Q may get moved "sooner than you think"

Princess Dye

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)
So basically they ARE just going to settle for the return they get for Q.

Since he doesn't know specific names and only that none of the blue chips have been offered yet - he's just speculating against what we've all been pining for... IMO

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
Moncada wasn't on the table until hours before the Sox traded Sale and RH told Dombrowski, Sale was going. As soon as he can tell these teams it's happening, their best offer will then be known. The more the merrier.

Exactly. When Hahn returns phone calls and said that Quintana is being traded soon and to get your final offers in is when we see the "heavy names". Teams will not show their cards until the pressure is on.

Exactly like you said, Moncada was not on the table until Hahn called Dombrowski and informed him about the Nationals Robles + Giolito/Lopez centric deal. Boston then upped the offer to include Moncada and got a deal done.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)
Essentially a deal where we accept a team's second tier guys and allow the buyer to keep the truly elite prospects off the table would be disappointing.

I don't really expect a truly elite for Q...but I would think someone in the 20-35 range.

We'll see.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 12:43 PM)
whitesoxdave‏

@barstoolWSD

Eyeball emojis on eyeball emojis right now #👀

(this is young person slang for "something is happening")

Would something big actually happen on the day of the AS game?

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 06:47 PM)

Nope but could be announced tomorrow or Thursday. When WSD had the shields info, it took about a week to be completed

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)

It might not happen this day, but the ground work very well could. You are going to get a s*** ton of baseball officials in one place, at one time. That might well help move this process along.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
McGuffey's legit. I'd imagine he got a call from someone with the Sox leading to him deleting the tweet. There's a lot of smoke here. Brewers, Yanks, Braves and rockies are the teams. Sox preparing internally for the after effects of a Q trade. They don't want to wait until 7/31. They don't want to feel forced. I think they'll say they don't have to trade him but you can be sure they want to. I think we might be a bit disappointed with return as I've said before.

One thing we can be sure of is this: if the deal is with the Yankees, Astros, Braves, or anyone who's been repeatedly linked to Q to this point, a completed trade is simply a culmination of weeks/months of negotiations where someone either tilts the scales enough with a player tweak or just gets anxious enough to get it done. The meat and potatoes of any Q deal with those teams, as far as what value the Sox have placed on him, has already been established. If the team he goes to is a NEW team that we haven't heard much from (Brewers) you can bet that the deal they offer exceeds the max that some of the other longer-tenured teams in the race have discussed to this point. The kind of deal where Hahn gives Cashman a final phone call and lets him know there's a deal in place unless he wants to totally ante up--where upon Cashman will decline, and then it will be sent in to the league notice. No deal will get done unless it falls within what the Sox determine to meet the high price they are putting on him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
It might not happen this day, but the ground work very well could. You are going to get a s*** ton of baseball officials in one place, at one time. That might well help move this process along.

I can't imagine anything happens today with the all-star game. MLB wouldn't be happy to have it overshadowed. If anything happens, tomorrow would likely be the earliest, or I guess late tonight.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 05:53 PM)
I can't imagine anything happens today with the all-star game. MLB wouldn't be happy to have it overshadowed. If anything happens, tomorrow would likely be the earliest, or I guess late tonight.

Unless you're ARod

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 12:53 PM)

All it would take for the pot to stir is for one contender to increase their offer to get things really moving. Quintana being under 3+seasons of control makes it much easier to part with prospects than for just a rental.

In some regards, Quintana is the domino that needs to fall before the rest of the trade market heats up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
Moncada wasn't on the table until hours before the Sox traded Sale and RH told Dombrowski, Sale was going. As soon as he can tell these teams it's happening, their best offer will then be known. The more the merrier.

I don't quibble with the idea, but the timeline according to that Boston Globe article (which was awesome, nice rundown from DD) was that they had actually established a package beginning with Moncada/Kopech the friday before, and were actuallyhaggling over what appeared to be Devers as the 3rd piece, when Hahn proposed Basabe/Diaz as the 3rd and 4th which sealed it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
To me, it's less about the Sox settling and more he's implying some of the names discussed on here are off the table.

However he's said, "I don't know the names being offered in any case"

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 01:01 PM)
To me, it's less about the Sox settling and more he's implying some of the names discussed on here are off the table.

Hopefully its just the ridiculous trade scenarios that have been bandied about around here that are off the table and not the reasonable offers that we have discussed on here that contained an elite prospect or two.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 06:03 PM)
Hopefully its just the ridiculous trade scenarios that have been bandied about around here that are off the table and not the reasonable offers that we have discussed on here that contained an elite prospect or two.

You mean no Torres and Frazier?