Anthony Swarzak to Brewers; Sox receive Ryan Cordell

username

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 10:34 PM)
During the rebuild we will need to hang together as we suffer through some miserable seasons. Hopefully the pain and agony is manageable.

I will say it is much easier to accept losing knowing that the organization has made rebuilding the clear priority with the Sale and Eaton trades. A higher draft position will only help us in the future.

Pain and agony may be melodramatic or may not be. I've been furious at the team and need to calm down and see what happens. I apologize for any anger I've caused in responding to my anger. It's just a game and I need to trust Hahn a bit as obviously he's not a dunce to get this far in life.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
Pain and agony may be melodramatic or may not be. I've been furious at the team and need to calm down and see what happens. I apologize for any anger I've caused in responding to my anger. It's just a game and I need to trust Hahn a bit as obviously he's not a dunce to get this far in life.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy, when skies are greg :wub:

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 06:29 PM)
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy, when skies are greg :wub:

This is genius! ^^^^^

We're all in the same boat here. We're all passionate Sox fans and passionate Sox fans can't go through what we've gone through the last decade without feeling anger. Think about it--you don't have a rebuild unless you have gone through sustained failure! Good or fixable situations are never torn down! I can't tell you how many times I've thrown my remote into my couch--it was my signature move almost every 9th inning there for a long time. But I'm relieved that management has finally drawn the line, admitted their mistakes and have committed to a different plan than the one that failed over and over. They aren't perfect but they are clearly working hard on our behalf. They want to win just as much and are finally trying to fix the mess with a different approach. No one likes it--we're all angry and that's why we're trying this. But putting together a winning team year after year is far from easy--or everyone would do it every year. No one would ever lose! We're all going after the same thing though--these boards should charge a "therapy fee" to join. Sure, there will be anger, but we need to be there and hold each other up. We will stand and cheer with each other again!

This man was the hero last night and recently. He got the Sox out of the big jam. And then pitches another inning. He did the same thing the last game the Sox won, protecting Rodon's W.

Robertson and Q are holding their value, but Swarzak's should be soaring.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 02:40 PM)
Don't worry. I'll lay off. I'm just mad at the current state of the team and the fact I can't get over the fact this division sucks this year and I was convinced we still had enough talent to contend had we not traded Sale and signed a few free agents.

If Hahn can get 3-4 players for Melky, and Frazier, good for him and do it now. I happen to think not much of them and that they won't bring anything of note, but if Hahn can bring "something" in I guess I'm wrong. I have expressed my position enough and everybody knows I am down on the team so I will stop ruining the board with my anger at the team.

They were good enough to win this year but you dont think two of the major pieces are any good?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 08:42 AM)
This man was the hero last night and recently. He got the Sox out of the big jam. And then pitches another inning. He did the same thing the last game the Sox won, protecting Rodon's W.

Robertson and Q are holding their value, but Swarzak's should be soaring.

Meanwhile I feel like Kahnle has given up a run or more in his last 3 outings

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
Meanwhile I feel like Kahnle has given up a run or more in his last 3 outings

yea, but they have time to trade him, so given the choice, I'd rather Kahnle struggle a little than Swarzak or Robertson.

I don't know Coors Field well enough to judge those deep fly balls; it didn't look like Hanson played it well, but it didn't look to me like the Rockies OF played fly balls well either (Rockies could probably use an upgrade to their OF defense). And after that, Kahnle pitched fine.

QUOTE (Nardiwashere @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
They were good enough to win this year but you dont think two of the major pieces are any good?

I'm only responding to posts made since I decided to calm down. Haven't you noticed a less obtuse poster?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 12:55 AM)
As opposed to making the worst possible posts for years...

I killed that long mean post about Hahn if anybody wants to kill the responses to it that show it. I think I finally got all the anger out of my system if it's not too late to become more reasonable.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
I read his posts and everyone elses for that matter and for the most part move on. It's easy not to say anything to him because I know he will get his responses without me.

To get attention you must be somewhat annoying and open to criticism .That's why Caulfield is probably the 2nd most notorious member of Soxtalk. Also a catchy member name helps. :P

Thanks for the complimentary non-compliment, lol...

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 01:40 AM)
BWHAHAHAAAAAA....geezus...I almost spit beer out my nose on that! hahaaa...

It's nice that many people are giving me a second chance to become a more reasonable poster now that I have gotten over my Sox anger issues. It proves the world is not always mean after all.

You are potentially more reasonable than a certain statewide-elected officer we all know and love, famous for his austerity policies.

Definitely more reasonable than Ozzie after winning the World Series!

And assistant managers at approximately 75-80% of local neighborhood Applebee's franchises?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 01:50 AM)
You are potentially more reasonable than a certain statewide-elected officer we all know and love, famous for his austerity policies.

