Q traded to Cubs/Jimenez, Cease ++ to Sox

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)
Are we drinking the 2020 coolaid yet?

C- Collins

1B - Sheets/Beer

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - Burger

RF - Garcia

CF - Robert

LF - Jimenez

DH - Sheets/Beer

Bench - Basabe/Adolfo

Kopech/Giolito/Lopez/Hansen/Cease/Dunning/Adams/Guerrero/Stephens/Flores

Burdi/Fulmer

Drinking the Coolaid by the gallon

Can I ask a favor to please leave Beer off these lists. You are confusing the novices and it just looks odd him being among players we already have.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 03:22 PM)
Can I ask a favor to please leave Beer off these lists. You are confusing the novices and it just looks odd him being among players we already have.

If you just squint your eyes, it magically goes away. ;)

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)
Not when you have that big ol' Tank for Beer watchamacallit ! :P

Please don't invite conversations to meander into the realm of candy bar aficionados... as this thread is about THE trade... and distractions from serious baseball discussion here are not appreciated. Kudos are looked down upon and are not tolerated.

That said, looking forward to watching Eloy tonight... you?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 05:34 PM)
You know how much sox fans love q when we are also pissed at a guy saying we got a great trade because the player we gave up isn't any good.

Rum bunter is just pissed the forever suck pirates didn't get him.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)
What? Um, lets see, Yankees ( no one), Red Sox (Moreland) Tampa (LoMo), Houston (Gurriel), the Angels (if they think they are still in it with Trout returning), Seattle if they think they are still in it, Texas if they want to be in it. Heck, even the Dodgers could likely use him.

Dodgers are pretty ok at first base.

Hey guys....I like this alot...was a nice surprise to hear the trade on the radio as I was going to a job site. Nothing more needs to be said on the haul. It's fantastic and Hahn has done a excellent job so far. He got the package he wanted in the perfect window to trade Q.

That guy with the Pirates twitter account always sounds salty...so that's fairly normal for him.

When giving up a talent and value like Jose Quintana, I would think the Sox should have gotten at least one player back that is just about MLB ready. I wish that along with Cease and Jimenez the Sox would have gotten back someone like Candelario or Happ or Schwarber.

I know Jimenez is a highly rated prospect as is Cease, but being so far away from the major leagues makes them a very risky return for a proven talent like Q who is under control with such a reasonable contract.

I know I'm almost alone in my opinion by the ecstatic reaction of almost everyone here to the trade. I wonder if the Seattle fans were this excited when the Mariners acquired Jeremy Reed + for Freddy Garcia, who was to become a free agent.

Again, not knocking the potential of Jimenez and Cease, just would have liked at least one proven major league ready player to go along with them for a proven commodity like Quintana, one of the best and most consistent left handed starters in baseball signed to a bargain contract for several more years.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 06:10 PM)
When giving up a talent and value like Jose Quintana, I would think the Sox should have gotten at least one player back that is just about MLB ready. I wish that along with Cease and Jimenez the Sox would have gotten back someone like Candelario or Happ or Schwarber.

I know Jimenez is a highly rated prospect as is Cease, but being so far away from the major leagues makes them a very risky return for a proven talent like Q who is under control with such a reasonable contract.

I know I'm almost alone in my opinion by the ecstatic reaction of almost everyone here to the trade. I wonder if the Seattle fans were this excited when the Mariners acquired Jeremy Reed + for Freddy Garcia, who was to become a free agent.

Again, not knocking the potential of Jimenez and Cease, just would have liked at least one proven major league ready player to go along with them for a proven commodity like Quintana, one of the best and most consistent left handed starters in baseball signed to a bargain contract for several more years.

First off, nothing you're saying is unreasonable. Second, I disagree completely. If we were trying to win next season I'd be a little bit more on board with what you're saying but given that the Sox aren't trying to compete next year either you just go for the best talent possible here and not worry quite as much where they're at in their development path.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
This is a completely reasonable response and "criticism" of the trade. I disagree with it in a lot of ways, but it's totally understandable.

And I am sure RH and Co were aware of that...I am sure they would have loved to get at least one guy with the potential of Eloy that was closer, but my guess is all of those guys were "untouchable."

It may very well be not that teams simply will not trade elite prospects that are near MLB ready for the foreseeable future.

Sometimes you have to take the best you can get.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 06:10 PM)

Sox had to weigh potential risk with potential upside. I don't mind them shooting for prospects further away, but with higher ceilings.

Haha stated this was by far the best offer that the Sox had received.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 07:10 PM)

The fact that he's the 5th rated prospect in baseball and only at single A should tell you something. White Sox surely could've had someone closer to MLB ready but IMO that can give you a false sense of security, particularly since we don't need someone ready to start next season. Finally, I think the Jeremy Reed comparison is poor in terms of talent comparison and ironically shows how some "MLB ready" prospects can fool you.

Pitcher Starts IP/Start WAR K% BB% K-BB% Strike% IF/FB% HR/FB% Fastball (mph)

Jose Quintana 96 6.3 13.9 22% 6% 16% 64% 11% 9% 91.8

Jon Lester 97 6.3 13.4 25% 6% 19% 64% 10% 11% 91.8

Found this on Fangraphs. They're basically the same pitcher the past 3 years. Lester gets more K for being in NL. Yet one has long been considered by many one of the top 5 left handers in the game and the other is a #3 starter. Gotta love advanced statistics in baseball.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 04:34 PM)
The fact that he's the 5th rated prospect in baseball and only at single A should tell you something. White Sox surely could've had someone closer to MLB ready but IMO that can give you a false sense of security, particularly since we don't need someone ready to start next season. Finally, I think the Jeremy Reed comparison is poor in terms of talent comparison and ironically shows how some "MLB ready" prospects can fool you.

Ok, the Reed thing makes me wonder, and I want some input from older folks...

Back in the day, late 1990s-early 2000s, I was a pre-teen so my actual understanding of prospects was pretty limited, but it seemed like we had a pretty kickass system. Rauch, Reed, Owens, Borchard, Sweeney, Honel, Hummel, Malone, Wells, Fogg, Barcelo...just to name a few. None turned into anything for us, and very few did anything for anyone else. (I admit I may be squeezing together players from different eras too).

So, that said, was our farm system ever like this?