Anthony Swarzak to Brewers; Sox receive Ryan Cordell

username

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
@jonmorosi

Anthony Swarzak is a sleeper trade candidate. He's having career year with #WhiteSox, will be free agent after '17; 1.00 WHIP in 41 IP. @MLB

Sorry posting from my phone

Swarzak will be pitching for a different team August 1st barring injury. He should be able to return a decent piece.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
@jonmorosi

Anthony Swarzak is a sleeper trade candidate. He's having career year with #WhiteSox, will be free agent after '17; 1.00 WHIP in 41 IP. @MLB

Sorry posting from my phone

That honestly looks better than the embed function so good work!

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 01:35 PM)
What does Swarzak net back? I assume a very mediocre prospect or two

Hard to say. Contenders are always looking for bullpen help at the deadline, and Swarzak is having a career year.

Could be an attractive rental piece for sure.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
Hard to say. Contenders are always looking for bullpen help at the deadline, and Swarzak is having a career year.

Could be an attractive rental piece for sure.

Probably a B prospect that is further away from the majors or a guy that doesn't have a ton of upside but is blocked. Could be interesting enough. Hoping for someone that will slot in the 10-15 range in the Sox top prospects.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)
Probably a B prospect that is further away from the majors or a guy that doesn't have a ton of upside but is blocked. Could be interesting enough. Hoping for someone that will slot in the 10-15 range in the Sox top prospects.

I'd love a Duke type of deal, minus the whole players all suffering horrific injuries part.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 02:02 PM)
I'd love a Duke type of deal, minus the whole players all suffering horrific injuries part.

Swarzak has arguably been even better than Duke was at the time he was traded.

A similar return, ideally minus the injuries, should certainly be possible.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
Swarzak has arguably been even better than Duke was at the time he was traded.

A similar return, ideally minus the injuries, should certainly be possible.

Swarzak also has no history of being this good, or close to it. That will be the big negative when it comes to him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)
Swarzak also has no history of being this good, or close to it. That will be the big negative when it comes to him.

For relievers we live in a "what have you done for me lately" sort of league right now. Swarzak's peripherals are very good and he should generate some interest as a middle relief option for a contender.

He is a pure rental and won't be priced as high as guys like Robertson/Kahnle/Hand/etc.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)

Duke, at the time, wasn't a rental either. Maybe Swarzak's more than occassional dominance makes up for it. A Tilson-like prospect makes some sense.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)
Duke, at the time, wasn't a rental either. Maybe Swarzak's more than occassional dominance makes up for it. A Tilson-like prospect makes some sense.

I don't think years of control matter that much for relievers due to their inherent fickle nature. In fact in many cases they're probably more of a deterrent than a bonus, which I think happened with Robertson this past winter.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 04:59 PM)
I don't think years of control matter that much for relievers due to their inherent fickle nature. In fact in many cases they're probably more of a deterrent than a bonus, which I think happened with Robertson this past winter.

But should be less of an issues with prearb and arb guys. A guy like Kahnle isn't going to be devalued because of his control, but it also is not a guaranteed contract.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 12, 2017 -> 05:11 PM)
But should be less of an issues with prearb and arb guys. A guy like Kahnle isn't going to be devalued because of his control, but it also is not a guaranteed contract.

Kahnle's value increases as a result of his inexpensive control, so much to the point where I do not think he gets traded.

He could be very attractive as a trade chip next deadline if he proves he can be a quality closer

People need to stop saying this has come out of nowhere or that it's a career year that he's very unlikely to replicate. He's pitching basically the exact same as he did for the Yankees last year, minus the ridiculous home runs, and similarly to how he pitched for the Yankees AAA in 2016 and the Indians AAA/MLB in 2015. He added a few mph onto the fastball and has since then been a dependable 9ish K/9 to a 2ish BB/9, 45ish GB%. That's likely gonna lead to around a 3 ERA, with the usual reliever variance depending on LOB%, HR/FB% and BABIP. Add to that his ability to go multiple innings as a former starter and that's a valuable piece.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 09:46 AM)
People need to stop saying this has come out of nowhere or that it's a career year that he's very unlikely to replicate. He's pitching basically the exact same as he did for the Yankees last year, minus the ridiculous home runs, and similarly to how he pitched for the Yankees AAA in 2016 and the Indians AAA/MLB in 2015. He added a few mph onto the fastball and has since then been a dependable 9ish K/9 to a 2ish BB/9, 45ish GB%. That's likely gonna lead to around a 3 ERA, with the usual reliever variance depending on LOB%, HR/FB% and BABIP. Add to that his ability to go multiple innings as a former starter and that's a valuable piece.

What sort of return are you expecting for Swarzak?

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
Maybe a Flete and Rose 2.0 type deal, nothing big, probably actually ranked prospects this time however, some org's 15-30 guy or two

I'd expect more than that since Swarzak is pitching pretty well. He could help a contender in the 7th and 8th innings.

I'd like to get at least one decent prospect back

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
Me neither. Deadline reliever rentals usually fetch much more.

Yep. When you stack the post season teams side-by-side, you usually find that they all have a strong lineup and a strong SP rotation--one sometimes way better than the other, but both usually strong. That's a given to make the playoffs over a 162 game season. But the true differentiator is the bullpen because there is so much variance between teams. That's why serious teams know that if they don't have a strong pen--they are going to get beat (DETROIT TIGERS). Last major expense of a winning team are the bullpen ringers (if you don't already have them). There's no coincidence that when putting the team together, we took some nice gambles on roster positions that are usually in high demand at the deadline--SP and bullpen.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
I'd expect more than that since Swarzak is pitching pretty well. He could help a contender in the 7th and 8th innings.

I'd like to get at least one decent prospect back

So what's a potential Swarzak deal with someone? (WSH, NYY, BOS, etc.)