Q traded to Cubs/Jimenez, Cease ++ to Sox

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
Sure Things

Robertson

Frazier

Swarzak

Cabrera

Spice It Up & Sell High

Kahnle

A. Garcia

Didn't See That Coming

Sanchez

Abreu

I'll keep saying it. Abreu should definitely be floated. I am not trading him for some backend top 100 types, but if we can get a legit return (and we should be able to), we should trade him.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:20 PM)
I'm getting sick of people ragging on me regarding the topic. That is why. I admit he is having a good season. His value is as high as it will ever be right now IMO. He is playing very well. I have always said that if he shed some weight, it would help him big time. Turns out it has helped him. He is having a good season.

That being said, he has no place on this team in the future (unless as a coach). Ship him out while his value is high. He is prone to long, painful slumps.

I disagree. While I don't think he's ever going to replicate his 5 WAR rookie season again, I could easily see him still being a 1-2 WAR player into his mid 30s. To envision him as a 1B/DH on this team 4 or even 6 years from now is not out of the realm of possibility, and I doubt he'd be very expensive from either a cost or control point of view, maybe looking at something like a 4 year, $60 million deal following the 2019 season. That has him under contract through his age 36 season.

And while I don't disagree that his value may never be higher, this is similar to the Quintana quandary this offseason - his value was never at its highest, but the market was not suitable to move him at the time. Once more suitors came into the picture, even with a slightly lower value, Quintana was able to be sold at the overall highest market value. Currently, there are not many teams who appear willing to trade for a 1B, and, as I alluded to earlier, I don't think the Sox will sell him as a 2-3 WAR 1B, but rather a 4-5 WAR 1B because they intrinsically value the leadership he provides the major league club. Outside teams will likely not include that value into their own trade offer for him, and they won't come to an agreement.

I won't rule a trade out, but unless the Sox get a top 50 prospect for him, I don't see them moving him.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
I'll keep saying it. Abreu should definitely be floated. I am not trading him for some backend top 100 types, but if we can get a legit return (and we should be able to), we should trade him.

I do not think teams will be willing to offer that much for him. What teams, amongst the contenders, are going to find Abreu's bat so significant an upgrade over other available pieces that they would go above and beyond that to acquire him? If you're just going to DH him, why not just trade a top 250 prospect and get Melky Cabrera instead?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:28 PM)
And while I don't disagree that his value may never be higher, this is similar to the Quintana quandary this offseason - his value was never at its highest, but the market was not suitable to move him at the time. Once more suitors came into the picture, even with a slightly lower value, Quintana was able to be sold at the overall highest market value. Currently, there are not many teams who appear willing to trade for a 1B, and, as I alluded to earlier, I don't think the Sox will sell him as a 2-3 WAR 1B, but rather a 4-5 WAR 1B because they intrinsically value the leadership he provides the major league club. Outside teams will likely not include that value into their own trade offer for him, and they won't come to an agreement.

I won't rule a trade out, but unless the Sox get a top 50 prospect for him, I don't see them moving him.

The Yankees need a 1B bad. He doesn't have an albtross contract. They have a nice system that we are surely familiar with. The match is there.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)
Hahn would be crazy not to. I don't see Abreu's value being any higher than it currently is honestly. I expect him to regress to his numbers of the past two years by 2018, considering he will be another year above 30. You most definitely shop him and trade for what you can get.

What value? I see none on the trade market.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
The Yankees just acquired Cooper from the Brewers. Don't think they plan to invest heavily into the position.

I don't think the Yanks are dumb enough to think that Garrett Cooper's career year in the PCL bandboxes is their answer to their woes. They may not be interested in giving up long term assets for a 1B, but I certainly think they would be interested in the Abreu.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
The Yankees just acquired Cooper from the Brewers. Don't think they plan to invest heavily into the position.

Are we drinking the 2020 coolaid yet?

