Tim Anderson

Knackattack

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
I'll only add that Alexei was criminally underrated by Sox fans. We'll be extremely lucky if Anderson is as good.

Alexei was a really good player who wouldn't take a walk. His base stealing improved with time

and his power was pretty good for a shortstop. I really hope Anderson improves enough to be as good

as him. When TA was in the minors and first up with the WS I had hope for an improving eye with more

walks. Now I don't think he will be better than AR and would gladly settle for a similar player.

P.S. I hope like hell I am wrong.

Edited by zisk

QUOTE (zisk @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 07:59 AM)
Alexei was a really good player who wouldn't take a walk. His base stealing improved with time

and his power was pretty good for a shortstop. I really hope Anderson improves enough to be as good

as him. When TA was in the minors and first up with the WS I had hope for an improving eye with more

walks. Now I don't think he will be better than AR and would gladly settle for a similar player.

P.S. I hope like hell I am wrong.

TA makes Alexei look like Barry Bonds in the walk department.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 10:41 PM)
Also appears he now has no confidence in his ability to steal. I still can't believe they haven't moved him closer to the plate.

I still can't believe they haven't moved him behind the plate

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jun 29, 2017 -> 03:46 AM)
I still can't believe they haven't moved him behind the plate

Defensively he's a disaster at ss. I'd send him down, teach him to take pitches and see if he can become a catcher. I'd take .260, 19 homers, 79 ribbies which appear to be his ceilings, at the catcher position.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 11:10 PM)
Defensively he's a disaster at ss. I'd send him down, teach him to take pitches and see if he can become a catcher. I'd take .260, 19 homers, 79 ribbies which appear to be his ceilings, at the catcher position.

This has to be trolling right? The idea that anyone can just become a catcher and be smart enough baseball wise to do so.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
I already called him out for this. If that ain't trolling, then god help us all...

All I'm saying is his numbers project well as a catcher, really no where else at this time. He also has a good arm. Do you guys deny all these observations? If he keeps this progression up, he'll be a tad worse than Lexi's career, which I guess is still OK. Lexi was reliable. If Moncada and Anderson are as bad defensively as they appear to be, the Sox could be weak up the middle defensively when they have an MLB big-league roster again.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
All I'm saying is his numbers project well as a catcher, really no where else at this time. He also has a good arm. Do you guys deny all these observations? If he keeps this progression up, he'll be a tad worse than Lexi's career, which I guess is still OK. Lexi was reliable. If Moncada and Anderson are as bad defensively as they appear to be, the Sox could be weak up the middle defensively when they have an MLB big-league roster again.

The numbers you project here?:

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 11:10 PM)

I would take that production at a few places other spots as well. Or somewhere where it makes sense for him: CF.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)

It just tears at you.

"I'm definitely not where I want to be," Anderson said. "Feel like I'm a whole lot better than what I've been playing like. Not to put it on anything, but it has been tough for me. I've kind of been dragging things off the field on the field with me. I've been showing frustration. It has been up and down. This has been one of the toughest times of my life. But I feel like I'm learning and getting better each and every day."

Teammate Todd Frazier sees the difference. He's been next to Anderson's side on the field since he arrived in the majors last June. The veteran third baseman has seen Anderson's frustration surface more often than it did during his carefree 2016 rookie season. Frazier isn't surprised his young teammate has struggled given what he's experienced.

"Once you play baseball and you get up here, you understand you've got to try and separate the two, which is very hard to do," Frazier said. "You can have family problems, death in the family, a little argument, anything. It's very tough to separate. But you get with your second family and you have to find a way to separate. For him, it's been hard. I can see it. I can see it in his face and the way he goes about himself. He works hard. But for some it's just a little harder to get by during the days and I think he's still trying to figure it out."

“It’s been one of the toughest times in my career having not really struggled through my career and losing someone close to me,” Anderson said. “It has been a learning experience and I feel that God hasn’t brought me this far to leave me. It definitely has been something learning experiences and some eye-opening things.

“On the field things is just really humbling. You’re going to go through things and it has really set me up to be great.

“I’m learning and dealing with it and hopefully it’s going to help me in the long run.”

• 2 weeks later...

After his play this week I think he should be sent down for some time.

The not hustling, the no approach at bats, the baserunning and failure to cover on defense. Get him out of spotlight and time to clear his head and recalibrate. Phantom DL trip maybe.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 22, 2017 -> 07:51 AM)
After his play this week I think he should be sent down for some time.

The not hustling, the no approach at bats, the baserunning and failure to cover on defense. Get him out of spotlight and time to clear his head and recalibrate. Phantom DL trip maybe.

Dan Hayes has been very vocally against this. Seems to think he's been very affected by the stuff off the field.

Not saying I disagree, but my guess is he knows things we don't.

This stuff can absolutely affect players. Watched it last season in the NFL with a WR who's close friend died and he had issues. These guys are human. Just has to work through it and get to the off-season so he can get his mind in the right direction. Timmy will be fine. Sometimes you take a step back to take two steps forward.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 22, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
This stuff can absolutely affect players. Watched it last season in the NFL with a WR who's close friend died and he had issues. These guys are human. Just has to work through it and get to the off-season so he can get his mind in the right direction. Timmy will be fine. Sometimes you take a step back to take two steps forward.

Not necessarily. If the issue is outside of baseball, the offseason may be a worse scenario. The structured requirements of in-season, especially travel may force him at times to forget about the issues. But once that structure goes away in the off-season he may loose an outlet for his frustration and be more immersed in the problem. Hopefully he is getting some professional help to face his adversity.

If they were trying to win the decision to demote him would be easy, but seeing as they are actively losing games it's probably best to not completely shred what's left of his confidence by sending him down.

Life is just better at the ML level. Nice hotels, chartered flights, better food and there's just the prestige of being a major leaguer. I don't think sending him to AAA will improve anything mentally for him.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 22, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
Not necessarily. If the issue is outside of baseball, the offseason may be a worse scenario. The structured requirements of in-season, especially travel may force him at times to forget about the issues. But once that structure goes away in the off-season he may loose an outlet for his frustration and be more immersed in the problem. Hopefully he is getting some professional help to face his adversity.

Or he'll have the time he needs to cope. Alexei also had a down year when Minnie passed away IIRC.