Definitely more reasonable than Ozzie after winning the World Series!

And assistant managers at approximately 75-80% of local neighborhood Applebee's franchises?

Ozzie is the "mouth that roared." You roar once too often and you never work again.

If any of you miss Ozzie's quotes I found the last real story by ESPN last year on how he wants to manage again. If you miss Ozzie's quotes, read it closely, you'll see some doozies again. I like the part where a source says he watched too much bullfighting on TV in the Miami manager's office and Cora was the real manager. The one unnamed basebal executive put it best saying, "There's too much risk in what he would say or do, and I don't want to deal with that, honestly. If someone hires him, it might be because they think it will generate interest in their club. I think it's more of an owner move than a general manager move.''

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1642590...anager-openings

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 01:53 PM)
I don't mean to be notorious. It's taken me this long to express my anger at the fact the team isn't going to be good for several more years. I'll just stifle and respond with my opinions of the upcoming trades once they are made.

By now my main points have been made clear and I will not repeat them: I am mad at Hahn, mad at Jerry, still mad at Robin, mad at Renteria's bunting, mad that Fulmer and some of the draft picks have not been so good. Since everybody knows where I stand I will not repeat these positions. If I find myself unable to do this, I'll just go away. Give me a clean slate starting now. I can accept that my positions are well known on the state of the team.

GO SOX!

Take whatever position you want, greg. But stop being so goddamn patronizing with your "stat-niks, draft-niks, and HAN LOVERS" comments. You're directly insulting people -- I don't know why you wouldn't expect angry responses.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
Take whatever position you want, greg. But stop being so goddamn patronizing with your "stat-niks, draft-niks, and HAN LOVERS" comments. You're directly insulting people -- I don't know why you wouldn't expect angry responses.

Yep I'm also dropping those words. I was pissed almightily at the Sox and still am, but am finally over it. I realize we probably are going to suck for 2-3 more seasons and it's wait and see on all those young pitchers and how they perform when they come up. Hopefully those young pitchers will make me forget the era of Shields, Holland and Pelphrey and Miguel, etc. I prefer Black Jack, Sale, Buehrle and Britt Burns (at least the one that mowed down Baltimore for 9 innings).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
Yep I'm also dropping those words. I was pissed almightily at the Sox and still am, but am finally over it. I realize we probably are going to suck for 2-3 more seasons and it's wait and see on all those young pitchers and how they perform when they come up. Hopefully those young pitchers will make me forget the era of Shields, Holland and Pelphrey and Miguel, etc. I prefer Black Jack, Sale, Buehrle and Britt Burns (at least the one that mowed down Baltimore for 9 innings).

You and me both, man.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 02:10 PM)
You and me both, man.

I loved Britt burns. I remember him blowing a 9-2 lead in the fifth inning giving up

six runs. Fregosi left him in and he wound up pitching a complete game, winning 9-8.

Could you imagine that happening today?

QUOTE (zisk @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 09:21 PM)
I loved Britt burns. I remember him blowing a 9-2 lead in the fifth inning giving up

six runs. Fregosi left him in and he wound up pitching a complete game, winning 9-8.

Your moniker on here reminds of the banner at old Comiskey, "Pitch at Risk to Rich Zisk."

Britt Burns was an all star once. He went 70-60 in his career which ended cause of a bad hip at the age of 26. Though he did try a comeback later he never made it back to the bigs.

Here's an exerpt from mlb.com. ...

In 1978, just a few months after pitching for his high school team, a 19-year-old Britt Burns found himself on the mound at Comiskey Park pitching against the Tigers. Burns made it to the fifth inning in his debut and then got hit hard in his next start before returning to the minors.

"At the time the White Sox were struggling," Burns said. "I suppose attendance was down and (Sox owner) Bill Veeck wanted to bring up this high school left-hander to see if he could handle it. I, of course, had no idea what was happening."

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (zisk @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)

It was actually La Russa.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BA...198507130.shtml

Britt Burns' last year with the Sox was '85 (and his last year in the majors). Fregosi's first with the Sox was '86.

And no, that wouldn't happen today. Not that abuse like that was necessarily the reason, but Burns had a degenerative hip condition end his career. Better maintenance and less stress could have lengthened his career.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 08:37 PM)
I killed that long mean post about Hahn if anybody wants to kill the responses to it that show it. I think I finally got all the anger out of my system if it's not too late to become more reasonable.

Don't let them change you or scare you, Greg. If you have an opinion, opine.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 08:26 PM)
Don't let them change you or scare you, Greg. If you have an opinion, opine.

No one has ever said that. But the thought that all opinions are good is flat out false, and if bad opinions are documented, plan on bad opinions being torn to shreds.