Chisox Baseball on the road Tuesday, August 29th at 7:10 PM

elrockinMT

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 08:35 PM)
Everyone but Frank Thomas.

Nah, I don't agree with that. Our beleaguered fan base has usually been pretty welcoming to young players being brought in. The young infusion of players in the early 90s and then again in the early 00s seemed to be received well by the base. I think the same sort of reception is happening as we speak as this first wave of young players are now arriving.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 03:52 AM)
Nah, I don't agree with that. Our beleaguered fan base has usually been pretty welcoming to young players being brought in. The young infusion of players in the early 90s and then again in the early 00s seemed to be received well by the base. I think the same sort of reception is happening as we speak as this first wave of young players are now arriving.

Kitekrazy is closer to the truth than you give him credit for

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 11:13 PM)
I think I'm closer to the truth than you give Sox fans credit for.

I think you're half as close as half as you would like; and I think less than half of you is right as well as you deserve.

QUOTE (Quin @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 09:20 PM)
I think you're half as close as half as you would like; and I think less than half of you is right as well as you deserve.

And we both know I am 100% right on how the astute Sox fan base has treated young players throughout the years.

suprising no one mentioned how asstastic the umpire was tonight..

That was as many outside balls called strikes I can remember in a long time.. also mlb replay needs a lot of work.. there really doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to their review calls....Hanson was clearly safe.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 10:22 PM)
I would love to see the examples of fan doubt during Franks early years.

"ExampleS"? Plural? Show us one example, even one, of "fan doubt during Frank's early years". It doesn't exist, at least anything representing credible analysis.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 10:09 PM)
Kitekrazy is closer to the truth than you give him credit for

I believe in the sophomore slump. Many guys come up once the season started and do fine. Then when they start that full season that magic doesn't happen. It could be scouts got a better angle on them or the pressure after having success. I expected that to happen to Frank but it didn't. We see so many examples of this. I think Alexei was voted the best player in Chicago before playing a full season, then there was Avi, Beckham.

Sometimes I do fear that organization may be bringing guys up too soon. Remember Tim Anderson was not going to be brought up last season. There's always this debate of when to bring someone up.

I do wonder if Renteria's strength is getting more out of younger players. Some of them probably listen to the hitting coach too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 11:22 PM)
I would love to see the examples of fan doubt during Franks early years.

There wasn't. He's a HOF player. Amazed to see a young hitter with that much intelligence at the plate. Pitchers couldn't pitch around him without putting him on base. I hope we get to see someone like that again in a Sox uniform. I know everyone is into HRs but Frank could place the ball anywhere when guys tried to pitch around. I'd love to see the games Frank played before the steroid era. What an intelligent hitter.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 01:07 AM)
I believe in the sophomore slump. Many guys come up once the season started and do fine. Then when they start that full season that magic doesn't happen. It could be scouts got a better angle on them or the pressure after having success. I expected that to happen to Frank but it didn't. We see so many examples of this. I think Alexei was voted the best player in Chicago before playing a full season, then there was Avi, Beckham.

Sometimes I do fear that organization may be bringing guys up too soon. Remember Tim Anderson was not going to be brought up last season. There's always this debate of when to bring someone up.

I do wonder if Renteria's strength is getting more out of younger players. Some of them probably listen to the hitting coach too.

I think every player is different. Some young players arrive from AAA ready to play and some jump right from AA( mostly positional) and produce. Others take 2-3 years in ML before they find their niche.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 12:07 AM)

I don't know if it is PC to say, but is it coincidence that so many Latin players took a large step forward this year?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
I don't know if it is PC to say, but is it coincidence that so many Latin players took a large step forward this year?

Possibly, but I also think some Sox players have benefited from the juiced ball too, including Matt Davidson.