C- Collins

1B - Sheets/Beer

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - Burger

RF - Garcia

CF - Robert

LF - Jimenez

DH - Sheets/Beer

Bench - Basabe/Adolfo

Kopech/Giolito/Lopez/Hansen/Cease/Dunning/Adams/Guerrero/Stephens/Flores

Burdi/Fulmer

Drinking the Coolaid by the gallon

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)
Are we drinking the 2020 coolaid yet?

C- Collins

1B - Sheets/Beer

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - Burger

RF - Garcia

CF - Robert

LF - Jimenez

DH - Sheets/Beer

Bench - Basabe/Adolfo

Kopech/Giolito/Lopez/Hansen/Cease/Dunning/Adams/Guerrero/Stephens/Flores

Burdi/Fulmer

Drinking the Coolaid by the gallon

Absolutely. Anyone who doesn't pan out can be supplemented by FA signings, since we'll have about 80mm+ to spend year over year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:31 PM)
I do not think teams will be willing to offer that much for him. What teams, amongst the contenders, are going to find Abreu's bat so significant an upgrade over other available pieces that they would go above and beyond that to acquire him? If you're just going to DH him, why not just trade a top 250 prospect and get Melky Cabrera instead?

What? Um, lets see, Yankees ( no one), Red Sox (Moreland) Tampa (LoMo), Houston (Gurriel), the Angels (if they think they are still in it with Trout returning), Seattle if they think they are still in it, Texas if they want to be in it. Heck, even the Dodgers could likely use him.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)
Absolutely. Anyone who doesn't pan out can be supplemented by FA signings, since we'll have about 80mm+ to spend year over year.

Don't even get me started on the potential of blowing our wad on a big time free agent.

I don't know if I could handle our roster adding a Machado or Harper.

C - Collins

1B - Sheets/Beer

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - Burger/Machado

RF - Garcia/Harper

CF - Robert

LF - Jimenez

DH - Sheets/Beer/Burger

Holy F*ck

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)
What? Um, lets see, Yankees ( no one), Red Sox (Moreland) Tampa (LoMo), Houston (Gurriel), the Angels (if they think they are still in it with Trout returning), Seattle if they think they are still in it, Texas if they want to be in it. Heck, even the Dodgers could likely use him.

I think the Sox would need a considerable package in order to move Abreu. I see them keeping him another season or two to mentor younger players, and as a potential bat to flip later

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:47 PM)
I think the Sox would need a considerable package in order to move Abreu. I see them keeping him another season or two to mentor younger players, and as a potential bat to flip later

Agree - there's not much of a market this year.

Yanks don't appear ready to make serious deals yet. Wait a year, and they may be willing to pay.

Or Henley could be scuffling this time next year. Or whatever - the market couldn't be worse than it is this year.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)

The Yankees still have Greg Bird long-term, so they have no use for an Abreu investment. Logan Morrison and Yuliesky Gurriel have been pretty damn good this season. Neither Seattle nor Texas should be hard buyers, and the Angels don't have enough to acquire him. The Dodgers have some guy named Cody Bellinger who they can play at 1B.

Unless the Red Sox are giving up Devers for Abreu - hint: they aren't - then there is no point in dealing Abreu.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
Don't even get me started on the potential of blowing our wad on a big time free agent.

C - Collins

1B - Sheets/Beer

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - Burger/Machado

RF - Garcia/Harper

CF - Robert

LF - Jimenez

DH - Sheets/Beer/Burger

Holy F*ck

If we land Harper, I hope wetbutt24 breaks that news.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:46 PM)

C - Collins

1B - Sheets/Beer

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - Burger/Machado

RF - Garcia/Harper

CF - Robert

LF - Jimenez

DH - Sheets/Beer/Burger

Holy F*ck

I'd like to see Adolfo in RF. Avi will be traded as soon as it makes sense, like Rodon- in my humble opinion.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 05:01 PM)
I'd like to see Adolfo in RF. Avi will be traded as soon as it makes sense, like Rodon- in my humble opinion.

I do like how we have rapidly started filling holes that existed within the organization.

We went from having zero prospect depth 12 months ago, to filling outfield, infield, pitcher and catcher big time