Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
I feel like Brinson would all but be off the table.

Brewers get: Jose Quintana

White Sox get: Corey Ray, Brett Phillips, Trent Clark and Monte Harrison.

Yes please.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
What about a left-handed hitting Phillips? Braun is there through 2020 and Domingo Santana is going to hold down a spot. Plus, if they deal for Q and then next year guys on the team regress and they look to be an under .500 team, they have pieces to deal at the deadline, including Q, Braun, Thames etc. It's basically the Pirates scenario we all discussed in the off-season.

I'm all for Phillips but he'd have to be the third piece in a deal for Q, criminally underrated

Brinson, Ortiz, Phillips gets it done for me, maybe a flier

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
I'm all for Phillips but he'd have to be the third piece in a deal for Q, criminally underrated

Brinson, Ortiz, Phillips gets it done for me, maybe a flier

Brinson, Ortiz and Phillips would be a strong return in my opinion

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
Brinson, Ortiz and Phillips would be a strong return in my opinion

Yeah it would. If the Sox received Brinson and Phillips in the return I would fudge my huggies with delight. Those two outfielders would give the Sox two legit AAA outfielders to eventually call up instead of the rotating clown circus of 4A players we've been seeing.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
Does that writer think Quintana will come free?

Brewers can pull off a deal for Q without gutting their farm/youth. They can trade a few of their top guys and still look great long-term.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 12:07 PM)
Brewers can pull off a deal for Q without gutting their farm/youth. They can trade a few of their top guys and still look great long-term.

Brinson is likely considered untouchable, and the Brewers are likely looking to see if the Sox/A's will accept some of their second tier prospects in exchange for Gray/Quintana (Sox/A's will not)

QUOTE (brett05 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
Pre-rebuild, the Sox would be all over Ray. Not now. The guy whiffs way, way, way too much. If Brinson isn't in the deal, the Brewers only serve to drive the price up on Q with no shot at all of landing him.

thats my take on this situation as well. With trading Q they have carte blanche to target not only top prospects but ones that fit their vision of the next competitive sox team; I would imagine more great plate discipline, above average power and average strike outs that play up the middle.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 02:04 PM)
Brinson is likely considered untouchable, and the Brewers are likely looking to see if the Sox/A's will accept some of their second tier prospects in exchange for Gray/Quintana (Sox/A's will not)

I don't know that a deal gets done without Brinson unless they want to send us like 5 guys.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)
I don't know that a deal gets done without Brinson unless they want to send us like 5 guys.

Exactly. Ray, Diaz, Clark, Hader and Ortiz probably does it. But that is literally 2-6.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 02:37 PM)
Exactly. Ray, Diaz, Clark, Hader and Ortiz probably does it. But that is literally 2-6.

The Brewers are not trading their entire farm system to us like that. The White Sox would be crazy to not accept Ray + Diaz + Clark + Hader + Ortiz due to the sheer volume alone.

I do not love Ray as a headliner, but if needed I would need the rest of the package to be strong.

Ray + Ortiz + Phillips + Burnes would have me thinking for sure

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 02:37 PM)

People tend to propose massive depth packages to compensate for a lack of a big headliner or "untouchable" (as an aside, I think that term is waaay overused, especially when it comes for non-rentals like Quintana). I think the opposite is more likely — that a team will include a big shot headliner prospect and then skimp on the second and third pieces. That way, the team really only loses one significant piece (although it's a big one), and their system isn't gutted.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)
The Brewers are not trading their entire farm system to us like that. The White Sox would be crazy to not accept Ray + Diaz + Clark + Hader + Ortiz due to the sheer volume alone.

I do not love Ray as a headliner, but if needed I would need the rest of the package to be strong.

