Robertson deal close?

Heads22

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I'm hoping happened.

Sox/Red Sox agreed on a Frazier deal pending physicals. Yanks (who have had interest in Frazier) placed a call to discuss a corresponding move--likely DRob and found out that our deal hit a snag. Then immediately started inquiring about adding Frazier to a DRob deal to help them instead and to block him from going to Boston. SO...instead of simply picking a different prospect from Boston and completing the deal, we switched our focus to the Yankees, who I believe have a MUCH more attractive prospect situation with who they have and the upcoming roster crunch they are facing. That's why the talk has calmed down on the Boston side of things and other names are starting to come into play (Lowrie) for them. I'm crossing my fingers HARD in hopes we can land a couple of players from the Yankees system. To get DRob, some of those names are already in play in talks...I just like that situation much better for us. Maybe I'm on an island.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:29 AM)
I legit just don't remember. I certainly wouldn't be shocked if there were people trying to dfa Rob, I just don't recall.

I don't think so, but like you, many times I said we should move on from Avi (of course that was when we were trying to contend) and I would have DFA'd him probably a year and a half ago. That said, this past off-season, when everyone flipped that we offered him arb, I had a totally different stance because he wasn't in anyone's way and he did clearly have talent, so why not give him the at bats to see if we could gain upside.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)
Fairly strong last year I believe. Also to just give him the Yankees for salary relief.

Now we're talking about eating a bit of cash to get someone like Andujar, Groome or Soto.

I'll take credit for that one. When it was reported the Yankees claimed him off waivers, I didn't think it was a bad idea to let them take on his contract for salary relief, he wasn't gonna be on the next playoff team.

Trading him for a good prospect will be a better result, but I have no regrets.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
Here's what I'm hoping happened.

Sox/Red Sox agreed on a Frazier deal pending physicals. Yanks (who have had interest in Frazier) placed a call to discuss a corresponding move--likely DRob and found out that our deal hit a snag. Then immediately started inquiring about adding Frazier to a DRob deal to help them instead and to block him from going to Boston. SO...instead of simply picking a different prospect from Boston and completing the deal, we switched our focus to the Yankees, who I believe have a MUCH more attractive prospect situation with who they have and the upcoming roster crunch they are facing. That's why the talk has calmed down on the Boston side of things and other names are starting to come into play (Lowrie) for them. I'm crossing my fingers HARD in hopes we can land a couple of players from the Yankees system. To get DRob, some of those names are already in play in talks...I just like that situation much better for us. Maybe I'm on an island.

Hopefully Frazier and Robertson/Kahnle goes to one of them, Robertson/Kahnle goes to the other, and the White Sox end up with 3-4 quality prospects out of it, 2-3 of which are hitters.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 12:43 PM)
Hopefully Frazier and Robertson/Kahnle goes to one of them, Robertson/Kahnle goes to the other, and the White Sox end up with 3-4 quality prospects out of it, 2-3 of which are hitters.

Bats are great, but I'd certainly be interested in adding arms as well. Our AA club is devoid of any real positional prospects right now, and I think the system could use more quality left handed pitching prospects.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
I legit just don't remember. I certainly wouldn't be shocked if there were people trying to dfa Rob, I just don't recall.

You really think there are people on Soxtalk who would have panicked and wanted DRob DFA'd????