of answering it I get the trolling insult. Thanks.

Many of you are talking outfield. Why isn't that trolling??? It's obvious RIGHT NOW he's a SS for better or worse so why isn't outfield talk trolling?

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 02:50 PM)
I deem it trolling.

Now what?

You guys need professional help. Trolling? What an insult. Seriously. I'm a fricking fan against the rebuild, so shoot me.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 05:46 PM)
Good question. I didn't know this was a fishing site LOL. I am more concerned about the spell check police out there. Ban them all!

Spell check police are annoying.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 12:13 PM)
He right now is making errors at a record setting rate at SS. His OBP projects to be a disaster during his career. However he has power. Is my projection of .260 (.290 OBP) 17-20 HRs, 70-75 RBIs off base too? I asked if he has any experience at catcher. I think he'd be great there. Many of you are talking outfield. Why isn't that trolling??? It's obvious RIGHT NOW he's a SS for better or worse so why isn't outfield talk trolling?

You guys need professional help. Trolling? What an insult. Seriously. I'm a fricking fan against the rebuild, so shoot me.

Spell check police are annoying.

Switching a guy to OF =/= switching a guy to catcher.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 06:14 PM)
Switching a guy to OF =/= switching a guy to catcher.

At least admit his projected numbers are acceptable at catcher, not many other places. With these numbers, he'd be a pretty average (at best) outfielder.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 23, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
Most of his defensive problems are just a lack of fundamental preparation, especially to his left where he rounds way too many balls off instead of putting the bill of his cap over his bellybutton and the ball. That's very correctable with time and experience.
typical KW draft pick.great athlete,looks fab in the uniform.

Only problem is he's not a baseball player.