I totally agree with your first sentence. I was mainly just spitballing that they could get it done without Brinson. I'd be pretty lukewam on a Ray + Ortiz + Phillips package. Burns does next to nothing for me. If were taking lottery tickets, at this point it should be guys that have a chance to impact the game everyday in the field.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
People tend to propose massive depth packages to compensate for a lack of a big headliner or "untouchable" (as an aside, I think that term is waaay overused, especially when it comes for non-rentals like Quintana). I think the opposite is more likely — that a team will include a big shot headliner prospect and then skimp on the second and third pieces. That way, the team really only loses one significant piece (although it's a big one), and their system isn't gutted.

Agreed. As mentioned, I wasn't really proposing that package. Just stating it could get done without Brinson.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)

If you aren't getting a top end guy, or a big depth package of B types, then a deal should be pretty straight forward for another team to beat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)
If you aren't getting a top end guy, or a big depth package of B types, then a deal should be pretty straight forward for another team to beat.

I think the Braves could put together an excellent package considering how stupidly deep their farm system is.

Braves could offer something along the lines of:

Pick one: Albies, Acuna or Maitan

Pick one: Newcomb, Allard, Soroka, Anderson, Gohara, Wright

Pick one/two: Demeritte, Fried, Toussaint, Riley, Wentz, Sims, Pache, Minter, Jackson, Wilson, Muller, Morris

I envy the depth that they have across the board.

Some combination of 3-4 prospects from the above could serve as a framework for a deal. For example: Albies + Soroka + Pache + Minter/Morris? A costly deal? Yes, but the Braves actually have so much depth that they could afford it.

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 04:23 PM)
I think the Braves could put together an excellent package considering how stupidly deep their farm system is.

Braves could offer something along the lines of:

Pick one: Albies, Acuna or Maitan

Pick one: Newcomb, Allard, Soroka, Anderson, Gohara, Wright

Pick one/two: Demeritte, Fried, Toussaint, Riley, Wentz, Sims, Pache, Minter, Jackson, Wilson, Muller, Morris

I envy the depth that they have across the board.

Some combination of 3-4 prospects from the above could serve as a framework for a deal. For example: Albies + Soroka + Pache + Minter/Morris? A costly deal? Yes, but the Braves actually have so much depth that they could afford it.

The Atlanta GM is smarter than you think he is.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 04:36 PM)
The Atlanta GM is smarter than you think he is.

At some point the Braves need to acquire veteran pitching. Maybe a tad early, but with Qs control, the move makes sense to get an TOR arm through 2020. They can afford to give up talent for a guy like Q.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 05:08 PM)
At some point the Braves need to acquire veteran pitching. Maybe a tad early, but with Qs control, the move makes sense to get an TOR arm through 2020. They can afford to give up talent for a guy like Q.

Yep, it worked for Texas when they traded for Hamels in a similar manner.

If the Brewers are seriously considering adding a TOR starter, then Quintana easily makes the most sense for them. They will definitely value his additional year of control over Gray. And honestly, what else is out there that will be controllable?

Seems like any package has to be built around Brinson. I don't see another guy who could be a headliner in their system. After that, I'm not sure what to ask for. Hader would obviously be an interesting guy, but I don't see them trading their most advanced pitching prospect. TBH, their system seems a bit overrated. Ortiz doesn't do much for me and most of their other interesting positional guys are sporting ridiculously high K rates (Diaz, Clark, Ray).

I still think the Astros & Yankees are the best fits for Quintana.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 8, 2017 -> 06:45 AM)
If the Brewers are seriously considering adding a TOR starter, then Quintana easily makes the most sense for them. They will definitely value his additional year of control over Gray. And honestly, what else is out there that will be controllable?

Seems like any package has to be built around Brinson. I don't see another guy who could be a headliner in their system. After that, I'm not sure what to ask for. Hader would obviously be an interesting guy, but I don't see them trading their most advanced pitching prospect. TBH, their system seems a bit overrated. Ortiz doesn't do much for me and most of their other interesting positional guys are sporting ridiculously high K rates (Diaz, Clark, Ray).

I still think the Astros & Yankees are the best fits for Quintana.

I agree that they have to include Brinson or forget it. But if they do, they probably don't have to add a whole lot more.